Celtic Oracle - John Matthews

Shadow Wolf

I just picked up th Celtic Oracle by John Matthews, I think it's a Barnes and Noble publication. It's beautiful -- I haven't used it yet though. I was too tired by the time I got back home yesterday. I have a friend coming today,I think I let her have the first reading reading with this new deck !

WooMonkey

Hi Shadow Wolf,
I recently got this deck also. The art is beautiful, and the price was right! I haven't made it through the whole book yet, but read the section on the elements, and was very struck by the background description for the Green and Burning Tree card. I found the quote from Peredur (p. 91) very compelling for some reason--especially the sheep. I'm trying to work it into a meditation or guided imagery exercise.

:) Woo!

Webwitch

Barnes and Noble have since sold out ... but I am waiting for a re-release. Anyone know where I can see scans of this deck?

Webwitch

Can anyone tell me if there are any differences between this deck and the Celtic Shaman's Pack, apart from the art?

Cheers,
Webwitch :TQW

Bat Chicken

Webwitch said:
Can anyone tell me if there are any differences between this deck and the Celtic Shaman's Pack, apart from the art?

Cheers,
Webwitch :TQW

That is just what I was thinking - I just received the Oracle, so let's compare... At first glance, the books are very close - it would appear to be mainly the art and a few of the names on the cards that are different.... but on closer inspection, the art in the Shaman's Pack is better - but so small - and they are on coated stock or possibly laminated. The cards are larger in the Oracle.... and have also been organized in the manner the book suggests with colour coded borders.

The box on the oracle is sturdier. The book is much better laid out in the Oracle as well - full colour on the inside - very nice printing, larger images, but smaller text.

My conclusions are - I like Chesca Potter's art best , but with the Celtic Oracle's book and box... I guess I keep both - I am so greedy, eh?? ;)

Webwitch

Bat Chicken said:
My conclusions are - I like Chesca Potter's art best , but with the Celtic Oracle's book and box... I guess I keep both - I am so greedy, eh?? ;)

Nope. I am doing the same. I got tired of trying to get glimpses online and bought the new Oracle from ebay. I agree with everything you say above and am keeping both, too. *LOL*

Will have to investigate this new oracle further though.

Thanks for taking the time to write all that out, Batchicken.

Cheers,
Webwitch :TQS

scorpiana

there are a bunch of these at my barnes and noble for $6 or $7 and i have picked them up thinking i might want them but i never buy them..

for anyone who wants one and can't get it locally, PM me- i'd be happy to pick one up for you if you are willing to pay for the deck & shipping.