Court cards as MBTI types

rl4ever

I’m new here, so if this it in the wrong place for this question, or if it has already been done, please point me in the right direction.

Has anybody here ever tried connecting the 16 Court cards to the 16 personality types described in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, which is based on Carl Jung’s psychological type framework?

Thanks; CJ

brenmck

rl4ever said:
Has anybody here ever tried connecting the 16 Court cards to the 16 personality types described in the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, which is based on Carl Jung’s psychological type framework?

Yes, it lines up very well, in combination with the suits. I think there is a thread somewhere that discusses this. Whoever finds it first please chime in?

~B~

Rhian

http://tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=6226

I think this might be the thread that brenmck was referring to? I was looking at it just the other day.

I don't know much about the Myers-Briggs personality types but this has interested me, so I'll have to read up on it!

rl4ever

Oh, yes, this is fantastic. Just what I was looking for. Thank y’all so much for the pointer!! Made my day! I shall now settle in to read the whole thing.

And may you enjoy your study, Rhian. Here are a couple of my favorite MBTI-related links.
http://www.keirsey.com/
http://www.personalitypathways.com/

Love; CJ

Deana

Mary K. Greer covers this in her book on court cards, but she presents three different systems of attribution, which was confusing. Furthermore, when I got some books from the library about MBTI, the more I tried to match them up, the more convinced I became that they would not align as well as I'd like (which is probably why the systems of attribution didn't match).

In the end, I went back to astrological correspondences, which seem to play out better (for example, someone I know who is a very airy Libra ends up being a Page of Pentacles with the MBTI correspondences, which just doesn't describe her personality in any way and she actually has no earth in her astrological chart).

northsea

Probably the most logical way to match the MBTI to the court cards is by correspondence with suit-element and rank. As previously mentioned, there's a lot of Aeclectic threads that explain this.

But there was one thread where someone mentioned how they matched the various types to the court cards by examining how they viewed each court card's individual personality. Trying that out on my own, I used the traditional court card meanings, such as Page of Swords = alert 'spy', and found a match between the MBTI and traditional meanings. It seems those traditional meanings have more depth than sometimes given credit for.

Aura Wolf

I have another page to contribute: http://www.personalitypage.com/index.html

Thanks for the interesting idea! I'd never thought of it before, and it greatly intrigues me because I have been very into the MBTI personality profiles again lately and doing a lot of reading and analyzing. I'll have to try it!

northsea

Will Worthington briefly mentions the connection between the court cards and the MBTI in his DruidCraft tarot book. His descriptions of the court cards' meanings have a MBTI flavor, but he doesn't specifically state the MBTI type assigned to each court card, perhaps leaving it to the reader to figure out his assignments.

Itika

East side of Europa knows this types as "16 typs of informationical metabolism". There is a logical system, how court carts and typs are connected. Four informationical functions (intuition as fire; ethic as water; sensoric as air and logic as earth) will give 16 versions of collation - the same as in tarot, I-Ching and DNA (amino acids).

Remark. In big I-Ching table you can see four smaller squares (16 hexagrams in each), where middle digrams are the same, but upper and nether gives 16 combinatsions of the 4 elements.

You can use this system in consulting firms, organisations, collectivs. And it gives a good modern speek-lexicon for description of humantypes and their relations.