Tarot Goddess

katrananda

Who would you consider to be the goddess of tarot? I'm creating a tarot altar to celebrate 20 years of tarot in my life, and would like to have a goddess centre stage. I'm thinking Hecate, without really knowing why, but any other suggestions taken on board. Thanks.
Katrananda.

Ross G Caldwell

katrananda said:
Who would you consider to be the goddess of tarot? I'm creating a tarot altar to celebrate 20 years of tarot in my life, and would like to have a goddess centre stage. I'm thinking Hecate, without really knowing why, but any other suggestions taken on board. Thanks.
Katrananda.

There are so many goddesses of oracles.

I think tarot deserves her own goddess - maybe we could call her Taroka? Taroké?

If a more traditional goddess is needed, maybe Fortuna. Or the goddess of destiny - Necessitas or Tyche.

I guess if I made an altar to Tarot, I really would make Tarot itself the goddess, and take tarot's name as the name of the goddess.

Fulgour

Male-oriented historians have overlaid everything
with the Sun and put the world on a timetable...
but long ago, and still today, worship centered on
the Moon ~ and in the Tarot she is truly the Soul.

Like with all the cards, the names (titles) are more
referential than actual, and La Papess was clearly
intended to point a finger at the pomposity of the
monotheistic meglomania of L'Empereur & Le Pape.

The Moon is the Heart & Soul of the Tarot not any
church or empire...begin with her and she will lead.

Brock Johnson

There is a goddess oracle that you should check out. It has so many different ones that total close to 50. It also explains where they got the names. You can view them all online too so you don't have to buy.

Brock

Sulis

I would suggest Fortuna.

Sophie

Perhaps Iris, goddess of the rainbow, and a messenger of the Gods?

firecatpickles

Fortuna (ala Ross or Sulis) or La Luna (ala Fulgour) either one gets my vote!

Lady Luck she knows no favorites!

KK

NightWing

Goddess of Tarot

Fortuna would seem to be the most obvious choice for a Goddess of Tarot.

But I admit I am partial to Diana, with her lunar associations, and her "governance of the mysteries of the night".

I can also see how some might wish to call upon Isis, with her roots in that most ancient of (known) civilizations. [There were other cultures prior to 3000 BCE that we know very little about, unfortunately.]

Could the spirit of Tarot take a more tangible form in a new goddess, or an old one we have yet to recognize; perhaps as "Tarona" ?

I have to confess to invoking "Holy Sophia" before every reading, for guidance, illumination, protection, etc.

Apollonia

For me, it's Fortuna.

prudence

Fulgour said:
Male-oriented historians have overlaid everything
with the Sun and put the world on a timetable...
but long ago, and still today, worship centered on
the Moon ~ and in the Tarot she is truly the Soul.

Like with all the cards, the names (titles) are more
referential than actual, and La Papess was clearly
intended to point a finger at the pomposity of the
monotheistic meglomania of L'Empereur & Le Pape.

The Moon is the Heart & Soul of the Tarot not any
church or empire...begin with her and she will lead.

Fulgour, you often express your thoughts poetically, or at least imo your words sound poetic, but this really is so beautifully put, I juat had to say thank you. :)