Planet Series: The Sun & Jupiter

dadsnook2000

It seems like an appropriate time to move forward in our discussions and sharing about the planets, specifically how Sun and Jupiter work together. This post will set some context for our discussion. And perhaps Wizzle will contribute another series of comments about our "lucky" planet.

Jupiter and Saturn are often refered to as "social" planets, the three outer planets as "generational" or "universal" or whatever, while the innter planets are typically referred to as "personal" planets. This is something that I have always disagreed with. Symbols tend to express themselves in various ways, most often they express themselves in every way possible. I have seen "personal" planets represent "social" or "mundane/worldly" affairs -- take the 9-11 airplane attack on the World Trade Center where Mercury was on the Ascendant signifying a "message." Not a personal message but a political world-wide message. On the other hand I recently did a chart for someone who had Pluto on the Ascendant degree. This person (also due to other factors) had an intense, magnetic, powerful influence upon another person -- more so than you would normally see in a chart having Pluto on/near the Ascendant. This was not a worldly situation, a social situation, but a very powerful personal level situation.

So, in these discussions to follow, we should be open to seeing, considering and hearing about a variety of situations and actions that span the whole range of experiences.

Together, Sun and Jupiter tend to frame our general health and attitude toward the outside world, bringing a sunny and happy, contented-but-wanting-more attitude to life, and actions such that they bring recognition and opportunities to the person who strongly embodies this Sun-Jupiter relationship.

Jupiter itself has been described as "bountiful, lucky, happy, expanding, greatness, wealth, business success -- as well as over-indulgence, greed, excessiveness. These commonly used words seem to be "personal" in nature and not social or mundane/worldly, don't they? Is this my bias or is this reflective of an earlier point that needs to be more carefully appreciated? Is Jupiter "social", "business", "cultural", or "personal" -- or all of them?

In my next post we will start our exploration of Sun-Jupiter, how the Sun can be seen to infuse and direct Jupiter's promises. We can again use the Phase Relationship Method in addition to any Aspects that some might have, and we will certainly want to look at folding in the Houses that are occupied by these two in order to see how Jupiter's promise works out. So, start reviewing your charts, see what aspects you might have between Sun and Jupiter, consider what houses in your chart that these two occupy, see if you can determine the Phase Relationship they have. And, consider whether Jupiter seems to express itself in your chart on a 1) Personal level, 2) Social, Business level, 3) a Worldly/Mundane/Generational level.
Dave

Crystelle

Dave,
Are the phases all the same for all of the relationships... or do they change in reference to the planets?
Crystelle

dadsnook2000

Phase meanings

Phase meanings retain their basic meanings, however it makes sense to "tweek" them relative to the secondary meanings they have. We'll be exploring this. Dave

dadsnook2000

Phases & Retrogadation

As we move into working with the outer planets we need to recognize that they exhibit a retrograde motion for significant portions of each year. There is nothing quick here as there are in the inner planets. An outer planet, and this is more true as you move outward toward Neptune and Pluto, may approach 1/3 of the year exhibiting retrograde movement. For the record, lets look at just a few examples:

MARS: On Oct. 1, 2005, with the Sun at 7 Libra, Mars turned retrograde at 23 Taurus. Mars was 194 degrees ahead of the Sun, more than a full opposition.
On Dec. 20, 2005 with the Sun at 18 Sag, Mars turned direct at 8 Taurus. Mars was 140 degrees ahead of the Sun at that time. Mars backtracked 54 degrees in relative terms compared to the Sun's position, 15 degrees in zodiac span.

So, Mars turned retrograde while in the Seeker Phase and fell back to near the start of the Analyst Phase. So, we have a situation where Mars can move direct thru the Analyst Phase and well into the Seeker Phase before retracing its steps back thru the Analyst Phase, and then preceeding fully thru the Seeker Phase and onto the rest of its cycle. It may be necessary to go back to the Sun-Mars threads and add some clarifying footnotes.

JUPITER: On Feb. 2, 2005, with the Sun at 13 Aquarius, Jupiter turned retro at 18 Libra, 245 degrees ahead of the Sun. On June 4, 2005, with the Sun at 14 Gemini, Jupiter turned direct at 8 Libra, 145 degrees ahead of the Sun.

