PDA

View Full Version : Autogenic training

Josipa
23-03-2006, 03:06
Hi everybody. I was just wondering if any of you were practising autogenic training. I've just started learning it, and I love it. I'd appreciate hearing about your experiences with it, and maybe if you use certain crystals or herbal teas in this context.

Thanx,
Josipa

Bat Chicken
29-03-2006, 06:18
I tried this - however, my discipline is terribly lacking!:P It takes a great deal of discipline to do autogenics.
I actually came across it listening to a series on Medical Intuition to help me manage stress and a nasty case of irritable bowel. I know the instructors of this program are very into the use of Charkras - perhaps the use of Chakra stones might be good?

Josipa
29-03-2006, 17:35
It does take a lot of concentrating, that's why I decided to do it in the first place, because I'm also terrible at that department ;-) Chakra stones sounds good. Do you know which stone would work for solar plexus? I seem to be having most problems focusing on my belly ;-). And do you know any herbal teas that might help with the relaxation part, I know chamomile, but is there anything else, maybe a bit more effective?

Bat Chicken
30-03-2006, 02:03
I use lemon balm tea to relax. There are some good suggestions at the link below - the thread relates to sleep and dreaming but there are some good combinations suggested for relaxing:
http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=56126

As for the solar plexus stone - Amber, citrine and tiger eye have been suggested - basically yellow/gold. There are many sources and they are all different!:) Just look up chakra stones on the web and you should find a variety of suggestions for all seven.

It might be interesting to get a stone on each point (all 7 chakras) and see if that helps your concentration too. I would love to know how it goes and if these things helped - it might be the impetus for me to try autogenics again!:)

memries
30-03-2006, 09:14
I did Autogenic training way back in the 70's !!! It works wonderfully well to relieve stress and I continue to this day. Not always but when I feel totally wound up I do the exercises and it brings comfort and relief.
I never progressed beyond being able to do whatever the exercises are and never heard of crystals in this regard at all.
Oddly enough I looked up their site on the internet the other night and was wondering if I should pursue it further.
How interesting, I can see there are a lot of things I am missing.

Bat Chicken
30-03-2006, 10:24
Which site, memries?
I think I might be interested in learning more (you aren't refferrring to the Myss/Shealy site.....?).

redflash
30-03-2006, 16:35
I had never heard of Autogenic training until I read this thread. It sounds fascinating but theres not likely to be any practitioners in my local area. I googled it & found a website with a short list of practitioners which had nothing anywhere near me. Going to see if I can find something local for this. The website mentioned that it should be done under guidance. Hope I can find someone to help me get started with this, sounds like just what I need. x

Josipa
30-03-2006, 22:05
Thank you all for the advice. I've looked up some of the stones and I'm on my way to get at least some. I've been meaning to get me a citrine for a while now, so I guess this just proves I should ;-) I'll try the teas, thanks for the reference to the site. And I'll let you know how it works out. I'm doing this longer exercise plan, it takes about 6-7 weeks to get through all the exercises, it's a bit more elaborate version of the original 7 exercises.

Josipa

memries
01-04-2006, 04:37
Hi.. I took a long course with a private doctor a
Dr. Soicher...I wondered if she knew the originator in person ? At that time there was no internet and I went to her office week after week. I think she has passed on since.
I suppose in those days I was very stressed out. I do not take pills I want to feel my highs and I want to feel my lows. On pills you don't feel anything. My motto is... let everyone take pills to live with me ! Not saying I have never taken any tranquilizers so that is how I know.
It is well worth the time and effort you put into it and when I forget and get all uptight, then I remember to do the exercises and it helps a lot.

Bat Chicken
01-04-2006, 06:31
My motto is... let everyone take pills to live with me !

LOL - great attitude!:D

I think I am going to dig up that CD and get working on destressing. I hope that anyone who finds a good site on autogenics will share the links!

redflash - this one may be of use to you - http://www.autogenic-therapy.org.uk/

I'll keep looking for N. American sites.....

Satori
01-04-2006, 13:09
Not sure where this group is from, but it is a good place to start if don't know what autogenics is and want to start doing it. They offer several exercises to do that appear to be quite simple.

I admit I'd never heard the term autogenics but have heard of muscle relaxing in the way they describe it. Interesting.

