damaged rose quartz?

cosmic_bubble

hello :)

i have a raw chunk of rose quartz which usually sits on my windowsill... it's only when i bought another piece last week and compared the two that i realised how pale and powdery my first one was

could it have been damaged by being in the sun? i know no two pieces will be identical, but it does seem so pale and one side is very powdery if that makes any sense.. i'm sure it wasn't like that when i bought it..

the only other way to describe it is that it looks as if the 'life' has been sucked out of it :(

HudsonGray

Quartz can be damaged by extremes in heat and from chemical washes, but just laying in the sun shouldn't do it, there's not more than a 70 degree difference from night to day (direct sunshine to winter cold low temps). They'd usually crack along a fault line, if nothing else.

Do you know if the rose quarts was actually a dyed piece of regular quartz? That might account for what you describe. If you want, track down some gem collector sites or rock stores online and ask them. They'd be familiar with quartz and how it reacts to things, if nobody else here has had this experience with theirs.

tarotbear

If the sun caused rock to become powdery, the Earth would have blown away eons ago.

I agree - it may not have been rose quartz to begin with. Many stones - particularly those brightly colored stone/crystal bookends which you see all over for sale - are DYED - they are not naturally that color. Likewise, when you see slices of fugs or geodes for sale - they have been dyed to bring the crystallization out; they are not natural at all.

The color of the stone has to do with the minerals present when it was formed - there can be a variation between the colors of a stone in a cluster. Rose quartz can vary from pale to dark pink.

cosmic_bubble

:eek:)

hmm...i guess maybe it wasn't the real thing.. oh well.. i have a new one to play with now so all's okay

thank you :)

doreen

Yes they do fade

Rose quartz is susceptible to fading in sunlight. A lot of crystals are eg, anethyst, citrune etc. This can affect their powersif the colour fades.
Be careful.
Doreen.

Sophie

I charge my stones in the sun, and it enhances their power (I also charge them in the Moon, which is much more subtle). But maybe if you leave it on the window sill all the time it's too much of a good thing?

Bu then again - maybe it was always pale and powdery. Colours do vary.

Netzach

A friend who has a crystal shop tells me that if you leave a piece of rose quartz in the sun for a long time, it will bleach it. So, yes, it probably is rose quartz and yes, it was because you left it in the sun.

MareSaturni

I didn't know they DYED stones :O
I have lots of stones and none of them seem dyed but, well, i'll never know. Anyway, for the price i pay for them, if they are dryed i'm going to explode the shop where i usually buy my stone...mweheheheheheh >:D
(Yuko's still choosing an excuse to act violently against that über-expensive shop)

~Yuko

HudsonGray

Oh yeah! Tigers Eye and geodes are dyed all the time. (Tiger eye does NOT come in red, green or any color other than honey gold, in the natural world).

Netzach

miss_yuko said:
I didn't know they DYED stones

My friend with the crystal shop says that dyeing changes the energies of crystals, so best the avoid them. The only one he stocks is agate that has been died blue because that has quite a gentle energy.