PDA

View Full Version : questions about astrology and psychic abilities

sunstallion
26-03-2006, 15:00
I am learning tarot myself. I know tarot has a root in astrology. Psychics have used tarot as a learning tool to develop their psychic abilities.

If you practice astrology, does it help you in developing your psychic abilities ? is astrology a psychic tool ? If it is a psychic tool, how ? because of all the mathematical calculation that shows you which and which, just like reading a calculus graph to tell you a financial report or an engineering report(but you do need to take a calculus class and a business or an engineering class to read the report).

I tried to learn astrology myself, but gave up because it's hard.

stardancer
26-03-2006, 16:28
Personally, I think astrology is more abstract and intellectual in interpretation, although psychic ability doesn't hurt in aiding your talent in most anything. I never felt astrology helped me develop any psychic abilities, but who's to say? Tarot is more emotional, I think, and you'd probably have to define psychic ability as emotional. It feels emotional to me, anyway. Am I making any sense?

alphonsine
26-03-2006, 21:22
if you dive into the rich symbols in astrology...
the moon
the Lion
the Virgin, etc.
and
the elements, i would think it would inspire your intuitive self to work on a deeper level of its meaning
and once
you have established a set of symbols
using both right and left brain energies
these could be used to encourage opening of inner knowledge

tink27
26-03-2006, 23:27
if you dive into the rich symbols in astrology...
the moon
the Lion
the Virgin, etc.
and
the elements, i would think it would inspire your intuitive self to work on a deeper level of its meaning
and once
you have established a set of symbols
using both right and left brain energies
these could be used to encourage opening of inner knowledge

I agree with alphonsine. Once you have a grasp of the planets, signs and houses, their energies take on an inevitable and enthralling rhythm! When charts are done manually, our intuitive side imagines and visualizes the interactions of the signs, planets and houses. The person's character and personality becomes a dazzling display of players in motion.

With the simplicity of computer programs, we don't get the initial task of artistically putting the chart together - kind of like an artist whose portraits reveal a persons inner divinity, the spark that exists within.

The intellect then studies the intuitive impulses and perceptions and brings it into form.

tink

stardancer
27-03-2006, 01:48
I've praticed astrology for a long time and it's easy to grasp the tarot because it's emotional, while it's more an intellectual chore to grasp astrology, although you can approach anything in any manner you choose. Maybe that's why some find astrology difficult to learn. For a woman, I have a strong intellectual pull as much as my emotions, so I see astrology as a scientific pursuit that rings of emotions. The two practices are different.

The_Star
27-03-2006, 07:13
Personally, I think astrology is more abstract and intellectual in interpretation, although psychic ability doesn't hurt in aiding your talent in most anything. I never felt astrology helped me develop any psychic abilities, but who's to say? Tarot is more emotional, I think, and you'd probably have to define psychic ability as emotional. It feels emotional to me, anyway. Am I making any sense?

Perhaps the Tarot is more emotional because of the use of images that trigger emotions. Astrology also uses imagery, but usually the imagery must be decoded first from the astrological symbolism.

Nevertheless, the Tarot, in my opinion, paints more vivid pictures unless one is quite familiar with the astrological archetypes (Venus..as a Goddess, etc.).
The tarot provides more precise pictures (exacting) than (astrologically speaking) astrology does. It requires a bit more astrological analysis to arrive at the tarot's precision.

The_Star
27-03-2006, 07:33
I am learning tarot myself. I know tarot has a root in astrology. Psychics have used tarot as a learning tool to develop their psychic abilities.

If you practice astrology, does it help you in developing your psychic abilities? is astrology a psychic tool ? If it is a psychic tool, how ? because of all the mathematical calculation that shows you which and which, just like reading a calculus graph to tell you a financial report or an engineering report (but you do need to take a calculus class and a business or an engineering class to read the report).

I tried to learn astrology myself, but gave up because it's hard.

If someone has psychic abilities then those abilities can be applied to both tarot and astrology. The issue is that one must first have an understanding of what the astrological symbols mean.
The Tarot can actually teach you some of astrology by investigating the astrological associations of the cards.
One of the main advantages of the astrology chart is that one can actually view an extended timeline by glancing at the astrological chart. A tarot reading is usually more limited to one timeline, at a time.
The astrological archetypes are represented in the tarot symbolism. Tarot's advantage is in providing 'pictures' that are worth a thousand words. Astrology's advantage is that it gives a complete overview including all timelines. Astrology, like Tarot, uses imagery, however, astrology's imagery is supplied by the adept understanding (translating) the astrological symbolism and translating the symbols into pictures in the imagination.
Both systems truly enhance each other.
If I had to pick only one (Tarot or Astrology) I would choose Tarot.

dadsnook2000
27-03-2006, 10:43
On the other hand there are plenty of counter-views to what has been expressed, it all depends upon your level of understanding of either/both systems. Astrology and Tarot are different systems -- you have to start with that.

Both systems, as many in the current western world understand them, derive a lot of cultural baggage from the same cultural heritage. To some extent, this baggage is common and inter-mixed into both systems. To another extent, this cultural baggage has been applied at various times without discrimination to help someone's own agenda.

As an example of this last statement, consider Tarot's Major Arcana. Not only did the "learned minds" of the day (1400s thru 1700s) lay the Jewish Quabala on top of Tarot, they took the planets and signs and laid them upon the Major Arcana. Both authors and secret societies made absurd claims to bolster their perceived authority, mystique and ability to attract followers and to discredit their pulishing/organizational rivals.

Now, if you understand the story of the Fool's Journey, you then have a major contradiction to contend with as to why a mixture of planets and signs should be applied to the 22 cards. Granted, it is helpful to relate some cards to some planetary meanings as a memonic, but planets and signs are not the same, and they are not all of astrology's symbols and they can distract from Tarot's own rich symbology. Wouldn't it be nice to have Nodes, Arabian Parts, Aspects and Houses all mixed int to the Tarot-cake?

Tarot cards, as found within a specific deck, may have more-or-less traditional meanings but some decks have quite different attributes abscribed to them. The Marseilles, the Troth and the Waite-Smith decks have both similarities and differences. Once you include other decks with other themes and concepts of their creation (never mind Oracle decks and those Tarot decks that are carelessly like them), the links between Tarot and Tarot, and between Tarot and Astrology become a little strained.

Another issue should include the consideration of how Tarot decks and Astrology charts are used to help querents. Most querents have a general question and some related points that they wish to know of. A question can be placed to the Tarot reader about Aunt Millie or a lover or a co-worker and the reading will address that person. The Astrological chart (natal chart) will to some degree address all relationships but may not adequtely address a current issue about Aunt Millied or a lover or a co-worker. Other factors have to be included such as additional charts, transits, progressions, etc., or the chart for the person addressed by the question.

If one wants some real depth of understanding about how the problem developed, how it can be resolved, when it can be addressed, then Astrology will likely be much more accurate and helpful than a card spread. Should the question involve a time in the future, or in the past, Astrology will definitely be more helpful because it cares not about the past or the future in terms of being able to reveal answers. Finally, by the time that you use many of astrology's symbols in overlapping layers of charts and their individual complexity you will find that they symbology can be very deep and very complex. This in no way disparages the Tarot. I like the Tarot because I can use it without prior preparation to answer many specific questions quite well. I also recognize that it has its place in the scheme of things.

So, to end up where we started -- Tarot and/or Astrology -- it might be wise to remember that we all have inherited a mish-mash of useful tools as well as useless trash in both systems. I would propose that we need to spend as much time undoing all of the false-hoods in each system as we do in learning about the useful tools in each system. Dave