Reading by hand vs. computer generated readings

serenaserendipity

I must confess...
Before I got my "groove" with tarot, and before I came here to the Tarot Forum...

I would sometimes ask obsessively of the computer-generating tarot websites (like facade.com)

in fact, last summer when i was in paris, i paralyzed a computer, because it got popups from that website! i did not realize how the website was supporting itself from pop up advertising

anyhow, nowadays i am very grateful for the warm nice wise people here at the forum...

but i was wondering what you guys think about computer-generated readings...

i let them influence me...

one thing I DO like about facade, though, is that they let you try a number of different decks or spreads...

in my obsessive inquiry, i actually absorbed quite a bit of knowlege about interpretation
which i call upon now as if it were learnt by osmosis

i definitely definitely prefer warm hands and warm hearts reading...
but if someone is reading in a very cold way.... hm

is the computer ever worth it?

throw your two cents in the wishing well!

serendip

redflash

Ahhhhhhh so you haven't encountered the Orphalese tarot program yet then? xxxxxxx

catlin

I prefer face to face readings (so I am hopeless with remote readings, LOL) because so many misunderstandings may arise with computer readings.

I sometimes do a quick reading for myself on facade.com because I like the variety of decks and spreads there.

serenaserendipity

thank you marion

thank you marion,
for that post...

it's kind of strange for me to realize that the computer was my mentor for learning tarot... but then again, i am part of the first generation who grew up with computers... i started programming a computer when i was 9... (but then stopped when I became a Luddite at 13-- but i've gone back a bit now!)

any other websites people find good?

I like very much Tarot.com (but they're pricey unless it's your birthday!)
facade.com is good for its beautiful array of decks...
also, there's llewellyn's
www.llewellyn.com/free/tarot.php
and alison day's lotus tarot ...

-serendipity

p.s. i never heard before that idea about the internet being good for electrical impressions... though i have noticed some lightning speed synchronicity an intuition here on the forum, with people posting at the same time!

Unknownspirit

I guess that the two are not that much different from each other.
The only thing is that when you have a person read for you, you get the person's take on what the cards mean. They would be able to make the connections between the cards. A computer can only give you a single meaning that it always gives with a card.

serenaserendipity

thanks for the aleph tarot recommendation

hi marion thanks for pointing out that old thread
and fulgour, your recommendation was great

verrry interesting!

Fen Windglimmer

I wonder if it is possible for anyone to distinguish between a computer-generated reading and one from a live reader.

I guess it would be a really easy experiment to perform.

Love and light to all.

Fen

Zephyros

I think that Tarot is one of the last wholly organic pastimes that there are. It is all about intuition and having the person in front of you and using it. It is also about developing your own insights as a way of life, if you are a reader. Personally, I dislike computer generated readings, since ultimately, it is like reading the LWB. The computer does not make up a story for you, it cannot see the connections between the cards. After all, the reading must fit the Querent, not the other way round.

serenaserendipity

nice point

i agree wholeheartedly

i read an interesting article about computers playing chess where it pointed out the main obstacle to teaching a computer chess is its inability to make creative conclusions it can only be programmed to interpret vast amounts of data

xo
serendipity