Mardi Gras & Lenten Tarot

NightWing

Mardi Gras or Carnevale/Carnival is now upon many parts of the world. This year March 1st is Ash Wednesday for many Christians, to be followed by the period of Lent, leading up to Easter. I know that there are people here who do special tarot readings for Solstice, Beltane, and the like, just as I know that there are believing Christians here too. So I'm wondering...will anyone be doing any sort of special readings to mark Mardi Gras or Lent, and if so, what form will they take?

Sophie

Carnaval is tomorrow!

I think I might do a reading with my New Orleans Voodoo tarot - in homage to the wonderful New Orleans Mardi Gras, which will be a sadder carnival this year, and because the deck is full of a Mardi Gras spirit, which seems perfect for such a draw. I like that deck very much, even though I don't use often enough. It has a very special energy.

NightWing

When The Saints Go Marching In...

Helvetica -Sounds like a nice idea. I was pleased to hear that Mardi Gras went ahead in New Orleans, even if in diminished form this year. But I can well imagine it might boost the spirits of people there. I have friends attending that I await reports from.

I don't have that particular deck, but may be able to substitute something else, or a new spread, or both. Perhaps R. Place's Saints Tarot?

Do you suppose there might be a way of imparting or transferring a positive energy into that much-suffering city?

Sophie

NightWing said:
Do you suppose there might be a way of imparting or transferring a positive energy into that much-suffering city?
I've no idea, but I'll dedicate my reading to the Parishes of New Orleans, and hope to send some good vibes, at least. If many of us should do that, it will be all the more effective! Tarot of the Saints sounds like a good idea.

I was glad to hear Mardi Gras was going ahead too.

catlin

Go for a New Orleans reading!

Wow, Helvetica, I like your idea with the reading for New Orleans to lift their spirits.

I have just talked to a coworker about the Mardi Gras festivities in New Orleans and how important they are for the ppl there so I'd like to tune in with a reading for them (although I only have the RW, Legend, Fairytale or Witches currently with me).

I think a reading for New Orleans would be a nice idea to "break in" my Fairytale!!! (or I will use the Witches)

tarotbear

Don't forget to wear feathers, beads, and eat some King Cake! :party: :party:

MikeTheAltarboy

New Orleans is soooo wierd. ;-) I ate *my* king cake back on EPIPHANY, when the *kings* came.

This is a good idea though. I'll probably do a lenten reading for myself after I get be-ashed wednesday evening.

catlin

Sorry, tarotbear, but there is no King Cake available around Carnival in Germany :D

As for beads and feathers, ok, for the beads but not feathers, I chose my pointy hat instead.

BTW I did the spread for New Orleans with my new Fairytale tarot. I will post later what turned out.

Alta

You all just cleared up a mystery for me. The bakeries around here have been selling this mysterious 'gateau du roi' (I think, something like that, or 'royaume' maybe) a few weeks ago. I had never heard of this before but I guess the mystery is solved. I thought maybe it was a French ritual or something. (I am not the most observant and have only lived in this French bastion of English Canada for three years).

catlin

Hi Marion,
I know the Gateau du Roi as a kind of French "ritual" for Epiphania (6th January Fete du Roi, don't know the English word for).