PDA

View Full Version : REVERSALS: The Five's Reversed

Thirteen
29-04-2006, 10:38
Fives are all about loss and learning and change. The card suggests a hard loss that carries with it a lesson and an important change. The idea of the 5's seems to be that loss is important if things are going to push past the status quo to something new, different and/or better. Because of this, the reversed meaning does not, necessarily, turn loss into gain....

5/Swords: This is a card all about losing a fight, in particular a battle of wits or communication. There is a suggestion that the other side might have cheated or used underhanded methods. Reverse this and the card does not really say that the querent will "win" the argument instead. A blocked interpetation seems most apt here, and that interpeation suggests that the argument drags on.

If losing the argument is the energy, then blocking it means that there is no loss...but no win either. Just an on-going battle.

Another possiblity is that the querent does win the argument--but does not feel that they've won. It is a hollow win. And yet another interpetaion (upsidedown), suggests that neither side wins. All the swords are lost, everyone loses.

5/Wands: In this card, the querent is warned that he will lose his individuallity. That he will be strugging to stand out among others equally talented. What's positive about this card is that there is a struggle, a belief that one CAN stand out. Thus, Reversed, this card suggests that the person has no faith in winning such a struggle, and so doesn't even try.

This is the card of the person who walks in for a job interview, sees all these other talented people waiting, and walks out. They say, "What's the use of even trying. I can't possibly compete with them!"

5/Cups: Upright, this is a card about regret for lost love or other good feelings or people. What is always pointed out about his card is that even though the man weeps over the spilled cups, there are two standing that he's not seeing. Not all that is good is gone.

One can well imagine how dark, therefore, is the reversed card. Turn it upsidedown and the liquid in the remaining two cups is lost as well. Our weeping man has lost it all. Some because he spilled it himself, the rest because he didn't notice it and it evaporated. This is the stereotypical senario of the man who weeps over the loss of a beautiful girlfriend, never seeing the plain girl who still loves him and is still there waiting for him. In the reversed card, the plain girl finally gives up and goes off in search of love elsewhere.

5/Pents: The upright card suggests financial loss or a loss of luck/health. But there is still friendship. The material may be gone, but the spiritual is still there. Reverse it and our Chruch window is upsidedown, suggesting that even institutions that would normally help the poor (charities, etc.) are not there. Our poor folk are on their own.

Other thoughts?

FaerieStorm
29-04-2006, 15:04
For the 5/Swords rv, I'd definitely see it as indicating a sneak-attack; something that just wasn't fair. Perhaps the upright can indicate it, but to me I'd see the Rv really pointing to that.

5/Wands Rv might point to raising the stakes. It's no longer a simple competition (a football game, or something), it's a make-it or brake-it kind of situation. You have to give your best to succeed.

Joss
24-01-2007, 01:10
5/cups r: This card to me simbolizes the need to be ready to loss in order to win. It would be like "I have had all the success I ever wanted in love but now that I have everything I can see that what I really wanted (Or needed) has been there for me all this time but I was too pride to see it".. This would be the card of someone standing between two relations and fearful of losing the one that really matters.

white ace
22-10-2007, 18:39
Five cups - SADNESS. Yes, grieve over d 3 empty cups despite there were remaining 2, such an emotional perfectionist who wanted al 5 full cups. D 5 Cups Rv. to me means - stil SADNESS but with d extend tat d person shows more dissatisfaction over 3 spilled cups n gone mad with d remaining 2. He destroy d other 2 as wel. Then, he may find his anger subside even though al had gone now..stil SAD

ofbainbridge
27-10-2007, 06:54
The Fives reversed...

5 of Swords reversed
These are changes and challenges that contront the mind in such a way that makes things harsh and hard to accept...

5 of Wands reversed
Changes and challenge that confront ones strength and determination and sense of self in such a way that irritates and depletes confidence and saps one strength or courage...

5 of Cups reversed
Changes and challenges that drains one emotionally making coping seem difficult and giving rise to regret and depression and melancholy...

5 of Pentacles reversed...
Changes and Challenges in some undertaking or endeavor that create physical struggles, material setbacks...

white ace
29-10-2007, 04:07
The Fives reversed...

5 of Swords reversed
These are changes and challenges that contront the mind in such a way that makes things harsh and hard to accept...

