skepdic.com

Lain_82

Looking for sites on numerology I came across this web, which has essays refuting different things, such as numerology, tarot, astrology and other paranormal and new age manifestations. this is the first time I actually read something like this, and somehow made me feel uneasy because I can't explain very well to others why tarot works using a scientific approach, and people going against it can. How do you handle this kind of criticism?

oh, one more thing, Aeclectic tarot's website was cited as "further reading" and that confused me, cause this site obviously believes in tarot's powers.

thanks!

Psychebleu

edited

Milfoil

I simply don't respond to such critisism - its not critisism in the constructive sense of the word.

I can no more prove how tarot works than I can prove the big bang, the existance of dark matter or if you see green the same way I do! Proof always has its subjective aspects.

If Tarot didn't work then why, after 500 years are we still playing with it? Enjoy and leave the total sceptics to their antiseptic world. I prefer a more open mind!

Deana

I'm strange, I guess. I love to read critiques of the things I love. The more scathing the better. I don't have any need for anyone's approval on my choices, so I find criticism stimulating rather than threatening. Nothing helps me clarify my own thoughts as well as hearing someone else's completely different thoughts. When I particularly love a book, for example, I immediately log on to Amazon and read all the one-star reviews to get the opposite opinion...I don't need to read opinions that agree with my own because I already know my own opinion.

Deana

Oh, and I didn't mention anything about how it works scientifically, but my opinion is: I don't know, and who cares anyway? I use it, it works for me, I don't know why and I really don't care. I used to date a guy who was abrasively against anything mystical and he could be vicious about it. I dated him for five years. I never cared that he didn't believe in any of the stuff that works for me because it's like this: I can't scientifically prove that astrology works, but the whole time I was in a relationship with him he was every bit like what you'd expect him to be by looking at his chart.

Lillie

I don't know how a TV works, but it don't stop me using it!

People like these just enjoy 'refuting' stuff.

Weird stuff happens with no explanation.

Tarot works with no explanation, nor none needed.

Once something has hppened to you, or for you, then it don't matter that other persons don't believe. You know.

Once, many years ago, I heard a voice, the voice of someone I knew. So clear I went out to look for them.
They were miles away, saying what I heard them say.

There is no rational explanation.
No scientific explanation.

but it happened.

And that really convinced me that some improbable things were actually true.
It don't convince skeptics, because it didn't happen to them.
But still, I know it did.

Cerulean

I looked at it and the people who posted under 'readers comments.'

Since it's someone else's website with collective essays, articles, etc. from others, it's fine with me that others have their opinions. There are millions of people who have different views and like to air them. If you are aware of a forum for those who want to be a thoughtful skeptics, it's probably a good thing to know what kind of comments you might encounter.

Perhaps the best way is just to explain what you know of tarot from your own point of view. If someone isn't visually oriented and does not like images or icons, I doubt that one can do more than suggest, "my mind actually works with this image-based system. While you might be able to suggest better ways to stimulate or inspire your imagination and creative problem solving, this works for me and it's within my budget."

As for scientific basis, I've not scientific about humanities, literature, or the arts or other creative projects. I can say what the benefits of the topic of tarot has done for me generally, but that's my experience, not science.

Perhaps there are experiences or ideas that you have within your own memory or your friends/family that will assist in your explanation--whether tarot appeals to your creative side, whether it's part of your spiritual or other
means of exploring or learning, etc...my explanation to those who asked depended on who or why the question was asked.

I'm not certain if my response was helpful. Thank you for letting me/us know about the website and information.

Regards,

Cerulean

Tarotphelia

It's usually pretty pointless to try to explain to anybody how tarot works , unless they express a sincere desire to truly learn . It might be better to say something like "You have to find out for yourself- it's a personal journey ."

I have my own skepticism about things . I do examine ideas and mystical concepts critically. I tend more to err on the side of the existence of the wondrous & improbable rather than the surety that everything is as cut & dried as it seems on the surface . Hard core skeptics assume they are unbiased , but in truth might have a mostly negative bias .

I get the impression from hard core skeptics that they think they are the "normal" ones . And the only ones who have critical intelligence. This underlying arrogance can be annoying. I personally don't hold them as a whole as anything I have to take into consideration , give credence to, or assign any particular importance to . I don't feel I have to justify myself , or pacify , please them, or seek their approval in any way . (Probably in great contrast to what they themselves feel the rest of us should be doing. )

My question is why they bother themselves about it all. If I don't believe something to be true or I don't like it , I will not purposely go out of my way to seek it out . I don't care if other people embrace it or not . Why do they show up on paranormal forums , or heckling psychics ? It makes no sense to me.

starrystarrynight

Dark Inquisitor said:
My question is why they bother themselves about it all. If I don't believe something to be true or I don't like it , I will not purposely go out of my way to seek it out . I don't care if other people embrace it or not . Why do they show up on paranormal forums , or heckling psychics ? It makes no sense to me.

I suppose it's like any form of prejudice...often based upon a fear of the unknown.

Deana

Dark Inquisitor said:

I wish I could remember what I was reading lately that talked about this, but basically the author said that skeptics are really one step from believing: they're interested enough to keep seeking it out but they don't want to look stupid. She worded it better than I am, but I didn't write down the quote.