So, Jupiter turned retrograde after entering the Believer Phase, when it abruptly started backing up all the way back thru the Seeker Phase and the bulk of the Analyst Phase. Symbolically, we have to add to our understanding of the Phase meanings to address this action.

So, lets lay out some simple key words for our Phases before we go ahead and explore these Phases in depth. Since there are no book references that I'm aware of, we have to be able to frame these meanings ourselves.

We will consider these Keywords for Sun and for Jupiter:
SUN -- Vitality, Will, Health, Focus
JUPITER -- Growth, Expansion, Preservation, Socialness

We will next take what we have learned about each Phases meaning and create, as we go, a Sun-Jupiter Phase Meaning. Following this, as each list participant responds and comments, we will refine each phase's meaning and will have, collictively, broken new astrological ground -- we will have all done something that nobody else has ever done.

A SIDE NOTE: I am repreinting each thread/topic we have covered so far so that they might be reproduced in Adobe Format. We'll have to see if we can arrange later for Solandia to store these for downloading similar to Thirteen's Tarot Lessons. In this way we can all have copies of what we have all done together. Those copies would have diagrams that explained more clearly what we have been doing. We'll see how that goes.

PERFORMER PHASE: 0 to 45 degrees; Sun to Jupiter.
One gravitates toward, or acts as if, one (who) was wealthy, generous, and highly optimistic. One tends to "live large" and encourage others, enjoys the fruits of life and is highly gregarious in nature. The only aspect that might occur in this phase is the opening semi-sextile

WORKER PHASE: 45 to 90 degrees; Sun to Jupiter.
One seems to find it difficult to demand or live with oportunities and expectations of success, or offers of encouragement and support from others. If ones parents or a past situation reflected a level of comfort above what is now experienced, one finds it hard to achieve that same situation in the same way -- one looks for better or different solutions to finding improvement. There are two possible aspects that might occur in this phase; the semi-square and the sextile.

ACTIVIST PHASE: 90 to 135 degrees; Sun to Jupiter
One tends to strive for too much, to go overboard in acquisitions or enjoyment of life -- affecting health, reputation, leadership image and ability to move ahead cleanly and effectively. Too much may be attempeted and too much left undone. Aspects that might be effective in this phase are the square and the trine.

ANALYST PHASE: 135 to 180 degrees; Sun to Jupiter
One's energy and vitality is more effectively directed to achieve and create opportunities. Adjustments in life style can help improve health and an ability to reach out to others. Retrograde: Vitality and health is threatened, paths to self-improvement are eagerly sought, ones resources are overcommited and not directed effectively. Aspects that can occur in this phase include the sesququadrate and inconjunct.

SEEKER PHASE: 180 to 215 degrees; Sun to Jupiter
One proposes opportunities for others, encourages support, leads efforts to direct and maintain levels of success or wealth. Choices may be made that balance ones will, health, resources against ones hopes, commitments, greed or expectations of what others can offer. Imperial demands or selfless giving. Retrograde: One has to re-constitute prior offers or contracts, balance out ones resources, re-evaluate expectations or demands. Aspects that can occur in this phase include the opposition, the closing inconjunct.

BELIEVER PHASE: 215 to 270 degrees; Sun to Jupiter
One uses one's reputation and prior successes to strive towards improvements in ones own life and immediate circle/family. One might join in another's push to expand resources or some crusade of social cause with the hope of gain. Retrograde: Retrograde motion merely brings one close to this phase for a short period of time. One sees how others can leverage their resources to benefit others but fails to heed this demonstration of support. Aspects that can occur in this phase: Closing sesquiquadrate, closing trine.

CHANGER PHASE: 270 to 315 degrees; Sun to Jupiter
One defines new opportunites, creates substantial visions for oneself and for others. Health improves, vitality is infused within ones nature and the projects that one works at. Great recognition might be achieved. Aspects that can occur include the closing square and closing sextile.

PROPHET PHASE: 315 to 359 degrees; Sun to Jupiter
One might lay out paths and visions for others, one bequeaths to others as a way of streamlining ones life and way of life. Wealth and resources become a tool for the benefit of others or to escape a life style that is no longer attractive.