5 of Wands reversed
Changes and challenge that confront ones strength and determination and sense of self in such a way that irritates and depletes confidence and saps one strength or courage...

5 of Cups reversed
Changes and challenges that drains one emotionally making coping seem difficult and giving rise to regret and depression and melancholy...

5 of Pentacles reversed...
Changes and Challenges in some undertaking or endeavor that create physical struggles, material setbacks...

Well define meanings~ ;)

I had learned to see it better now.

Thank you, Ofbainbridge :D

ofbainbridge
30-10-2007, 12:42
Your welcome and I hope it helps...

Seafra
31-10-2007, 16:37
Didn't see these, which I find often, so I'll post them:

Five of Wands Rx - choosing to withdraw from the game, or refusal to play games

Five of Pents Rx - Come in from the cold, finding sanctuary, taking advantage of social service programs

Five of Swords Rx - the victory has been an empty one and the victor is sorry

Five of Cups Rx- return of a loved one

Aladdin
02-11-2007, 12:16
I think these renditions are very lucid. As regards five of swords, i've never found any real difference reversed or not in the spreads cast on all sorts of questions. For me this has always been a difficult if useful card in seeing off a difficult or tricky situation.

white ace
03-11-2007, 15:13
My personal view is - most pips did maintain their origin meaning with only certain context changed/interpret differently.

To me 5 Swords Rv. means losing ideas/communication to a person(shut up quietly) when in the midst of argue or being scold.
:D

Metafizzypop
11-11-2007, 18:33
I think that one meaning for the 5 of Pentacles Rx is spiritual poverty, and I get this impression because the poor couple is outside a church. The card might represent a relationship or marriage that is spiritually destitute or emotionally bankrupt. This could happen even if a couple is well off financially.

white ace
12-11-2007, 02:37
...not really agree with that since the Pentacles relates to - money/physical/health/possession/sex/luck I can't see it fits with spiritual deprivation. 7 Wands or 9 Wands Rv. maybe.

With the RWS deck - 5 coins may well mean deeply low in cash/health/basic needs and may need the aid from public charity/helps from the church. Since church was well doing welfare and it dated back long time ago where churches use to hand out grains/bread/clothes and necessity to the poor.

The 5 coins Rv. may well means - poor/in need of cash/sick/unfortunate but may not need helps from others or others may not help the person in need, in this situation.

Just my 2 cents sharing.
Cheers ;)

ALST123
06-05-2008, 05:21
I totally agree with Metafizzypop. The 5 Pents can be regarding spiritual poverty. The figures are walking away from a Church, so either they have excluded themselves, or they have been excluded. I think if reversed this is perhaps more likely to do with excluding yourself as the figures are not only walking away from the Church but also the querent aswell. Whereas upright the figures are at least coming towards you looking for help. I think they are left out in the cold, and have been denied (or are denying themselves) a traditional way of life, and all the benefits, comfort and certainty that come with that.

I agree that mental and metaphysical issues are usually Wands territory, but I think the point here is that organised religion is more grounded and tangible than that, by the mere fact that it is organised, so perhaps this is Pents territory.

re-pete-a
06-05-2008, 05:57
5 o swords Rv ,revenge with unexpected results.backfire.
________
Big tits chinese (http://www.****tube.com/categories/272/chinese/videos/1)

Sobekneferu
12-05-2008, 20:59
One thing I notice in the reversed 5 of Pentacles, is that if it were spun upside down, the snow would no longer be falling. Potentially that could mean they're past the worst of it, brighter days are ahead, etc.

but, since reversals are usually worse than uprights, it also might indicate that this is no storm that might pass; this is permanent. This can no longer be attributed to "hard times." The two unfortunates are doomed to remain in this position for all the forseeable future.

pasara
19-01-2010, 10:26
I just had a reading with the 5 of P rx and I read it this time as upside down, in which case the figures fall into the warm light of the church window which is ready to receive and help them. Also the snow on the ground turned into a roof over their head. I saw it as a movement toward getting needed help or acceptance, not getting in deeper.

Biba28
15-09-2011, 06:07
5 W rx - "No contest" - you withdraw from the fray. Perhaps in dating this would mean you've found who you want or no others can compete.

starrystarrynight
15-09-2011, 07:05
I once read somewhere (maybe here!) that reversed Fives are generally "better" or "more positive" than upright Fives, and for the most part, that sounds about right to me--not always, of course, but quite often. At the least with any reversed Five, the sadness, negativity and/or abrupt change and upheaval of the upright Five is somehow being blocked, delayed or reversed.

