Confused

bella71

Hi Guys,

I hope you can help me. I am new to tarot and joined up last week and cant wait to get my deck and book and start up,now i have a question to ask and hope that it's not stupid.
My sister has told me that it's very bad luck to buy my own deck and i told her that i read it somewhere that it's just a myth, now is it or isn't it bad luck to buy my own deck?.
Thank you

Shaymus

There's as many folklore tales around Tarot as Kraft has foodstuffs. I have had nothing but joy and satisfaction with the Tarot, and I bought my own first deck, and every deck since then. Just like you'll hear the "proper" methods on shuffling, cutting, etc etc etc....it's what ever feels right to you. So, don't worry about it, you'll love it. Study and use the deck a lot.

Shaymus

WalesWoman

I think it's probably worse luck to wait for someone to give you a deck before you learn Tarot, unless you have a fairy godmother. You may wait for a long long time.

Pay no attention to superstitions and old wives tales, except perhaps the one about walking under ladders. I think it might be bad luck to be standing behind someone throwing salt over their shoulder too.

kerri28

Or you could give your sister the money and show her which deck you'd like her to buy you!lol

fairyhedgehog

Definitely buy yourself a deck :) I bought my own first deck (the Hanson-Roberts) and it was exactly right for me. It was a faithful friend all through the early learning process and I still turn to it at times when I get stuck.

I've only been given one deck: the Glastonbury. I really don't click with it. I only keep it because my husband gave it to me and I appreciate him giving it to me since he finds my love of tarot to be incomprehensible (and vaguely disturbing, I suspect). If that was my only or first deck, I would have given up on tarot very quickly!

gregory

You do what feels good for you. And being without a deck doesn't feel good to anyone. :D

But wait - what is wrong with giving yourself a gift ???? }) (I thought the superstition - which I refuse to buy into ! - said a deck had to be a gift.....) I do it all too frequently. I have so far not been struck down.

Spirit2Celeste

I was also told that it was wrong to buy my own deck. I was told that it wouldn't work right and that I wouldn't get the right "psychic feeling" from it.

Well, I ignored that information and went out and found a deck that seemed to call to me. It seemed to be saying buy me, buy me. So I did. I have never regretted it. It was my first ever deck and I clicked with it beautifully. It's the Gilded Tarot. I love the deck and we work really well together. Then I found antoher deck that was calling to me just as strongly and got that one. I love it too.

I would have had to wait nearly forever if I had heeded the words of that person who said I had to be given a deck. I have never looked back and I don't regret for a moment "gifting" myself with two decks.

I hope this helps.

Celeste

enchanted spirit

WalesWoman said:
I think it's probably worse luck to wait for someone to give you a deck before you learn Tarot,

ROTFL!!!! What's the saying about heaven helps he who helps himself, or something like that?

I think that if you feel compelled to learn Tarot you should buy a deck, by all means. I like the idea of gifting it to yourself! :) We all deserve a little something now and again.

TheLovers2

Deck Buying - a "do it yourself" kind of thing

I agree with everyone who has posted so far regarding this.

I bought my first deck. I have bought others. To me, choosing a deck is such a personal thing, someone would really have to know me and my tastes to get it right. Well, it might not seem that I'm so particular, really, seeing as I do have a lot of decks, but, certain ones work and others don't. Not to mention that (wierd expression - why do we say, "not to mention," and then go ahead and mention the thing anyway) :) . . . I digress . . . so, as I was saying what a person might think I'd enjoy, I might not and without a doubt, a deck that one might feel I'd have no interest in might just be the deck for me.

It just so happens that I have surprised myself by the decks I've been drawn to. (The Fantastical is one like that. I connect so well in a visceral sort of way with this deck.) So, unless someone wants to buy me a deck and then asks which I'd prefer, it would probably be best if I make the choice. Another example is that I expected to really be into my Connolly because I'm Christian and it's such a pleasant deck, however, there isn't much that moves me about that deck. Hmmm. Not the faces, not the colors - I just can't get into it. I look and nothing is stirred. I suppose I can still use it and my interest in it might change, but, there's "no click," at present.

It suffices to say that my wallet would be a lot fuller had I known someone who just loved to know which decks I wanted and got them for me. Ahhhh, wouldn't that be nice. I think that person would become my "new best friend." (Just kidding.) :D

TL2 :TLOVE

memries

You are either superstitious or you are not. There are a lot things you can think of that people tell you are not good. Like a black cat crossing your path here is bad and in England it is good luck.
I think the whole superstition thing is a bunch of hooey but to each his/her own. Someone always wants to tie a can on your tail for something or other to stop you doing exactly what you would like to do.