Learning how to read proffesionaly

skeetonwarde

I have been learning how to read the tarot for about 9 months now and have some really great books on interpretation and spreads, but would now like to maybe think about reading for other people with a view to charge for the readings later on. Are there any structured courses around in the uk for people who want to read proffesionally or should i just carry on teaching myself and reading for friends and family. How do you know when you're ready and is it even ok to charge for readings. I love the tarot deeply now and I would not want to feel I am abusing the cards for my own ends.

Advice would be amazing plus i;d love to know how some of you decided you were ready to read tarot proffesionaly and how you went about starting up.

Grizabella

I think the best training for doing professional readings is to practice, practice, practice reading for people for free to begin with. After doing that for awhile---say several months to a year or longer----then if your feedback is good, you could start putting out a donation jar and see how it goes. Not everyone is cut out for reading professionally, in my opinion, and even those who are probably spend a long time learning and practicing before charging. I know I did.

Umbrae

The gap between reading for yourself, family and friends, and reading professionally is huge.

The key is, you're reading face to face - with strangers. That's scary enough, toss money into the mix and it can be terrifying at first.

When I first wrote "The Process" it was designed as a series of articles about reading for strangers face to face. You must understand - that there is a process, an internal one, in making the move. And it's an area for which there are no books published...at this time.

There is a book 'about' reading professionally (I suggest checking out of the library, so you can return it when done. It's not worth the cover price).

There are no classes that can teach you how to deal with the internal processs that you'll find yourself in when the safty nets are gone.

So...

Read for as many people as possible. Read for strangers face to face. Don't have a book or journal handy. When you get really comfortable...then you can toss money into the mix...and then...I don't care how good you may be...you'll have to learn all over again.

Money changes everything...

and the learning...is a process.

tarotbear

Of course, when I see a question like this I always wonder if the poster is asking how to 'read' professionally, or are they asking how to 'charge' professionally?

"Knowledge of the cards" does not change because the person sitting across from you is getting a free reading or handing you $100 to do it; knowing what you are doing is the important thing. The meaning of the card does not change with the price charged.

Learn to read the cards first - becoming a 'professional' comes later.

TemperanceAngel

This may sound harsh.....

But, I really do believe that it takes at least 5 years reading practice to bring you into a space where you feel you can charge for readings. And I really mean AT LEAST.
Taking donations can be a great idea if you really feel as though you want to have a monetary exchange.
Unless you want to say you are an Apprentice Reader and charge less?
We had an Apprentice Reader at one Metaphysical Shop I worked at. I thought it was a great idea. Readings were cheaper, like when you get your hair cut by an Apprentice Hairdresser.
It worked well.

skeetonwarde

Thanks for your replies! The idea of being an apprentice reader is excellent, and I do appreciate how life experince does help in reading the tarot, which i will have more of when i am older. I suppose i just want the oppurtunity to read for people i dont knowe as opposed to family and friends, which in some ways is harder as you already know things about them and cant always say things in case you hurt their feelings. I might see if any psychic fairs would let me go along and give free readings.

TemperanceAngel

Maybe you should look for a Tarot Mentor to be an Apprentice to?
Just a thought, but it sounds good to me :)
Wish I had that idea when I was 22.
Hang on, maybe I should take on an Apprentice Reader, LOL.
It really is not such a bad idea!!

KaiMoonshadow

This is a great thread... I had been wondering the same thing as I would like to try to read for others on a professional level one day (several years into the future though, I feel!)

I found this book on Aeclectic and thought it might be of some help:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/professional-tarot/

Good luck! :)

agedog1

find a "hands-on" teacher that lives near you and take class'.

With my students the beginners (when they complete the class) are ready for reading for anyone but not for charging money. Intermediate graduates are ready for the professional world, seniors are ready to teach.

Having said that please understand the beginners are expected to study 2 -4 hours per day 5 days per week for thirteen weeks (and that does not include class lecture time). They also have 1 supervised outing (a psychic fair)

Intermediate's study 2-4 hours 5 days per week for 40 weeks, they do 10 supervised outings (reading on the street so to speak or at psychic fairs). Final term paper at end of class.

Seniors is combination class room an open study for two years minimum. Must have 50 supervised readings (they can be fee or no fee). Must substitute teach beginners class'. Must teach a full beginner class (supervised).

So you want to find someone in your area with similiar strict class' Your beginner course will run $300 - $500 and should include everything i.e. cards class syllabus, books, and various handouts.

HudsonGray

It's pretty easy to get strangers to ask you for free readings. Just shuffling the cards and playing with them when you're out at the park or elsewhere will get people looking your way. If it's ok with where you are (with the manager of the coffee shop, with the librarian at the library, etc.) you can do an hour or two there. I've seen readings done over at the coffee section at Barnes & Noble here for instance.

When they catch your eye and are smiling, wave the deck at them and say "I need some practice, do you want a free reading?", it's as easy as that. Make sure they're not frowning when they look your way, there are a lot of religious types who don't want to be within 10 feet of a card layout. You can set out a little card that says "I read for free, just ask me" too.

Someone brought up the idea of reading for ladies at beauty salons, which I thought was a dynamite idea. Talk to the manager of one of those places and ask if they'd let you do a practice day for 2 or 3 hours (bring a card table or see if they have an extra). It's easy to get started. You just want to minimize the logistics problems and aggravation.

If you go to science fiction conventions, you could read for literally 80% of the people there, they'd all be up for the experience. LOL