Destiny vs Free Will

Lady Orchard

I was wondering what people here think of destiny vs free will.

Do you believe that we have a preset destiny that we follow, a blueprint?
Or is the future uncertain, we have free will to change things?

From a tarot point of view then I guess most would say we have free will. The future isn't set in stone, tarot just gives us an indication of what could happen, and we can then use this information for change if we want.

But say for example I read for myself, don't like the outcome much, and so consciously change my situation/behaviour to alter the outcome. That's free will, right? But what if I was always destined to read on that particular day, and the cards were already destined to come out in a certain order, and I was always destined to make the change. I may think I'm exercising my free will, but I'd still be following the blueprint.

What do you think?

SjN

We are in control of our destiny while destiny is in control of us.
or ..we create our destiny while the destiny creates us.

Free will is part of our destiny!

is what i think :D

and one more thing..

don't take tarot for a tool to "interrupt" your destiny. it's simply there to advice you..
just as you'd ask your friend for advice and what he thinks about some particular matter..

you'll hear him out but in the end it's still your decisions, your life and your actions.. which create destiny.

Nevada

I think we get a little of both, that things are more complex than just one or the other. Can you help whether a storm or earthquake hits your town? Can you help whether you pass your driving test? See, life is a mix. It's best to do as well as you can, stretch yourself, but also be ready to accept that stuff happens. We pick up and keep moving.

I do think the parts we see as destiny usually come with important lessons, or hidden blessings. I think there's a reason troubles find us. Not as punishment or the gods abandoning us, but more like life calling on us to learn something, or to pay attention. I think that, above all, we're here to learn.

Nevada

Daizdy

I believe it's both. We are destined to do or be or end up somewhere in life but how we get there is our freewill. For example: I am destined to go to work today but how I get there is my own choice. whether I make that decision consciously or subconsciously to take the highway or side-streets, whether I take the bus or drive my car, I will end up where I'm supposed to be....work.

jojojo

Daizdy said:
I believe it's both. We are destined to do or be or end up somewhere in life but how we get there is our freewill.
This makes so much sense, it's like there IS a blueprint but how and whether you get there is up to you ie, freewill. Situations will keep arising as to re-mind you what your detiny is but whether you take that path is up to you....but life will keep re-minding you until you get there...and if you don't, well I guess you come back until you have learnt your life lesson!!!

serenaserendipity

what a fascinating topic!

Hi all-

I think one informs the other, in mutual respect and influence...

destiny is like the skeleton, and freewill is like the flesh...

sincerely,
serendipity

p.s. intentions have an effect on serendipitous alignments as well!

Lain_82

This has been a question I've had for a while, and although I don't have a completly satisfying answer I think we do have free will, but at the same time destiny exist. there are things we can change, and that's why most of what happen to us are the result of something we did before, but also there are things that we can't change or predict or be prepared for. However, I don't see destiny as a book that has already been written, but as moments where the choice you make changes the course of your life takes.... in the end it's up to you, really, or at least that's the way I see it.

Dancing Bear

I think our destiny is the (Effect) of our own free Will (Cause)

The Tarot cards are just advice as has been stipulated before. I dont think that regardless what we do a certain spread will present its self. I beleive Tarot are A tool, to guide. they help bring our inner knowledge to the surface so we can see it laid out on the table. It is up to us what we do with the information. (free Will)

Zephyros

I don't rememeber where, but there was a fascinating thread about this not long ago. Anyway, it is an interesting question, but in the end, it is futile one, as far as doing anything about it is concerened.

I have often asked myself if I read for myself, and then change y life or behaviour according to the reading, if I was in fact "destined" to read for myself on the particular time and place, and so change things according to a pre-set plan. After all, if there is destiny, then of course the reading itself is part of it. And suppose my "destiny" has ordained that something bad should happen. If I read for myself, and then change things, then does that stop the bad things from happening? Or is it all part of the plan anyway?

From a Tarot point of view, destiny is a very dangerous thing, since what is the use of reading if you can't change anything anyway? Destiny and fate are good armchair questions, but n the end they have no relevence on our lives.

I believe in cause and effect. Say you reach a station in your life, and there you choose how to proceed. From that point until the next station, your choices will be the effect of the cause, i.e. you original decision. In any case, suppose there is a Higher Power. Not presuming myself to be anything, I think it would be rather dull to create humanity just to have them act like dummies:)

star-lover

there were a couple threads recently yes, heres the links

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=54931&highlight=destiny

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=55044&highlight=destiny

personally i think there is a blueprint/destiny mapped out
your free will gets you there, the more you move the further you get - ie obviously not everyone fulfills all their potential but some get further than others - this is the free will part i think and the will/courage/ability to use it

how when two people meet - thats not about free will thats about destiny - they were destined to meet - i know what i mean lol