The History behind your Decks.

Elven

Do you have a deck that has a story or a history behind it?

I have a few decks which were given to me which have stories attatched to them. I love a deck with a history :p
So seeing I have just become the new caretaker of a gifted deck with a 'history' I thought maybe you wouldn'y mind me sharing here ...

The other day, a friend was packing up to move. She sms'd me to say 'pop over' I have something for you. The following day, I bumped into her at the Post Office, so we went for coffee, as this will be the last time I see her. We had a lovely afternoon, and the coffee shop proprietor kicked us out - so I drove her home.

I was standing in her kitchen when she presented me witha bundle of cloth. Inside was a old and very worn deck of cards. Im not sure what they are yet - she wasnt sure either - but she told me the story behind this deck, and how she ended up with them.

A friend of hers many years ago was in a bad way - she was addicted and lonely and going through a very hard time. She decided to go for a walk and on this particular weekend, the markets were being held near her home. (This is a place called Balmain in Sydney) As she wandered through the crowd - the Tarot reader (of some reputation and longstanding at these markets) called her over. She didnt know the woman. The reader took her by the arm and said - 'Come and have a coffee with me - I have something for you - a gift.

So the girl went to the cafe and sat with the reader and talked to her for ages. At the end of the meeting, the Tarot reader took from her bag a set of tarot cards she had been reading with for years. "These are for you - a gift from me" she said. The girl took them and put them in her bag. She had not read Tarot before and wasnt sure what they were.

For many years the girl kept the deck safe, but never used the cards. Eventually she got her life together and wanting a change, so decided to move. My friend happened to be around at the time - and also read Tarot. The girl passed the cards to her - knowing that they would be in good hands, respected and used, and had heard that you pass Tarot cards on to someone else - a giveaway. My friend accepted the gift of the cards and took them home.

When my friend finally looked at the cards - she knew they didnt gel with her -she studied them thoroughly though, but after a time, she packed them away and for years lay in their cloth in a box.
So now, it was her turn to move and during packing she came across the deck. She wrapped them in a bright yellow bandana, over the original cloth, and decided that she would give them to me, as she too thought it best that the cards be passed on to someone she knew.

So, I am now the 4th proud owner of this deck of cards which have passed through a few hands, and I love them. I cleansed them and have just done my first reading with them - they feel great - and even though I wasnt sure if I would connect with them - a little study of the pictures and a bit more time to 'listen' to what they were saying, and I think I have been gifted a great working deck.

..and they're already old, tatty, bent, warped, dirty and worn - just the way I like them! Perfect. :p

So do you have a deck with a history! Would love to hear about it!

Blessings
Elven x

Mimers

Elven,

That is a very special story indeed. I too have a special deck.

I have a copy of the Greenwood deck that was given to me by a member here long after it went out of print. This person could have gotten a lot of money for it, but asked for nothing. I had gone to a Intro to Shamanistic journey class and we entered a card. This is the deck that he used for the class. I had a very moving experience with it and wanted to continue using the deck in this way. I have done more journeys into the cards and even tried it with other decks, but ultimately I use my Greenwood for this. I often meet my power animals there and every journey I have done so far has been extremely helpful to me.

I will treasure this deck because of the way it speaks to me, but mostly because of the loving and unselfish way it was given to me. If ever I stop using it, it will be given away as a gift just as I received it.

Here is a link to my thread asking for the deck.

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=24591&highlight=Greenwood

Mimi

Elven

Thanks for sharing that mimers :) Great story, and you can feel your sentiments through your post - very special.

mimers said:
I will treasure this deck because of the way it speaks to me, but mostly because of the loving and unselfish way it was given to me. If ever I stop using it, it will be given away as a gift just as I received it.

Yep, I agree! I will pass my decks on if ever it comes to that. Sometimes I think the deck is trying to find 'me' and the best decks I read with are the ones that have been given to me - and Im so grateful that I have them :)

Blessings
Elven x

Little Baron

Would be interested to know which deck you have Elven. Can you photograph them? Would be great to see this tatty but wonderful heirloom.

LB

bleuivy

I have a deck with a little bit of history behind it (but I admit, not nearly as much as your decks, Elven and Mimers).

A little over a year ago, as I was becoming more interested in tarot, I was nervous about "coming out" to my family about reading tarot. My parents took it relatively well, I suppose. They said they thought I was doing something idiotic, and it was a waste of time, but then everything sort of evened out and moved on.

Over the phone, meanwhile, my Uncle's reaction was exactly the opposite. He, it turns out, reads tarot too! We chatted about tarot for ages and about how ironic it was that we both developed an interest in tarot independantly, and only found out about it after we were both firmly entrenched as "tarot readers." It turns out that while I favour the RWS and like decks, he favours the Thoth. As we were about to hang up, he mentioned that he had a deck that he'd had lying around for ages and didn't like, and he'd throw it into the box he was sending for Christmas.

And that is how I came to own the Buckland-Romani deck and book set.

Not much of a story, but I like it. And the deck. :)

Hmmm...it occurs to me that my Uncle may even be a member of AT. In which case, cool. :D

Elven

Hi LB :)

Im so frustrated because I can no longer post pics until I get my new computer! This thing you have to peddle :p

I will get the camera chip thingy photos put onto a disc next week and try to post them - Ive has trouble with that too cause the files are so big and my programe doesnt 'compress' (?) them small enough!! :(

But I can describe them - Ok have the magnifing glass out - hmmm... 1984 USGames - so they're 22 years old - not ancient - but heirlooms as you said - nice word for this deck :)

The backs are gold with a greyish colored double ribboned frame border with diamond shaped design made from leaves with a double star in their centers.

Most of the Majors have a gold intricate framed background - reminds me of the Visconti-Sforza backdrops - each picture is set in fine ribbon wrapped frame. The font is like an old english text, and the numbers are I, II, III, IIII, V, etc. Its quite an unusual deck - but has lots of symbology, some modern - some old - some lifted from other decks.

Im thrilled with the condition they're in though - these cards have been used - even if the last two owners havent used them, they have scratches and black blobs and fluffy edges - YAY :p they feel AMAZING. I just got some feedback from the first reading done with them - (and this is the type of deck they are - not me) - "speechless". These cards are like WOW.

*Elven dances off*

Will post pics next week :D

Any idea of what they might be?

Blessings
Elven x

Little Baron

I havn't Elven.

But will be interested to see them.

I got a nice worn deck from E-bay recently - a 1JJ Swiss. It feels lovely too. The cards are not shiny, but matt and glide beautifully.

Look forward to seeing them. Have you looked through the decks here to see if it comes up?

LB

BodhiSeed

I got a package some time ago from a friend here at AT. I was expecting a package from her, but when I opened it, I was surprised to find a Tarot of Timeless Truth deck and book. I received an email soon thereafter that my AT friend's hubby had mistakenly sent the wrong box. The TofTT was a trade that was supposed to go to another ATer; I offered to send the box on to her. The strange thing was a few days before the box arrived, I saw a hawk in my yard with a kill (a dove), which is a bit unusual as I live in the city. Imagine my surprise when I discovered the ATer whose box I had accidently gotten was Hawksgirldove! Anyway, I was glad for the mix-up because it allowed me to find a deck and book set that is one of my favorites -- I ordered the Tarot of Timeless Truth soon thereafter for myself!

Many blessings,
Bodhran

Lady Orchard

Elven, are they the Medieval Scapini?