Vacation Decks

bleuivy

Hi, everyone.

I'm about to head away on a week-long vacation in Florida with my family, and I realized as I started making my packing list (because I'm a list person :shhh:) that this is the first vacation I'll be taking where I won't be taking a Vacation Deck. Because of course I take a tarot deck with me when I travel! And I'll be taking a deck, but it'll be the same deck I usually use. (The International Icon, or perhaps the Radiant Rider Waite.)

Usually, I'd take a deck with me on vacation that I don't know as well as I'd like, and use the change in scenery to explore the diffrent imagry in the deck as well. Or, if I were going to the beach, I might take a beach deck, which is, I guess, kind of like a beach book: fun and summery, quick paced and snappy. A wintery vacation might yield something a little darker (in hue, not tone), warmer, and more cozy.

Does anyone else do this? Or am I crazy and strange? Do you take decks with you when you're vacationing? Do you take old favorites? New decks? Decks to fit the mood of where you're going?

Or maybe I'm just strange. :laugh:

Moonbow

Of course I do!

I recently went abroad and took my main Marseilles reading deck, plus the Spiral and another Marseilles deck for studying. I also knew that I intended to buy a deck and would spend some time with that too.

I did three readings while I was away, and a few practice ones for me with the deck that I bought. I don't go on holiday without them because I use Tarot in some aspect every day.

a_shikhs

Yes i definately take a deck with me when i travel.. Carrying a deck makes my packing complete.. :D

Infact last year, i had gone abroad for a business trip with my dad and i just took the RWS along for the heck of it. That was the first time i had taken a deck along after learning the cards. And suddenly out there, three of my dad's colleagues asked for readings.. My RWS was so handy and accurate and they were very happy with the readings. It was so worth carrying a deck.

I am now planning to use the spiral as my vacation deck as its small and really cute.. :)

You must carry a deck along and always keep place for a new one in case you buy one from there.. :D

Dwaas

Yes I also bring at least one deck on my holidays.
Depending on my mood I have a choice between an old Burdel Marseille, mini Thoth, mini Visconti and now I am awaiting a mini Fournier! So I think that will be the one for my next travels. My other decks also leave home, for readings or study them in another surrounding, but they never go for the holidays.
I can not imagine that I have no deck with me, also when on vacation :)

a_shikhs said:
You must carry a deck along and always keep place for a new one in case you buy one from there.. :D

Good idea!

Blessings

Emily

I used to take 3 or 4 decks away with me when I go down to Wales for weekends or holidays then find that I only used perhaps one of them and didn't have time to even look at the decks I'd taken to get to know better.

But its different now because of the 'One Deck Wonder' Study and so I only take the one deck - the Old Path. And I find that I make the time to do my dailies and even larger spreads. But I do sometimes buy a deck when I'm away - a year or so ago I bought the Tarot of the Mermaids and this deck always reminds me of Wales when I use it. :)

catlin

"Never go without a deck"

I usually take at least my battered old RW and the Legend Arthurian with me, currently I also have the Mini Thoth, New Orleans Voodoo tarot and the Mini Grimaud in my red rucksack.

I don't go that often abroad but I always carry at least 2 to 3 decks with me every day.

Wouldn't the LS Mermaid tarot be a very nice deck for a vacation on the beach?

Emily

catlin said:
Wouldn't the LS Mermaid tarot be a very nice deck for a vacation on the beach?

I did actually read with it for that Summer on the beach and I think thats why it always brings back good memories. :)

bleuivy

Moonbow* said:
I recently went abroad and took my main Marseilles reading deck, plus the Spiral and another Marseilles deck for studying. I also knew that I intended to buy a deck and would spend some time with that too.

You know, I have never bought a deck while travelling before. I quite like the idea. Usually my souveniers are all unusuable, though nice. Postcards and so forth. I quite like the idea of having a souvenier that gets used again and again and holds memories of the place where it was purchanced, like the LS Mermaids Emily posted about.

I've just had a lovely idea for a deck of cards: the Postcard Deck, with images of different places all over the world, specifically for travelling with and getting insights on the road. Surely someone has done this already?

michmm

bleuivy said:
Does anyone else do this? Or am I crazy and strange? Do you take decks with you when you're vacationing? Do you take old favorites? New decks? Decks to fit the mood of where you're going?

Or maybe I'm just strange. :laugh:

:grin: no no your are not krazy or strange or abnormal...
Well, I have never taken a deck with me on vacation and after joining AT, i realize i must have been krazy Not to~!!!
so i'm the one who's crazy and strange, not you!!!!!
lol
its a great habit, i'm sure... and i will certainly pack one on my next vacation!
:love:
mich

LadyMedusa

I normally have a deck in my handbag. It varies among my top 5 favs. If I'm going on a day trip, I take whichever deck I'm studying along to pass the time on the road.
As for vacations, I do take other decks when traveling. I took 3 or 4 on my honeymoon...lol.

LadyMedusa