PDA

View Full Version : Copyright privileges

spoonbender
26-03-2006, 22:15
Hi, I have a question about one of the Forum Rules:

By posting on the Aeclectic Tarot Forum, you relinquish all exclusive copyright privileges to the material you post and you grant non-exclusive rights to publish your posts in digital form, hard copy, book, magazine or other publishing medium in perpetuity.

Am I right that this would mean that, if someone would want to write a book, he/she could use all of the member's ideas (words and art) without breaking any copyright violation? I just don't fully understand, so I hope one of the moderators can explain.

By the way, this is NOT meant to be a discussion about this rule (as in exchanging viewpoints, agreeing or disagreeing), but a sincere question to clarify something that concerns all members. :)

Thanks,
Spoon

Solandia
26-03-2006, 22:57
Am I right that this would mean that, if someone would want to write a book, he/she could use all of the member's ideas (words and art) without breaking any copyright violation? I just don't fully understand, so I hope one of the moderators can explain.

Hi spoonbender. No, that's not the case.

Basically, the copyight statement means that by posting here, you permit the Aeclectic Tarot Forum to reproduce your posts elsewhere. For example, when copying the database to another server, or in a book (though there are no plans to do so). Anyone else wishing to reprint a post would require the permission of the author and Aeclectic as well.

As there's some confusion over the wording of that portion of the rules, I'll be rewriting it to clarify its meaning, but I hope that helps in the meantime.

~ Solandia

spoonbender
26-03-2006, 23:01
I hope that helps in the meantime.
Yes, it does - thanks!