what religion does tarot belong to ?

vision777

well i can say i've always been attracted to tarot cards, zodiac signs and numerolgy, dreams study, and things like that. i don't have a religion though. but i will say i do believe in god. the thing is the people i know always say i'm going to go to hell because i am interested in this stuff. and they keep passing me diffrent bibles and qurans my friend that s muslim keeps telling me to read his muslim teaching books and the thing is i don't have anything against it it's just that that stuff does not interest me the way tarot cards do and the other things that i have mention. i want to know what religion does all this stuff belong to ? i would like to have a better understanding about what iam studying can someone who does know give me some insight about this ? thanyou

vision777

did anyone read this post yet ?

Knight of Wands

Be patient. People will reply in their own time, its only been 20 minutes. Some people might not be sure, or may need to think about it.

In my opinion it does not belong to any religion, but am interested in others thoughts.

KoW

thinbuddha

Might as well ask what religion meditation belongs to. In other words, it doesn't "belong" to any religion.

vision777

thank you knight of wands. lol i just notice when i put posts up here they seem to get unnoticed and a bunch of other post seem to be on top real quickly i just really put that other post up there so my post can stay on top not at the bottom of the page.

Sig Kap

You're own personal Jesus...

thinbuddha said:
Might as well ask what religion meditation belongs to. In other words, it doesn't "belong" to any religion.

Thin Buddah is right.

Pre-made religions that come packaged all nice for you in a neat little bow are overrated and way too restricive if you ask me. I think it's better to choose for yourself the ideas you believe in, the components you want to practice and the way you want to live your life. You've already started to do that. Tarot (or numerology, etc.) is part of your own personal religion. But it doesn't "belong" to any one per se.

Thirteen

Be true to yourself!

vision777 said:
i want to know what religion does all this stuff belong to ? i would like to have a better understanding about what iam studying can someone who does know give me some insight about this ? thanyou
Tarot is an amalgamation of religions. First, it relates back to ancient religions: Egyptian, Greek, and old nature/goddess religions.

Second it relates to early Christianity.

Third it relates to a mix of modern and ancient occult/mysticism. Alchemy, for example.

There is no one religion that tarot belongs to because it was created by many different people along the way, like a story being told, one person to another, each adding their own views on whatever religion they followed. There's some interesting critical remarks on Christianity in the cards...likewise, there's some cards that venerate Christiantiy.

For example, there are archangels like Michael and Gabriel in some cards. There's the Judement day card, very Christian. Other cards, like the High Priestess, has an interesting history of being perhaps critical of Christianity and being morphed along the way into relating back to Greek/Egyptian mythology on Moon goddesses.

There are Christian tarot readers, but a lot of Tarot readers are pagan or Wiccan--check out this forum: http://www.witchvox.com/ though be warned that if you follow this path, your friends really will think you're going to hell ;)

That's what the tarot teaches best, I think; that all these different relgions have points at which they meet, similarities that resonate. And so tarot often opens people up to the idea that this higher power need not wear one single face or have one single voice, that there need not be one single way to venerate it.

That, in short, all ways of venerating it are viable. Whether you put out an offering of milk on the doorstep or bow to the east at a certain time of day, or light a candle in a church or dance naked under the moonlight.

That, at least, is what Tarot has taught me.

Don't let anyone tell you you're going to Hell for tarot. That's being narrow and small minded. In the end, these people just want you to think like they do; they want to force you to be part of their club...and that means they're not being very good friends. Friends let friends be who they are. And people who are true to their religion convert by example, not by instilling fear or proselytizing.

Next time they say things like that to you, you tell them: "Prove to me I should be a Christian/Muslim by SHOWING me how good a person a Christian/Muslim is. Right now, you are pressure me, and not accepting me for who I am. Right now, I don't want to be what you are, because I don't want to treat people like you are treating me. Show me. Don't tell me, and maybe I'll believe you."

In the end, however, you need to follow your heart and spirit. What's right for you, is right for you. Anything else will make you miserable. And I don't think that higher power, the one which created all those billions of galaxies, which created love and bliss, wants anyone to be miserable and insincere in their worship. Do you?

memries

Thirteen... Totally laid out and well said. I think you covered it all. We all have to put up with people who think they know best. What we should do is find out what is best for us !

Abrac

The so-called minor arcana cards have been around a long time, a lot longer than the trumps. They don't have any relationship with religion far as I know. They have always been associated with games of chance and gambling.

Now as for the 22 majors, I personally believe they developed independently of the minors and were slowly grafted in to make one deck. They probably developed as a reaction to religious domination and oppression which culminated in the Inquisition of the 12th century. Regardless of the deck, the message is the same - that is - there are higher and more powerful forces than that which meets the eye. So in my view, the 22 trumps at least, are more anti-religion than anything. More specifically, anti-Christian.

This is just my opinion, many may disagree. Some disagreement might spark producvtive debate from which we may all learn.

-fof

jumptothemoonyea

Tarotism