Do you feel more comfortable sharing your readings online as opposed to in "RL"

Dark Artemis

Do you feel more comfortable sharing your readings online as opposed to in "RL"

I have been mulling over something recently.. I am a fairly private person, and I don't generally confide in people very quickly.
Since Tarot is so incredibly revealing, that also extends to sharing my personal readings.

Yet, I have found I am much more likely to share a reading with an online friend, or with relative strangers in an online community than I am to discuss my readings with people I know in my three dimensional world.

Now, some people might attribute this to the anonymity of the net... but I'm not sure it applies in my case. I take online communities and online friendships very seriously, and I don't view them as any less than their 3D equivalents.

So, I am curious, does anyone else here find it easier to discuss their Tarot readings in an online setting?

Unknownspirit

The thing with telling people in real life is that they can tell lots of other people. When you talk about it online with people you don't know, it stays there. It is easy to talk about it here because we know that everyone else here loves tarot, there is no chance of them telling us that we are dumb or that we are going to hell.
I never tell people I know, but I have no problem talking about tarot here.

agedog1

It's just to physically hard to do! If I am sitting across from you it takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour for a reading - how many words do I speak during that time? It would take me days and days to type it out. I also do readings when people are not present but have requested a reading - it is simple I tape record it and then they pay the postage.

Sorry I just can't type fast enough to do lots of online readings.

Dark Artemis

Just to clarify... ;)
I'm not talking so much about online readings as just talking about the readings you do for yourself with others.

Unknownspirit

Another thing is that I don't know anyone who reads tarot in real life. So if would be weird to talk to some random friend about a reading because they would be lost and have no idea what I was talking about.

Dark Artemis

Unknownspirit said:
Another thing is that I don't know anyone who reads tarot in real life. So if would be weird to talk to some random friend about a reading because they would be lost and have no idea what I was talking about.

Hmmm.. Thing is I do know people in RL who read tarot. In fact, one of my closest friends introduced me to it. But, for whatever reason I feel far more comfortable discussing my readings with online friends.

Unknownspirit

Dark Artemis said:
Hmmm.. Thing is I do know people in RL who read tarot. In fact, one of my closest friends introduced me to it. But, for whatever reason I feel far more comfortable discussing my readings with online friends.
I think that it is easier to talk to people you don't have to see everyday. It can be hard to tell people, face to face, about personal stuff. Besides, when you talk to people online, they can give you an outside perceptive that a close friend would not be able to give.

Dark Artemis

Unknownspirit,
very, very true..
And it is probably also the fact that even when you take an online community or online friendships seriously, there is far less of a chance that discussing such personal things will have a huge repercussions upon your life.

I know one woman who shared her reading with an acquaintance. That reading revealed that she was contemplating having an affair...(her marriage was going through a very rough period). Before she knew it.. her husband had learned of the situation.

Unknownspirit

Dark Artemis said:
I know one woman who shared her reading with an acquaintance. That reading revealed that she was contemplating having an affair...(her marriage was going through a very rough period). Before she knew it.. her husband had learned of the situation.
People in real life never shut up. That why I keep most things about me a secret. If she told a online friend about the reading, this would have never happened unless her husband posted here too.
But why would anyone tell an acquaintance of all things about thinking of having an affair!?! Thats just crazy.

Dark Artemis

Unknownspirit said:
People in real life never shut up. That why I keep most things about me a secret. If she told a online friend about the reading, this would have never happened unless her husband posted here too.
But why would anyone tell an acquaintance of all things about thinking of having an affair!?! Thats just crazy.

Indeed, I also tend to think that people in online communities tend to value confidence a little more sometimes. Especially if it is a community based on something like tarot. For one, there is a sense of violating something sacred.

I was quite stunned myself..
I think she was probably really distraught and confided in the first person who appeared sympathetic. Plus, the fact that she was drinking at the time probably had an influence.