How do you keep a notebook?

Briar Rose

Does anyone keep a notebook to learn a different deck? I am learning The Sacred Circle Tarot, and I noticed that there are changes in the names of the cards. If anyone keeps a notebook, what key pointers can you give me? Thank you.

Fulgour

Hi :) HeavensVault

Check the "Study Groups" forum INDEX and look up
Sacred Circle threads... We did some good work!

sharpchick

Are you asking specifically about the Sacred Circle deck, or if anyone journals and keeps separate journals for each deck?

Briar Rose

journals

Now I know why Sharpchick is such a good name for you! I wanted to know if anyone keeps journals on decks they are learning. Thank you for replying.

sharpchick

In that case, yes, I do. This is how I do it, but you will of course find your own best way.

When I first get a deck, I go through it in order, one card at a time, noting my intuitive impressions of each card that strikes me. (At this point, I have not looked through the LWB or any companion book that came with the deck.) I write down anything about the card that makes an impression - including as someone put it, that constipated look on the face of the Hierophant in the Robin Wood deck (I just loved that comment). Colors, directions, animals, symbols - a little story if I see one right away. Those pages start my study of the deck. Because I am sooooo Type A, I use a different color ink when I journal (on the same pages) the deck creator's thoughts about the deck, from the LWB or other source material.

My next entry is the new deck reading - which comes several days after the first few pages - I have to get a feel for a deck before I do this reading. It's a three card spread - 1) what will you teach me; 2) what do I need to do; 3) what will our relationship be like.

All my other readings with the deck, as well as meditations, go in this journal, except for New Moon readings - those have their own separate journal, regardless of what deck is used.

That's just what I do - your mileage may vary. . . ;)

Demon Goddess

I've always just journaled my readings. Lately I've been thinking about going back, taking the readings and cross-referencing each of the cards that had come up and what I saw in the cards, (They've all been done with the same deck), but it strikes me as a lot of work.

with love.

Briar Rose

Sharpchick

Thank you for your reply. What are new moon readings? And are you a pagan? What does LWB stand for?

I like your idea on writing down the impression of the cards.

Right now I am working with the Sacred Circle.

There's a tarot class coming up in my neck of the woods. I am thinking about going to it. Have you ever been to one? What are your thoughts about that?

get back to me.

Briar Rose

Demon Goddess

That is quite a name you have!

I am keeping a journal for studing the cards. I suppose there is a big difference between calling it a journal or notebook. A journal seems more personal. So far I didn't write any personal feelings, however, as you can see above Sharpchick writes her impressions of the cards, and then you used to write your spreads down. Yup, that would take a lot of time!

Maybe writing down the impressions would be a a good idea as it might help me get intouch with my intuitive side.

sharpchick

Whew, lotsa questions. . . okay, I got lotsa answers. . . ;)

HeavensVault said:
What are new moon readings?

The New Moon Spread I use has thirteen cards in it - one is in the center of the spread and represents the Seeker, dealt as the last card of the spread. The other 12 are divided into four groups of three and provide a look at each of the roughly four weeks between New Moons. The 12 cards are read for their mundane (meaning earthly as opposed to esoteric) interpretations, while the significator card is read esoterically.

Court cards always signify people in this spread and trumps (major arcana cards) herald very significant events or occurrences that are likely to have effect beyond the New Moon period.

HeavensVault said:
And are you a pagan?

Yes, I am a solitary witch in the heart of the Bible belt in the US.

HeavensVault said:
What does LWB stand for?

LWB = little white book, the one that comes with most decks, although not with the Sacred Circle, if I recall correctly.

HeavensVault said:
Right now I am working with the Sacred Circle.

I have that deck also - and really wish I had been able to get it when it was still being printed without borders. I got mine free from House of Tarot for doing a review of the deck.

HeavensVault said:
There's a tarot class coming up in my neck of the woods. I am thinking about going to it. Have you ever been to one? What are your thoughts about that?

Tarot classes can be good - the only one I have taken is the online course from Barnes and Noble University, which is free. You might want to check out Thirteen's educational series on tarot cards at ATF's parent website, www.aeclectic.net. I think with some of the forum skins, you can click on "learn" across the top of the forum taskbar to get there, although I don't see that with the forum skin I'm using now.

Feel free to ask some more. . . I'm a real talker. . . :p

MeeWah

Moderator Note

The off-topic posts after post #9 have been split from this thread to form a new thread in Tarot Decks regarding various decks.

It can be found here under the title: Tarot of Dreams, Gilded Tarot & other decks

http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=57955

~MeeWah
Co-Moderator, Talking Tarot