PDA

View Full Version : ethics and stones

greenbeans
17-03-2006, 01:24
hi lovely people, I was thinking of buying a few quartz and other crystals, but am a bit worried about the ethics. I have been trying to turn over a new leaf to an extent in what I buy, as to packaging, trade practises, local produce etc...with varying success...but I'm trying!

It seems crystals have a certain controversy, as in how they are mined, how the land is used etc. I am not rich either, but I suppose I would rather buy fewer crystals ethically, if it made it more expensive...what do people think?Is it worth paying more not to harm the earth? Or are so called more ethical crystals a scam?

inanna_tarot
17-03-2006, 01:38
This is something I really feel quite unsure about as well!

I have some crystals, by some I mean some small tumbled stoned about 10 pieces all together. I really dont feel that I could justify having any more than that without feeling upset with myself. The Ethics of crystal healing are strange to me because surely something that is supposed to heal you wont do much healing if the earth isnt around for you to enjoy the benefits lol. Massive cavaties in the earths crust, blazing gods know what, killing so many people on a penny a day etc etc. Enough to really hurt my little head worrying about it.

I bought a chakra stone set and a few pieces I got over the years or friends have given to me, and I dont think I'd be buying any more. Be they ethically mined or otherwise. A stone from your own back garden can be just as healing as gemstone in my experience. (end of mini rant)

Sezo
x

greenbeans
17-03-2006, 01:46
Massive cavaties in the earths crust, blazing gods know what, killing so many people on a penny a day etc etc. Enough to really hurt my little head worrying about it.

I bought a chakra stone set and a few pieces I got over the years or friends have given to me, and I dont think I'd be buying any more. Be they ethically mined or otherwise. A stone from your own back garden can be just as healing as gemstone in my experience.

Whoa, vivid imagery! That is a point...stones you find yourself or are given are more personal..I have always loved picking up smooth stones found on the beach..and my grandad gave me an intruiging tiger's eye when I was little...but the more spectacular stones in shops...they're so pretty, but something stops me...

Even the tiny little diamond on a ring my boyf gave me does give me conscience-pangs (how many tribespeople died for my vanity?)

Maybe I will pick up a couple of tumblestones that attract me and leave it at that...

Ankou
19-03-2006, 03:51
Almost all of my stones have been gifted or found. The few I have purchased have been from individuals who find and tumble the stones themselves. I've never had any energy spikes from crystals in stores, but rough quartz in the creek bed calls out to me.... I think the stones will tell you if they are happy... so buy them in person if you can, that way you can ask them how they got to you :)

squishes...

2 cents in....

Ankou

catlin
31-03-2006, 00:01
Better get some crysals that are mined in an ethical way.

Crystals send out energy and when they were ripped out of the earth with brute energy they will keep this energy and pass it on to you.

Besides, you'll feel much better not wearing stones that were mined by children.

Acadia
31-03-2006, 23:16
The best way to check is to see where the stone was taken from. Stones that tend to be "better" are stones mined in Australia, Canada, and the US. Some of the worst stones are mined in China, Africa, South America (though South America can be really good or really bad depending on who you buy from and what you're buying). Some of the "worst stones" are Tanzanite and certain Emeralds. There are other stones, like Opals from Lightning Ridge and Canadian Diamonds which are more than OK to buy ethically, as the people who mine them are, literally, well taken care of and making a ton of money doing what they're doing.

The whole "ripped from the Earth so they carry bad energy thing..." Yeah... I'm not entirely convinced of the truth on that one... Having worked with a Native American crystal healer with a degrees in Earth Science and Gemology, among other things, I've heard him discuss the concern that crystals are savagely parted from Earth a million times, as apparently it's a concern that a lot of people have about buying stones.