PDA

View Full Version : I saw death in the cards..

Evaliana
19-04-2006, 08:41
I was on vacation and of course was utilizing all of my friends and family members for free readings to get more practice. I read for a distant aquaintance whom I had known in highschool briefly. He has had a really rough life. He lost his dad to suicide his senior year (and he walked in on his body, being the first to find it too). Then 2 years ago, he lost his only sibling, his 18 year old sister to a drunk driver.
Long story short, his whole reading wasn't very positive. Since I cannot post what exact cards there were (or can remember the past cards) I will say that the 9th and 10th cards were the nine of swords followed by 10 of swords. I just FELT like there was something very wrong with the reading. As I looked at him, I told him it didn't look very good, that maybe he was going to go thru a very deep depression ( I had no idea he was already kind of depressed, but duh, w/his past I would be too). I told him that, well it looks like someone he knows will die and it will leave him in a deep state of depression. Well he jokingly said "Well I dont have anyone left TO die, just my mom and my best friend" Well then I was trying to keep the reading positive, so I said "nah it couldn't be that anyway..I guess its just stemming from money problems"
Well I joked it off but deep down just knew he was going to lose someone close to him.
The next morning he called me and said that his best friend had gotten killed by a drunk driver, and he never wants another reading again.
Then a few hours after that he said he just wanted to add more fuel to the fire and tell me that he found out his grandfather died too that day.
So while on my vacation my poor friend attended 2 funerals. One of his best friend and one of his grandfather, both of which he was a palbearer at.
I just feel so bad!!
I thought you guys might like to hear this reading..since I have been having a lot of things lately that have come true that I could forsee.
Anyone else have anything to share?

Kaworito
19-04-2006, 08:45
woah.. .I'm just... speechless...
I'm sorry to hear your friend lost two important persons in the same day. And it mut've been hard for you too, to see/feel those terrible things in the cards. That's something that scares me a bit about Tarot, when you see something bad and you knwo it's going to happen, and you can't do anything about it...
I don't know, this kinda things make me think a lot...

firecatpickles
19-04-2006, 08:49
Tarot is not to blame. You told him what he needed to know. If there were only 2 people of concern to him to die, why didn't he heed the advice and warn the both of them? What is sad is that one of the two of them might still be alive today.

KK

ArcanoMáximo
19-04-2006, 08:52
Most of the times i don't wanna see it at all, but yes, when some cards are there, someone will go to the other level...I try to say that is not a "Death" properly, but time before i have had the news of the death of a friend, relative, or the proper querent...Tarot is a very seriously thing after all. Thanks by share your experience!

Shaymus
19-04-2006, 09:11
I wish you could remember the other cards in the spread you used. I'll assume you were using the CC. I've had the 9 and 10 of swords show up in positions 9 and 10, respectively before, and no death has ever occurred, other interpretations were valid, such as worrying/depression and an ending of a state of affair, or 'this is as bad as it gets'. So, your intuition must have kicked in to get you to realize that it indeed meant death, and this interpretation turned out to be so.

In general, as to warning people if you see Death in the cards (and remember, you could be wrong)....who do you warn them about? Brother, sister, mother, father, cousin, aunt, uncle, wife, husband? Do you tell all these people to stay home for the next month? Unless the oracle you're using spells out the name of the individual and how they'll meet their end in this life, what do you do? If you warn them to stay at home, maybe they'll die in a house fire. My point is, their deaths are not the fault of the querent nor the fault of the reader. Tarot shouldn't nor doesn't instill guilt into anyone.

Shaymus

ArcanoMáximo
19-04-2006, 10:36
Of course is very important the querent's question.
But in general, as i've seen in my readings, the Tarot may be saying something about it, but always if is relevant to the querent's life.
Of course Tarot can't give names( or yes?) but a reader has to have some of intuition when reading...

WalesWoman
19-04-2006, 16:23
Tarot is not to blame. You told him what he needed to know. If there were only 2 people of concern to him to die, why didn't he heed the advice and warn the both of them? What is sad is that one of the two of them might still be alive today.

KK
Excuse me, but I hope no one ever lays that sort of line on me, or there might be another funeral to attend. There are many things that come to mind from your post, fortunately I will NOT say what I really think, other than where do you get off by accusing the poor guy of not warning them? Can you imagine feeling that if you had only known who, what , when & where that you might have saved them.... especially since he is already in a depressed state. How would you feel if you said something like this to the guy and then found out later he killed himself out of guilt and remorse. Think mon!

Did this reading name names, times, dates, anything other than that Evaliana picked up on more sorrow for this poor guy to bear... ending up physically bearing his sorrows and grief to their graves?

(((Evaliana))) this must have been very hard for you too.

Al Si'ra
19-04-2006, 17:48
Lot's of hugs and light to your way..!!

