The Necessity of Astrology

Skysteel

Hi, AT. Still haven't opened my Tarot deck.
- :|

Anyway, how is important is an understanding of astrology to learning the Tarot? I've seen lots of people making connections between the two, some of them regarded as canon, some not...personally, I'm not a big fan of astrology, but I understand that the Tarot is about symbols and archetypes, and thus connects naturally to astrology. I guess some decks are move overtly linked to astrology than others. Basically, how deep into astrology does one have to go to understand the Tarot?

fall_guy

I don't think you need ANY understanding of astrology to learn tarot.

I don't believe in astrology at all and to me, tarot and astrology are two different things. I really don't see the need for a connection between the two (although if people feel they get something out of making a connection, fair enough).

Grizabella

Even though a lot of tarot artists incorporate astrological symbols and images into their cards, you don't really need to know astrology to use the cards. They've done it to add another layer of depth to the meanings, but whether or not a reader uses them is up to the reader. It doesn't mean you can't read the cards if you don't know astrology.

How are you going to learn to read tarot if you never open your deck? Never mind the astrology----just open that deck and get busy! :D

Alta

Have to agree with the above posts. The most important thing about learning tarot is opening the deck. :)

Astrology can be a nice accompaniment but absolutely not necessary.

Skysteel

Thanks, it's reassuring to know astrology is largely separate; I guess on a certain level all spiritual practices are one, but I don't think I've quite reached that level yet.
- ;)

April

Skysteel said:
Hi, AT. Still haven't opened my Tarot deck.
- :|

Why not? Some things can only be learned by doing.

Anyway, no you don't need astrology. If you're into astrology, I'm sure it could add something. But it doesn't sound like you are, so it would probably just end up being an annoyance. It's just a system like any other (numerology, i ching, myers-briggs, etc.) that some people use to help them grasp Tarot a little better. I think most of us use something, but Tarot can and does stand on it's own.

What I find interesting is when I tell people that I don't beleive in astrology, and they're like, "But you read Tarot...?" Some people assume they go hand in hand.

Now open your deck and at least LOOK at your cards!

Peace,
April

Skysteel

Hey, April.
- :)

April said:
What I find interesting is when I tell people that I don't beleive in astrology, and they're like, "But you read Tarot...?" Some people assume they go hand in hand.

You know, I think you might have hit upon something there...maybe I've been reluctant to open my deck because I don't want people to assume things about my beliefs. Which is pretty sad, really.

Thanks for the advice, though.

Abrac

The study of astrology and the I Ching have both helped me understand the tarot immensely. It's not critical to learn astrology to read tarot, but my own experience has been that if you do, your understanding of the tarot will be greatly multiplied. The problem I've encountered is with tarot books. Many of them seem to focus primarily on the history of tarot, the meaning of the symbols, and brief divinatory meanings. All this is interesting, but astrology and the I Ching delve deeper into the powers and currents that shape our reality. Understanding how these work, and learning to tune into them is a major leap to understanding the tarot. Astrology and the I Ching are both much older than the tarot, not that age necessarily equals wisdom, but in this case it is my opinion they add much more to the tarot than vice versa.

-fof