What will you do...

catlin

Hi there,
I was wondering if any of you - this question especially aims at our big collectors - have already thought what will become of your collection in case of you being struck by a long illness, sudden death or coma?

I mean did you think about contacting a museum or whatever to take care of your collection or do you hope your family will cherish your decks as much as you do and keep them?

Maybe you think this question a bit funny but since 2001 this question is heavy on my mind so I would appreciate any input.

As I don't have that much of a family I am thinking about contacting the Deutsche Spielkartenmuseum and ask them if they are interested in my collection in case there should something happen to me.

Alta

I am more a medium-sized colector, but I have also wondered that. If nothing else, will they realize the value of some of the decks and just dispose of them casually. To that end I have been writing a list of the more valuable decks with the suggestion that they ebay them. None of my family, so far, is interested in tarot. It is a puzzle, and a bit of a worry.

Eco74

Never really gave that much thought but as far as I know I'm the only one in my family with a love of tarot..

I really have no idea what would happen to my books and decks but I do know that the books would probably be taken care of one way or another since mom and my sister has the same sort of reverence for them as I do. They'd be handed out to relatives or passed on to a second-hand bookstore.
My family are a little pack-ratty which is where I got it from, so if they got their hands on my stuff, it would probably be stored away til someone who was interested came along or sent off to a second-hand store so it could be picked up by someone interested.

I do have a few decks that are collectibles so it could be a good idea to write something down about those in particular though.. Maybe to send to someone I know has an interest in finding them good homes (AT contact or spiritually inclined friend)..

Hopefully, this won't be an issue for a long while yet though.

Alpha-Omega

I am to young to worry over who will get my decks. And i only got 2. In the future i'll get more.

a_shikhs

Very interesting question, Catlin.. ;) I'll give a few to my younger sister as she's really interested in tarot. I'll even give a few to my dad as i know he is very intuitive and loves getting a reading done.. And i'll make sure my favourite ones are buried right beside me... lol.. ;) And if there are any remaining ones, i will definately pass them on to AT so that another tarot lover will take care of them and love them the way i love all my decks.. :love: :)

~Shikhs

DarkElectric

Oh, Catlin, I have been pondering along these lines myself lately. I hope that we haven't been thinking alike for similar reasons, my friend. :(

I've recently been considering what to do with all of my personal property. I was wondering what would happen to my collection of decks, and then it struck me- I would have my SO put them up on the Trading thread here. What better place for my decks to go, than to the dear people who not only would appreciate the decks, but who knew me as well. It might give someone a little something to remember me by. I have no extremely rare, or super collectable decks, as of yet, but there are some little gems in there. So I figured that I'd have dearest Michael post them, so they would go on, even if I didn't.

Blessings and best wishes to you always :)

memries

I can see why you are concerned Catlin with the number of decks you have collected. A museum would be a good idea except no one ever gets to play with them again and half the time museums never show what they have anyway. Rooms and rooms of storage.
Maybe you should take the most valuable and sell them. At least that way you know they will be cherished. Donate or spend the money as you see fit. Also sell the less valuable and you still know that someone somewhere is enjoying them.
I know it is sad, I have a life time collection of things but have got rid of a lot. I expect my family to trash it all and it does not upset me at all. It is a sad but true fact that no one has the sentimental value you have for the things you cherish even if they are valuable. I expect my jewellry will be divided up. Who is going to wear it ? Maybe have the stones reset.
I have a big collection of silver...no one buys it much anymore so just hanging on to it for sentimental reasons. I don't want to sell it anyway.

Elven

My brother will look after my decks for me, I just know he will. I only have one collectable numbered deck, but he realizes how precious my decks are to me. Same as all the stuff that goes with them - the cloths and crystals - the boxes and the Tarot readings Ive journalled, and I know he wants my harp. :p
and I might consider taking one with me - probably my Viscont Sforza. I believe you can take it with you!

Blessings
Elven x

catlin

memries said:
A museum would be a good idea except no one ever gets to play with them again and half the time museums never show what they have anyway.

I was thinking about the museum because in this way more ppl could see them and might become interested in tarot.

Selling them??? Nope, not until I really have to.

sharpchick

My decks are disposed of in my will. I personally know two other people who read tarot, and my will directs that they are to be permitted to go through the decks together, dividing them up as they see fit.