Try not to blame yourself..you needed to tell him in a way highly likely to prepare him for the bad news-that's why with these 2 cards you strongly sensed that someone was going to die; if you weren't supposed to tell anything at all i strongly believe that universe wouldn't let you feel the event..
Personally i would do the same thing..

I haven't sensed death so far in my readings but sensed other bad things and just told the querant that they should be ready..

:love:
xx

Lady Orchard
19-04-2006, 18:44
Hi, I just wanted to post because I don't think you should be feeling bad about this. You saw negativity in the cards, but that doesn't make it your fault in any way.
I think you're a better and honest reader for listening to your intuition and telling your acquaintance what you saw, rather than pretending it wasn't there.
And on some level, you may have actually helped him by preparing him for the bad news, so I think you could take comfort from that.
From a cards point of view, the 10 of Swords as the final card, indicates to me that your friend will also get through this hard time in the end. I always see it as the "light at the end of the tunnel" card.
With regards to you forseeing a lot of things recently, this is a positive sign that your intuition is developing....and I am sure you will foresee many happy things too
Hugs to you and your friend

a_shikhs
19-04-2006, 18:56
That is really scary.. But this wasn't your fault at all. Death is in no one's hands. Infact your friend should be glad you warned him about it. Atleast he would have spent more time with that person.

This hapebed to me a month ago. I predicted my grand father's death in the next few months. I had even predicted that first he will be a little ill and then will have a silent death. He is a little ill now but just hope my reading was wrong and nothing more happens.

Shikhs...

Moon mind
20-04-2006, 00:27
I really don't want to start some argument, and I am sorry this happened to you. (hug)
--but isn't it there a 'Tarot reader Etiquett" , that guides us to never tell person that someone is about to die?
just my opinion
we cannot prevent death... we can prevent how we will feel about it.

mm

Evaliana
20-04-2006, 00:45
Thanks everyone for your encouragement and kind words!
I had used a CC spead for this reading, and I wished I had written it down.

The other cards in the reading were a lot of reversed cards like knight of pents (he doesnt have a job, so I just said he might have some problems with laziness) the R 10 of pentacles was #8 (hence why I told him the depression and 10 of swords could be stemming from money troubles).

My intuition DID kick in when I laid out the cards. I just had this bad sense of dread. I dont know how to explain it, other than I just stared at him, bit my lip and started asking him questions. Hm..how do I explain how I interpret the cards..well one thing I have learned when reading tarot is to say the first thing off the top of your head. Death was the first image that popped into mine, and when he mentioned he only had 2 ppl left in his life he cared about, I just FELT it was one of them. I racked my brain looking for other cards that might indicate it, but I couldn't see it.

As for 'tarot reading etiquette' thats a very good topic. I have a hard time sugar coating things for people. I TOLD him that I always try to keep the readings very positive and lemme just tell him what I see. I realize you should never tell someone that someone they know will die..and I didn't put it like that at all. I said you might lose someone close to you, which will put you in a state of deep sadness, but you will get over it. Of course, I said I could be wrong, and your depression could stem from money troubles. Since there were no other cards in the reading like death, devil or tower etc, I just told him I was probably wrong and to watch his finances carefully, maybe pull out of the unemployed state.

As for the comment about who he could have warned about it, well I dont believe "we" could have done anything about it. I just hoped I prepared him for what came the next day. He was really freaked out about it, as was I, because although my readings have been really accurate over the last three months, this was something major. He wasn't that scared to get a second reading done after that one (one he asked about love) and that wasn't very positive either. Knight of cups R, 2 of cups R, page of cups R.
Hmmm maybe he should just stop having his cards read lol!

I find I do better readings for people I dont know very well, or very closely, because I am able to be more objective and less involved. I can just say what I feel, rather than worrying about the 'details' if you will.

Dean
20-04-2006, 01:13
I was interested in reading how people can see death in the Future in people's readings. This had happened to me with a reading i done about an old friend of mine who i had lost contact with. My reading also predicted some sort of accident that would lead to death and this was also about a month before it actually happened.

All the cards in the Layout suggested a final ending to something with the 10 of swords then 3 of swords, as this is called sorrow in my deck but of course nothing is set in stone when you do a reading, but what happens when your unable to find the friend to warn them about the coming dangers?

This i have to say was something that i can not express in words about how shocking an actuall event or death can have on a reader, it really does change your whole view's on how powerful the Tarot can really be when something like that happens.

full deck
20-04-2006, 02:01
Evaliana, it seems you were there at a special time for your friend. I feel that sometimes the reader takes on a burden when reading for someone who is a friend since the querent may need more than just advice and the reader might be in a position to help just by being there.

Do put the cards down and spend time with your friend and help if he needs help.

