Deck mystery: Rune Vision Cards

Pagan X

The meanings supplied for the Rune Vision Cards are basically that of assigning a Norse deity to each rune.

No rationale or historical evidence is given for the assignments, and I can't find any explanation in other sources of why:

Fehu = Freya
Uruz = Vidar
Thurisaz = Loki
Ansuz = Odin (actually, this is reflected in the ancient poems)
Raido = Thor (not Thurisaz? why?)
Kaunaz = Skuld
Gebo = Gefjon
Wunjo = Valkyries
Hagalaz = Hella
Nauthiz = Tree Spirits
Isa = Skadi
Jera = Sif
Eihwaz = Uller
Pertho = Frigg
Algiz = Heimdal
Sowelo = Baldur
Teiwaz = Tyr (this also is reflected in poetry)
Berkana = Urd
Ehwaz = Iduna
Mannaz = The All-father (Isn't that Odin? Is he double-dipping?)
Laguz = Njord
Inguz = Frey
Othila = Vali
Dagaz = Verdandi

Anybody got an explanation other than this was a deck cynically and easily designed by pulling correspondences out of nether orifices?

darwinia

Pagan X said:
No rationale or historical evidence is given for the assignments, and I can't find any explanation in other sources of why:

I think Sylvia has created a deck with her own correspondences.

It's a different thing when an author *pretends* there is some sort of historic correlation--decks like that I get cynical about.

I like this deck and have owned it for about two years. I feel that the keywords and correlation were developed from the meaning of the rune to the classic mythological personality of the deity.

Not really historical but mythological, and myths often have variations to them, so I didn't take the corresponces too rigidly.

It's simply a system developed through the author's personal reaction to the deities. I never thought it "had" to be historical, nor do I think she has promoted it as such.

My personal reactions to her personal reactions!