Of course, as with anything tarot, it's hard to put a stamp of approval on a definitive generic "meaning" for any card--upright or reversed--though I do believe that for learning-to-read purposes, it's advantageous and necessary to know and understand the universal go-to "meanings" of all the cards...and we are fortunate as a tarot community to have someone like Thirteen contributing to our guidance. So, thanks, Thirteen, for threads like these! :)

Suzanne A
15-09-2011, 10:03
To me each card has a range of potential meanings, from positive through neutral to negative. I figure out the meaning through context--the question asked, the position of the card, the other cards around it. I don't seek out reversals, but if I get one, I generally favor reading it as some block to the energy of the card (since my reading of the upright card could be positive or negative already). Since fives tend to be about conflict and challenges, I would usually see the blockage as meaning that something is keeping the situation from resolving. Which generally would not be good, as you don't want to be stuck in a stalemate or neverending struggle. Although, this could depend on your position--if you're the weaker party in a conflict, maybe delay or stalemate is the best you can hope for.

As a side note, I've noticed that many interpret the Five of Swords as only having negative implications. Perhaps because I come from a legal background, I can imagine the scene in the RWS 5 of Swords as the outcome of a legal proceeding--and not necessarily a bad one. Maybe the guy with the swords won them rightfully, and he's not gloating, but expressing satisfaction with his success. I do note, that my legal experience leads me to counsel people to avoid legal proceedings if at all possible, because much of the time the cost is more than the benefit and nobody gets what they really want. And this is the most common message that I get from the 5 of Swords: a conflict where even the winner pays a heavy price for the victory.

hermit-IX
16-10-2012, 10:42
I once read somewhere (maybe here!) that reversed Fives are generally "better" or "more positive" than upright Fives, and for the most part, that sounds about right to me--not always, of course, but quite often. At the least with any reversed Five, the sadness, negativity and/or abrupt change and upheaval of the upright Five is somehow being blocked, delayed or reversed.

Of course, as with anything tarot, it's hard to put a stamp of approval on a definitive generic "meaning" for any card--upright or reversed--though I do believe that for learning-to-read purposes, it's advantageous and necessary to know and understand the universal go-to "meanings" of all the cards...and we are fortunate as a tarot community to have someone like Thirteen contributing to our guidance. So, thanks, Thirteen, for threads like these! :)

i agree, i had a 5 of pentacles reversed day card. and it refered to me needing to be more accepting of help, and/or asking for help.

however on the negative i did have a lot of travel complications on my way to a friends house.
the bus scheduals were all mixed up, it was raining, i was late, almost changed my mind about going etc...

but i was able to get help by reaching out by asking for a ride, i'm glad i did, it ended up being a pretty good time.

tarotbear
16-10-2012, 12:16
Since Fives are chaos, I tend to think of the Five upright as chaotic, but I think of the Fives reversed as more positive aspects of the cards. So, for me the reversed Fives are positive and the upright Fives are negative.

Rosebud2012
16-10-2012, 23:06
The 5 of Wands upright I've had for a creative writers group in which I made some useful contacts.

Reversed in addition to what's been said above, is legal action.

hermit-IX
21-10-2012, 05:50
a did a couple of readings for how a guy viewed me.
i kept getting the 5 of wands reversed.
he's my roommoates friend, by my roommate is somewhat of a d!ck to him.
on several occations i have stood up for this guy when my roommate started getting all melodramatic on him.

i'm thinking the 5 of wands instead of competition is kind of like putting an end to it, even playing the mediator role?

i really doubt he views me as competative/aggressive in a negative way, because i'm sure he appreciated my help,
so i'd have to agree..once again....with starryeye..that 5 reversed are quite often a turn for the better....

septimus
29-10-2012, 14:00
I think these renditions are very lucid. As regards five of swords, i've never found any real difference reversed or not in the spreads cast on all sorts of questions. For me this has always been a difficult if useful card in seeing off a difficult or tricky situation.

I have seen the 5 of swords mean, apparently, a victory with a lot of collateral damage, a costly victory.