Evaliana
20-04-2006, 06:05
I am fulldeck, in fact, I told him I am going to buy his plane ticket out here to visit us in San Diego. He started bawling like a baby. He usually tries to joke about everything, he's a scorpio, and he keeps his feelings hidden WAY deep down to where no one can find them.
I think a change of pace would be good for him. Only problem is, I always try to save everyone and if I can't cheer him up I feel bad about it.:(

full deck
20-04-2006, 13:21
Do what you can do. It is not about cards, it is about being a mensch and helping and I have the impression you know what is needed.

Lady Orchard
20-04-2006, 18:05
He wasn't that scared to get a second reading done after that one (one he asked about love) and that wasn't very positive either. Knight of cups R, 2 of cups R, page of cups R.

Your friend is going through an awful time, and I think what these cards here are showing is that he's just not in the right frame of mind to find or start a relationship.
2 of Cups R and Knight of cups R made me think of somebody going out and getting unfulfilling one night stands, deep down needing affection, but being unable to commit properly.

So I am glad to hear he is coming to visit you, what he needs right now is a good friend such as yourself, just to be there for him. As Full Deck said it's not about the cards

Arania
21-04-2006, 02:12
Oh dear...

I only saw death once, and then I also knew it was preventable (and it was prevented by going to see a doctor). To me, it is always how the cards move for me, and in that special reading Death actually danced around and I could see the swords hitting the body in the 10 of Swords. I was pretty young then, too, about 11 I think, and not all that sure about how to react.

I'm not so sure about the whole etiquette thingy. The tradition I grew up in is vehemently against sugarcoating stuff. I think if I had not told the woman of the danger and raised a fuzz about getting her to a hospital, she would have truly died.

I think tragedy can't always be prevented, though.

Astrum_Stultas
21-04-2006, 12:44
I've definitely had experience in this department before.

VERY long story short, Aunt A did a tarot reading for a pregnant Aunt B and predicted the Death of the baby. When it happened, Aunt A freaked out and told my mom, who immediately thought the Tarot had CAUSED the death.

One thing I think everybody should know about the Death card is that if it DOES come up, it doesn't always mean death, but if it does, there's nothing anyone or anything can do to prevent it (unless the cards specify the outcome can be changed, such as the outcome of a friend's anorexia if she did nothing about it was Death, so a situation like that, it could be altered), and the Tarot does NOT CAUSE events to occur, it merely guides and predicts.

~Nicky

full deck
22-04-2006, 02:11
. . . One thing I think everybody should know about the Death card is that if it DOES come up, it doesn't always mean death, but if it does, there's nothing anyone or anything can do to prevent it (unless the cards specify the outcome can be changed, such as the outcome of a friend's anorexia if she did nothing about it was Death, so a situation like that, it could be altered), and the Tarot does NOT CAUSE events to occur, it merely guides and predicts.Consider that there is no substitution for having personal wisdom, meaning that, without wisdom and common sense, all the readings in the world will be ineffective. Changing an outcome can be a matter of using ones common sense but sometimes events may very much be like Oedipus Rex hearing the oracle and trying to prevent the death of his father by leaving Corinth — unwittingly travelling back to his true parents and his fate.

Moon mind
22-04-2006, 02:37
I've definitely had experience in this department before.

VERY long story short, Aunt A did a tarot reading for a pregnant Aunt B and predicted the Death of the baby. When it happened, Aunt A freaked out and told my mom, who immediately thought the Tarot had CAUSED the death.

One thing I think everybody should know about the Death card is that if it DOES come up, it doesn't always mean death, but if it does, there's nothing anyone or anything can do to prevent it (unless the cards specify the outcome can be changed, such as the outcome of a friend's anorexia if she did nothing about it was Death, so a situation like that, it could be altered), and the Tarot does NOT CAUSE events to occur, it merely guides and predicts.

~Nicky

EXACTLY-

aibhlin
22-04-2006, 05:32
I'm so sorry for your friend, and for you for realising that as you were reading his cards, I can't imagine how horrible it must've been. Just don't give up if your efforts of trying to save him seem to fail, I don't know if you're used to deal with depressed people but if not, there's not much you can do really but be there for them and support them. In the end you always have to climb out of it on your own (even if help from those you care about is essential to manage this).

Not to be disrespective, but this thread brings up very interesting questions about predestination and free will. Are there things about the future that are written in stone that we under no circumstances can change? And if we read something in the tarot, and then go on to change it, was this meant to be changed by our interviening or was it an act of free will and chance?

Asenath
22-04-2006, 05:53
One of the things that I found interesting about this story is that he thought that he only had 2 people left to die (so to speak)... Even though some people have thought he should have warned these two people, only one of the two who passed would have received a warning...

I was just thinking about what people do when they get a message about tarot and objective/subjective views on your life...Perhaps sometimes, the route we would take to "remedy" a situation, may not be the best one even after being advised?