Crystal ?'s

diane drizzy

Since I'm a newbie at crystal properties and uses, I just was wondering what is the most effective way to use them and in what form-pendants, earrings or just carry them in a pocket or purse?
Sorry if my questions are basic, but I guess I've got to start somewhere.
Thanks in advance!

sharpchick

I think the answer to that is as individual as each person. I personally use them on and around me - wearing them and placing them in my environment.

I also use two spheres on my altar to represent the God and Goddess - selenite for the Goddess and black obsidian for the God.

BlueLotus

I like to wear crystals as pendants, on rings or as/on bracelets.

However, they could be useful as pendulums, to hold in your palm for special occasions and for chakra clearning when meditating.

I keep the heavier ones by my bed-side in a bamboo dish, for protection and to aid in sound sleep. I also keep some on my altar- reading quarters.

I suggest that you get yourself a basic book on crystals with illustrations of their meanings and uses, such as Healing with Crystals and Crystal Therapy, in order to get in tune with their healing and unique properties.

Bluemanticore

I pretty much agree with the previous replies. The most effective way differs from person to person. I myself find just carrying them in hand or pocket works fine for me. Getting yourself a good reference book on the subject would be a big help. The one I suggest is Scott Cunningham's "Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem & Metal Magic." Hope this helps.

diane drizzy

Thanks guys-very helpful-and my next question was going to be book recommendations!
This will certainly help to start me off.

lark

Diane when I was new to crystals it all overwhelmed me.
So I did something that I still use all the time to this day.
I wrote up simple lists of stones and what they can be used for like one list is for stones that are~
Good protective stones
Good to use in manifestation work
Good for monthly period aches and pains
Good for Prosperity
Good garden stones
Stone that you can use during meditation.
My favortie list is Tarot Stones... those that you should keep around you when you do readings or with your cards.

So my lists were tailor made.
Like one time I was retaining fluids really bad and I made a list of stones that are good for relief of that.
So a new list came into being as each need came up.

This made it so simple to just work with those stones and not need to search through pages and pages to try and find the right stones.

Oh and if I didn't own the stone it wasn't on the list...why clutter your brain up with something you can't hold in your hand and use because you don't have it.

My favorite books are:

#1 The Illustrated Dictionary of Healing Crystals by Cassandra Easton
If I could only have one book this would be it.

#2 The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall

#3 Love Is In The Earth by Melody

I only have these three books and I have never felt I needed more they pretty much have covered every question I've ever had.

edited to add: So sorry I didn't even answer your question...I like to wear my stones and I also set up little displays with my lose stones.
Like I just did a wish spell so I had the wish written on a piece of paper and I had my small rainbow obsidian sphere resting on top the paper.
Then I made a ring of of moonstone, sodalite, citrine, unakite, blue calcite, howlite, and rutilated quartz around it as those are my manifestation stones.

P.S. my wish was recieved :)

I also love to hold and play with my meditation stones when I meditate.

sharpchick

I've got Scott Cunningham's and Judy Hall's books. If you could only get one of those, I'd pick Judy Hall's - she is incredibly comprehensive and the photos really help with identification.

diane drizzy

Just ordered S.Cunningham and J.Hall's books.
This should keep me busy for awhile!

FantasyWorld

sharpchick said:
I also use two spheres on my altar to represent the God and Goddess - selenite for the Goddess and black obsidian for the God.

I'd love to hear more about using the spheres on your altar....what a great idea!

I carry stones w/me at work and when I go out. I wear them when I can but it's easier and works better for me to put a stone in my pocket as I have lots of loose stones and not so much jewelry. I also put them under my pillow,on a Tarot card, next to my bed and various things.

sharpchick

FantasyWorld said:
I'd love to hear more about using the spheres on your altar....what a great idea!

A lot of people identify strongly with gods/desses from one or several traditions, but I don't. I readily identify with the female/male aspects of deity though, as well as elemental and planetary associations and their correlations with gods/desses. I chose selenite for its moon/feminine aspects and ability to open the crown chakra, making it easier to access higher guidance. I chose black obsidian for for its ability to magnify negative eneregies for them to be experienced and released, as well as its strong protective qualities. Black obsidian also helps bring you face your shadow side - something I associate with the masculine force of deity. Both stones are very good for spiritual/soul work.

I didn't want polished stones - I wanted exceptional sphere specimens and I wanted to hand pick them from local sources. I was quite surprised to discover that I had a much harder time finding the size and quality obsidian sphere I wanted than the selenite. I obtained the selenite sphere from a metaphysical shop run by a kitchen witch/High Priestess I know. The sphere is incredible - you can read about my first bonding experience with it in this post:

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=52609&highlight=selenite

I finally found the obsidian sphere about three months ago in one of my favorite crystal and mineral shops, about 50 miles from me. It is pure black and I have used it for scrying, with some interesting results.

FantasyWorld said:
I carry stones w/me at work and when I go out. I wear them when I can but it's easier and works better for me to put a stone in my pocket as I have lots of loose stones and not so much jewelry. I also put them under my pillow,on a Tarot card, next to my bed and various things.

I do the same thing. Sometimes you just can't find the right stone in ready made jewelry, and when I find a really cool crystal, I don't always want to wrap it for use in a necklace or bracelet, as I also place stones in the bags and boxes with my tarot cards. When I want to have more than one stone on me, it would be awkward to wear two or three necklaces and bracelets and still be able to wear my bone pentacle. I have a lovely piece of jet that I always carry with me.