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/autogen.htm

Satori
01-04-2006, 13:11
This site is out of Iowa.
Might be worth contacting the author of the article on where to get more training.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~shs/stress3.htm

redflash
05-04-2006, 21:23
I contacted http://www.autogenic-therapy.org.uk/

and they sent me a practitioner list, they also mentioned that it is available on the nhs with a referral from a doctor. I have just been to see the doc who was adamant that it is NOT available on the nhs & he wouldn't even talk about things like that !! He was very rude, I am so annoyed ! My nearest qualified practitioner is 90 miles away. Not really sure what to do next. 90 miles is a long way to have to go every week for an hour long session for 8 or 9 weeks.

redflash
07-04-2006, 17:39
I've received an email off the practitioner I contacted, because of the distance he can do double sessions so it would mean less 180 mile round trips . it's going to cost 350 for the course plus of course all the petrol to get there & back ! I really am very interested in this so I'm going to have to have a serious think about it. It's an awful lot of money for me, I have spent loads on decks lately aswell !!

memries
07-04-2006, 20:00
redflash... can you not just get a book ? It is not a complicated procedure and you have to do it yourself , they just guide you through that is all. If you want me to tell you how they do it I will. It is very simple.

redflash
07-04-2006, 20:26
redflash... can you not just get a book ? It is not a complicated procedure and you have to do it yourself , they just guide you through that is all. If you want me to tell you how they do it I will. It is very simple.

Thats what I was going to do but on one site I looked at it said not to do it without a qualified practitioner as it could result in serious psychological damage, which freaked me out ! I had a couple of good books in mind but that really put me off. Really don't want to spend all that money, & the journey to the practitioner is a looooonnnnnggggg one ! Not sure what to do now to be honest!

memries
07-04-2006, 20:54
redflash ..I don't in any way see how it could cause psychological damage. That is just someone wanting to sell it.
You lay down comfortably, no arms hanging over or anything, calm your mind, feel that your left arm is heavy.. just concentrate on your left arm being heavy. (You are really directing your mind to that area only) This is how the concentration comes in. You just keep doing that for a whole week with your left arm.. then you proceed to your right arm.. same thing.. then you say both my arms are heavy.
It goes on and on and you eventually get your limbs and breathing and most of you feeling heavy. You breath some deep breaths to start.
Have you ever jerked when you go to sleep ? Well this is healthy and it is a release of the autogenic energy and it does relieve stress.
When you have done your excersise you take some deep breaths to come out of it.
It just goes on and on. The thing to do is not to rush it so you are building up in your mind those neuro pathway so your mind is directing your body and I would assume the blood flow.
Eventually when you are able to direct your whole body to feel heavy then you go back
Start over again and direct your left arm to be heavy and warm and you feel the heat go down to your fingers. It takes some weeks to get to this point and you go through all the parts again but.. warm and heavy. Breathing comes into it. You will see in the book that at one point you say It breathes me and your breathing changes and becomes automatic.. like auto pilot.
It is your body and you are directing it.. that's all. Gurus bring down their blood pressure or whatever they do. It does work.
Buy the books.. trust me and if they are not enough then go to the practitioner.
Don't be worried about jerking you are supposed to LOL

memries
07-04-2006, 21:13
I was not trying to give you the whole course here.. just an overview. You can im me if you want to or maybe you have enough info to go and buy the book. Twenty minutes to start is good... it is only one arm after all.
I cannot believe the prices they charge. When I took Reiki it was $50 for the day for Reiki 1 and the same for Reiki 2 and now it is thousands ! It is taking serious advantage of a God given talent we all possess.
I certainly would not want to have to answer for doing that to someone. Yes, people should be paid a fair wage for their time and effort and knowledge but thousands ? No.. don't think so.

fairyhedgehog
07-04-2006, 22:07
I admit I'd never heard the term autogenics but have heard of muscle relaxing in the way they describe it. Interesting.

http://www.guidetopsychology.com/autogen.htm

I hadn't heard of it either. I found that same site by Googling, and it seems to give the whole autogenic training free! I might even try it!

It seems to me that the only reason someone might need psychological support is if difficult thoughts and feelings start to come up as they go on with the relaxation training. If so, then any competent counsellor or psychotherapist ought to be able to help. No need for 180 mile trips!