Now these statements are "first voiced" possiblities based upon what has been established in astrological practice but which we are extending so as to investigate and confirm these phase meanings. Your feedback and discussion will show how close we have come to a successful set of statements.
Dave.

rcb30872

Hi Dave

I will give it a go:

Sun ~ 7 Vir 24
Jupiter ~ 28 Sag 32

So, if I am not mistaken then that would be 110 degrees, (doing maths in head, so I am hoping that it is roughly right). Which would make me in the Activist Phase. I can somewhat relate to what has been written, I do tend to take on far too much, and think that I can actually do more than I am actually capable, and when I do try to do it, my health suffers.

:love:

Bec

dadsnook2000

I'll step up with the first response

My Sun-Jupiter Phase is the WORKER PHASE. With Sun at 21 Virgo and Jupiter at 16 Sag, I'm 5 degrees short of the opening square (perhaps close enough to the square to be in the ACTIVIST PHASE).

I may have to disagree with my own statement. I don't think I've tried so much to be different or to find a different solution so much as I've tried to achieve my sucess within a totally different (generational) environment. My dad and mother achieved a comfortable life thru sheer hard work, long hours of effort. I've done it with my mind and imagination, a sense of just throwing myself into situations -- many of which were over my head, but in all of which I found a way to succeed. I won't bore you with the many details, only that as I now look at it (having never considered this before) I succeeded mostly on my own without benefit of contacts, although I also worked hard. Its uncanny, the more I think about this, the more I think I followed the same paths the same ways -- just at a different time and under totally different circumstances.

EDITED TO ADD:
My Sun is in the 4th, my Jupiter in the 6th. So, my values and beliefs (I did it may way -- F. Sinatra) are expressed thru my work and personal efforts. I apply my skills for my satisfaction.
Dave.
Dave

stardancer

PERFORMER PHASE: 0 to 45 degrees; Sun to Jupiter.
One gravitates toward, or acts as if, one (who) was wealthy, generous, and highly optimistic. One tends to "live large" and encourage others, enjoys the fruits of life and is highly gregarious in nature. The only aspect that might occur in this phase is the opening semi-sextile

Sun 28.03 Libra 1st house
Jup 21.53 Virgo 12th house

A 36.10 aspect. Division of 360 by 10 is 36. I've always wondered whether a 36 degree aspect should be important since it's a tenth harmonic. Or acts like a 5th (half of 72). Sorry, Dave, if this is out of the scope of this thread, but I've wondered. Also, do you consider a 45 aspect a semi square?

Anyway, I resemble the remarks above, but not all of the time and then only in it's place. I love living large and party hardy, but within my own boundaries. I also need equal peace, quiet and down time. Even at work, I like to keep pushing, and be busy and some times very gregarious. I call myself a Jupiter person (as opposed to a Saturn person - I really do sort people into either piles, lol). Saturn people annoy me. :eek:) Referring to Jupiter and Saturn as social planets makes sense if you look at it this way: there are worldly people, who are diverse. Then you have structured people who like safe. (And all the other millions and millions of variations). Jupiter vs. Saturn. Of course, the whole chart should be considered and I really don't snub a Saturn person, unless they are so utterly Saturn it's intolerable. But I really relate to Jupiter concepts and believe in learning and enjoying (which is one and the same thing to me).

Okay, I strayed again speaking of Saturn when we're not there yet. But I always compare the two. Can't talk about one without the other.

sarai21

My Jupiter28Cap04 and Sun16Aq38 sit in the Prophet phase. Can you clarify what you mean by resources? I can see that if it involves the second house- but how would this be in a first house situation? (there's my Cap rising focusing on money...)
Secondly(and a bit off topic) I have heard that Jupiter and its placement can affect a person's weight. Has anyone else heard of this? It would be an interesting thing to note in a chart reading if so.
Fiona

stardancer

imo, Jupiter = fat. Saturn = skinny.

rainwolf

I would say that they are tendencies, and that they are not just 'fat' or 'skinny'. Taking in all degrees of fat and skinny, this could mean that you gain a little weight around the holidays and lose it slowly, or you remain the same weight (restricted weight) at the same time.

I believe I am in the believer stage. Using prior success sounds like what I use for future improvements, in many different aspects.

(Sun sag, Jup pisces, almost trine)