Minimum Age?

Knight of Wands

Heya Peeps...

Just wondering what people think the minimum age for professional Tarot reading is? (I'm not thinking of going professional yet, don't worry lol - I need to get lots better yet) I'm just wondering because I know people wouldn't be inclined to pay for a 15/16 year old to read their cards, so I wonder what age people would be prepred to pay?

I hope you're understanding what I'm saying lol!

KoW

Little Baron

Personally, I would have no problem with a 15 or 16 year old reading my cards.

I suppose it is only people whose perceptions of what a tarot reader should be that might not be so willing to have a reading from a person of that age - but then they might be disappointed if you didn't wear the wizard outfit and slam the 'death' card on the table as well.

I read a great autobiography by Sonya Choquette. She was not a taroist, even though initially, she used playing cards as a prop in her psychic readings. But she was very young when she started and many people came after school to pay her to read for them. If you have got the gift KoW, I don't think it matters to people how old you are.

I am almost jealous that I didn't start reading the cards at your age. I think about how much better I would be at doing so now.

LB

Grizabella

I think if you want to start charging for readings and you're 15 or 16 years old, you'd probably have better luck charging young people for your readings. An older person might not be so willing to pay you, but you never know. All you can do is try it and see. You might be surprised and find that you get plenty of paid sessions from older folks, too.

Sinner

Perhaps, but I know how feel KoW, alot of adults may feel belittled if they were to recieve advice on a relationship or such from someone younger than them. They probably won't be willing to open up as much on things they feel a younger person may not understand. There is a pride issue I suppose, unless the querents know you, since strangers may judge quickly by appearence..

Thats why its alot easier to do things online where people can't know your age and so won't have related expectations.

Satori

I know some readers don't like to read for the younger crowd...I have read cards for 16 yos, but no younger. And with parental permission at that.

As for having a reading by a younger person...I guess I'd go for it. I think that depending on the reader they might not see things I wouldn't want them to pick up on, or at least stuff that is beyond their own maturity level. I don't think they'd know how to process it.

And if they did, just being who I am, I'd wonder what kind of life experience they were having, anyway!

I think that I wouldn't be drawn to the 15 yo's table if I had a choice of readers. I"m just being honest.

Little Baron

I think I would be very curious to see how the younger reader translated the cards. I have met some very mature and uncomplicated 'young' people over the years. And I like to help young people with their studies, if I can. It is inspiring.

But I can see that people less familiar with tarot might already have worries (about the cards and their lives) that might not be settled by the vision of a younger professional on the other side of the table. Some readers are not cheap and they might think they are not getting their money's worth.

But I think that a youthful approach can often be very uncluttered. Young people, without the weight of experience, can often direct you straight to the obvious and deliver the message without pussy-footing around the houses.

This is not completely on topic, but it kind of illustrates the point.

My younger cousin is a hairdresser. When he was training and quite young, he worked for a leading international hairdressing chain. A man came into the salon one day. He had hair around the side of his head but was bald on top. At one side, he had grown the hair very long and combed it over the bald patch. He asked for a trim to the sides.
My cousin, being innocent in his approach but one to speak his mind, said that he wouldn't do it. The man asked him why. My cousin, unseen by anyone else, lifted the 'combed over' hair up and away from the man's head. He told him that if he cut it away, he could make him look far better. The man was a little hesitant as he had had his hair the same way for years, but in probably being seduced by cousins charm (he is a lovely and kind young man), agreed. He cut away all of the combed over hair and trimmed the rest. The man paid and left.
A week or so later, he came back. He said he wanted to come in and personally thank my cousin. He said that so many friends and colleagues said they had wanted to suggest he got rid of a hairstyle that looked a bit silly and aged him for a long time but were too scared to approach the matter. He said he had received so many compliments and was feeling much more confident. He continued to visit the salon afterwards.

What I mean, by relaying this story, is that sometimes, an uncomplicated person (occasionally, by youth) can cut to the main focus and try and help resolve. In some situations, anothers life-experience may be an obstacle, rather than an advantage.

LB

Knight of Wands

Heya,

Firstly, thanks everyone for replying :) Its been interesting hearing all your thoughts.

Lyric said:
I think if you want to start charging for readings and you're 15 or 16 years old, you'd probably have better luck charging young people for your readings. An older person might not be so willing to pay you, but you never know.

This is what I was thinking, that younger might be more inclined simply because I'm younger and nearer their age. If I did go professional (which I'm not yet) I wouldn't expect a whole lot of customers because I feel that like Sinner said there might be a pride issue, and that people might not feel I have enough life experience to read on them.

This can sorta be seen in my social circle, my friends are supportive and most think that I can do it, whereas most of my family (who are older than me) doubt that I can do it and others doesn't think it 'works'.

In response to what you said LittleBuddha, (going a little bit off-topic here)I'm very happy I started Tarot at this Age because It means I'll have a lot more time to do it really in my life. Also, its a valuable life tool and I think it does help me in everyday life.

Thanks again for all your responses,

KoW

Sheri

I think it is great that you already have a path at your age! When I was that age, I was dodging homework and doing nothing constructive with my time for sure! ;)

I think that older folks might also feel uncomfortable with some topics in front of young person and don't want to be embarassed. But you sound mature beyond your years so your age might not matter. As I get older, I find it harder and harder to determine how old some people are because they all look younger than me! :p

Good luck to you!

valeria :)

Knight of Wands

Aww, thanks Valeria :D

KoW

jmd

Though I personally would not normally do a reading for a minor (actually, I prefer to not read for anyone under 21), I would have no hesitation in receiving a reading from someone who was in their teens in an environment such as a course, a 'psychic'-fair type open room, etc.

For myself, it would not be the age of the reader, but more whether they seemed, at the time of the reading, to be open to the spiritual 'flow'.

If the reading type was of a more psychological nature, I personally would prefer an older person... but I personally do not go to get psychological-type readings.