PDA

View Full Version : Mint, what to do with it

dolphingirl
24-03-2006, 16:39
Last year I planted some mint seads and they took off like crazy and I ended up with a huge amount of mint and had no idea what to do with it. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

I also wanted to give some mint to friends, should the mint be fresh, and are their any uses for died Mint?

lizziecat
25-03-2006, 00:37
Dried mint makes wonderful tea - I used to plant several varieties of it just for that purpose.

sagewriter
25-03-2006, 04:37
i found freshmint makes great tea as well! freshly picked and added to hot water, so refreshing!!

floracove
25-03-2006, 07:43
ooooh!
I'll trade you some mustard seed, for some mint seed. :D

If you search the net, you can come up with all sorts of recipes.
Try using different key words, when looking for ideas.

Mint + recipes
Mint + oils
Mint + incense

And so on.

BodhiSeed
25-03-2006, 08:17
Mint is great for unhappy tummies. My husband just got over a bout of food poisoning, and that is what I gave him to keep him hydrated. Mint is also wonderful to put in a large container, pour hot water over, and soak your tired tooties in! It works well either dried or fresh.

Many blessings,
Bodhran

catlin
30-03-2006, 23:57
You can dry the leaves and then either use them for making tea, incense, baths (good in winter, when you got a cold), pot pourries, make mint liquor...there are lots of ways to use mint.

Grigori
31-03-2006, 00:03
The best thing is to tear it out of your garden before it takes over :D Mint will grow and grow and grow and.....

The second best thing is to mush it up a little in a pestle with some lime juice, and then put in a glass and fill with lemonade or ginger beer. YUM :D Mint is great in cocktails too (so invite your friends over and give it in a drink instead }) )

It can be good for headaches and such also. Anything where you want to dilate the blood vessels and relax. :thumbsup:

raeanne
31-03-2006, 02:15
Hi all,
I was wondering what kind of mint you all are talking about. Mint is a family of plants that is most easily identified by it's square stalk. The mint family includes spearmint, peppermint, catnip, and several others. I have a nice patch of spearmint in my garden and I love fresh spearmint tea! I have also put some spearmint leaves in my bath which is very refreshing! I want to get some peppermint and bergamont plants started this spring.

rachelcat
31-03-2006, 03:33
Mint is great in cocktails too (so invite your friends over and give it in a drink instead })

Mmmm, mint juleps are tasty but deadly . . .

It's good in iced tea, too!

One time my mom and I made mint jelly to go with our Easter lamb. It tasted good, but we made way too much. How much mint jelly can one family eat?

dolphingirl
31-03-2006, 08:10
lol I havn't got a clue what kind of mint it is, I don't think the package even said. I planted it in a planter last year so that it wouldn't spread out in my garden.

I don't cook much (thank goodness for microwaves ) and am thinking of sending it to friends this summer (it sure does grow fast) ro looking into makeing things for the bath with it or maybe tea.

As a matter of face I am such a bad cook that my boyfriend doesn't even twitch when the smoke alarm goes off lol.

I may try making some tea with it. Thanks for all the super ideas, they are all great!

Catmoon
01-04-2006, 02:10
And chicken soup and all kinds of stues.:)
And help repiratory disorders in a very gentle way.