REVERSALS: The Five's Reversed

Thirteen

Fives are all about loss and learning and change. The card suggests a hard loss that carries with it a lesson and an important change. The idea of the 5's seems to be that loss is important if things are going to push past the status quo to something new, different and/or better. Because of this, the reversed meaning does not, necessarily, turn loss into gain....

5/Swords: This is a card all about losing a fight, in particular a battle of wits or communication. There is a suggestion that the other side might have cheated or used underhanded methods. Reverse this and the card does not really say that the querent will "win" the argument instead. A blocked interpetation seems most apt here, and that interpeation suggests that the argument drags on.

If losing the argument is the energy, then blocking it means that there is no loss...but no win either. Just an on-going battle.

Another possiblity is that the querent does win the argument--but does not feel that they've won. It is a hollow win. And yet another interpetaion (upsidedown), suggests that neither side wins. All the swords are lost, everyone loses.

5/Wands: In this card, the querent is warned that he will lose his individuallity. That he will be strugging to stand out among others equally talented. What's positive about this card is that there is a struggle, a belief that one CAN stand out. Thus, Reversed, this card suggests that the person has no faith in winning such a struggle, and so doesn't even try.

This is the card of the person who walks in for a job interview, sees all these other talented people waiting, and walks out. They say, "What's the use of even trying. I can't possibly compete with them!"

5/Cups: Upright, this is a card about regret for lost love or other good feelings or people. What is always pointed out about his card is that even though the man weeps over the spilled cups, there are two standing that he's not seeing. Not all that is good is gone.

One can well imagine how dark, therefore, is the reversed card. Turn it upsidedown and the liquid in the remaining two cups is lost as well. Our weeping man has lost it all. Some because he spilled it himself, the rest because he didn't notice it and it evaporated. This is the stereotypical senario of the man who weeps over the loss of a beautiful girlfriend, never seeing the plain girl who still loves him and is still there waiting for him. In the reversed card, the plain girl finally gives up and goes off in search of love elsewhere.

5/Pents: The upright card suggests financial loss or a loss of luck/health. But there is still friendship. The material may be gone, but the spiritual is still there. Reverse it and our Chruch window is upsidedown, suggesting that even institutions that would normally help the poor (charities, etc.) are not there. Our poor folk are on their own.

Other thoughts?

FaerieStorm

For the 5/Swords rv, I'd definitely see it as indicating a sneak-attack; something that just wasn't fair. Perhaps the upright can indicate it, but to me I'd see the Rv really pointing to that.

5/Wands Rv might point to raising the stakes. It's no longer a simple competition (a football game, or something), it's a make-it or brake-it kind of situation. You have to give your best to succeed.

Joss

5/cups r: This card to me simbolizes the need to be ready to loss in order to win. It would be like "I have had all the success I ever wanted in love but now that I have everything I can see that what I really wanted (Or needed) has been there for me all this time but I was too pride to see it".. This would be the card of someone standing between two relations and fearful of losing the one that really matters.

white ace

Five cups - SADNESS. Yes, grieve over d 3 empty cups despite there were remaining 2, such an emotional perfectionist who wanted al 5 full cups. D 5 Cups Rv. to me means - stil SADNESS but with d extend tat d person shows more dissatisfaction over 3 spilled cups n gone mad with d remaining 2. He destroy d other 2 as wel. Then, he may find his anger subside even though al had gone now..stil SAD

ofbainbridge

The Fives reversed...

5 of Swords reversed
These are changes and challenges that contront the mind in such a way that makes things harsh and hard to accept...

5 of Wands reversed
Changes and challenge that confront ones strength and determination and sense of self in such a way that irritates and depletes confidence and saps one strength or courage...

5 of Cups reversed
Changes and challenges that drains one emotionally making coping seem difficult and giving rise to regret and depression and melancholy...

5 of Pentacles reversed...
Changes and Challenges in some undertaking or endeavor that create physical struggles, material setbacks...

white ace

ofbainbridge said:
The Fives reversed...

5 of Swords reversed
These are changes and challenges that contront the mind in such a way that makes things harsh and hard to accept...

5 of Wands reversed
Changes and challenge that confront ones strength and determination and sense of self in such a way that irritates and depletes confidence and saps one strength or courage...

5 of Cups reversed
Changes and challenges that drains one emotionally making coping seem difficult and giving rise to regret and depression and melancholy...

5 of Pentacles reversed...
Changes and Challenges in some undertaking or endeavor that create physical struggles, material setbacks...

Well define meanings~ ;)

I had learned to see it better now.

Thank you, Ofbainbridge :D

ofbainbridge

Your welcome and I hope it helps...

Seafra

Didn't see these, which I find often, so I'll post them:

Five of Wands Rx - choosing to withdraw from the game, or refusal to play games

Five of Pents Rx - Come in from the cold, finding sanctuary, taking advantage of social service programs

Five of Swords Rx - the victory has been an empty one and the victor is sorry

Five of Cups Rx- return of a loved one

Aladdin

I think these renditions are very lucid. As regards five of swords, i've never found any real difference reversed or not in the spreads cast on all sorts of questions. For me this has always been a difficult if useful card in seeing off a difficult or tricky situation.

white ace

My personal view is - most pips did maintain their origin meaning with only certain context changed/interpret differently.

To me 5 Swords Rv. means losing ideas/communication to a person(shut up quietly) when in the midst of argue or being scold.
:D