Tarot or Oracle?

Moon mind

I propably sound like a complete Newbie...But
I would Like to know what is the difference between oracle cards tarot cards.
Oracle: No major- minor arcana.
Tarot:major - minor arcana
Is that it, or there is other differences?
Thanks
mm

Unknownspirit

Tarot cards have set means that most decks follow.
Tarot decks always have 78 cards(some decks may have a extra card or two)
With Oracle cards, each deck follows its own rules.

firecatpickles

Unknownspirit said:
Tarot decks always have 78 cards (some decks may have a extra card or two)
The Minchiate Tarot has 97 cards, 41 trumps instead of 22 major arcane.

KK

Unknownspirit

Really... well then tarot has "at least" 78 cards.

Moon mind

Unknownspirit said:
Really... well then tarot has "at least" 78 cards.
Hi and thank you!
then what about some decks with only 22 Majors? they are still Tarot? right?
thanks
Mm
still little confused...

Sulis

Moon mind said:
Hi and thank you!
then what about some decks with only 22 Majors? they are still Tarot? right?
thanks
Mm

Yes, they're still tarot - that would be a Major's only deck.

Most complete tarot deck have a Major and a Minor Arcana and the Minor arcana is divided into 4 suits.
Oracle decks tend to have no set structure.

truelighth

kilts_knave said:
The Minchiate Tarot has 97 cards, 41 trumps instead of 22 major arcane.

KK

I don't think the Minchiate Tarot actually qualifies as a tarot, so the name is actually deceiving. It is a Minchiate deck, not true tarot. But they are very closely related.

firecatpickles

truelighth said:
I don't think the Minchiate Tarot actually qualifies as a tarot
Actually, it is, because the majors are synonymous with "classical" majors and have the same meanings. There are the classical 4 suits that are read identically. The extra zodiac and elements are not oracle cards, and the added ecclesiastical virtues are merely an extension of the 78 tarot. Sometimes I take cards out and read with just the 78, too, and I don't change my reading style when I read with my Minchiate, either.

The modern game of Tarot only uses 62 cards, is that right? And I believe the game of minchiate is played very similarly.

Take this analogy: If you are playing solitaire that uses 2 decks instead of just one, or you are playing canasta with 4 decks and all but four "10's" removed -aren't you still playing with a standard deck?

KK

truelighth

Ok, that makes sense. I can be mistaken of course. I just thought that officially the Minchiate didn't qualify as a real tarot, just like the Mantegna is not a real Tarot. Dunno where I got that idea from really.

firecatpickles

I had that question when I started the Minchiate Reading Exchange -and Solandia allowed it as "tarot" even though some consider it not to be. I think the litmus test are the 4 standard suits and the major arcana as "separate" from those. Compared to other oracle decks out there (and some "tarot" decks out there -you know, the ones with stones as pentacles, and knives as swords, etc.), the minchiate is very much a tarot, IMHumbleO. I didn't think this way at first until I started actually using it as all the extra cards were quite intimidating.