Tarot speech

YedaOfSwatlandia

deleting

deleting

Ayram

Hey I'm impressed! I'm always afraid of offending Christians (or seeming off my rocker to atheists and agnostics). I'd like to know some of the highlights, or a summary of what you said (if you're willing). I've found it safe - and probably accurate - to say that Tarot, unlike a Ouija board, is a way to get in touch with one's higher self/"inner guide" as opposed to an outside force or spirit. Less people seem offended or freaked out by the idea of all of us having great intuitive abilities and how it can be convenient to use tools to access that knowledge from within...ya know what I mean?

Anyway, that's great! :)

YedaOfSwatlandia

deleting

deleting

brenmck

YedaOfSwatlandia said:
Yesterday I stood up in front of my communications class, filled largely with excrutiatingly and staunchly conservative Christians, and gave a speech about Tarot cards...and managed not to offend anyone.

So then you wouldn't mind coming to my town in North Florida and giving the same speech to the city council? :)

~B~

Sheri

Way to go YedaOfSwatlandia!

valeria :)

jmd

Good on you!

...now how about making your points into subheadings for a booklet you can start on to complete before the end of 2009? (that's less than four years away!)

Netzach

Well done! It's not easy to do what you have accomplished. However, I have a friend who gives talks about numerology and she finds - as you did - that if you keep the talk factual, explain things clearly and say from the start that it's nothing to do with "magic" or "spirits", then people are interested and receptive. She even spoke to a group of Salvation Army members recently (who thought that she was going to talk about numeracy!) and it went down very well.

Keep spreading the word!

Baroli

Bravo!! Well Done!!

Nicely done Yeda of Swatlandia!

I am one of those silly Christians and I am always offending those (Christians that is) who have a) no sense of humor (the vast majority) and b) those who have no tolerance or respect for what other people do. Stating just the facts was a great way of easing their minds. Bravo!!

Baroli52

PS. That being said, I am also not your average narrow-minded thinker either and always open to possibilities, LOL.

Sophie

Well done! It's always nice to hear about ignorance retreating a little further, and people realising that their deepest beliefs are not threatened by a pack of cards.

I didn't give a speech, but I had the same effect on a friend who is a religious Jew and who had the impression the tarot was "black magic". I showed her some cards and we talked about them, and about what tarot can and can't do. She was very interested - particularly in the idea of tarot showing a different point of view, and mirroring our lives, and so helping overcome blocks or be aware about certain energies acting in our lives.

fairyhedgehog

Way to go, Yeda! I'm impressed.