How about you?

Josipa

Just wondering how you all respond to readings, I mean do you always feel comfortable while doing all the readings? Because I've noticed that I don't always feel the same, sometimes my reading just flows, I seem to see everything and the cards can't stop telling me a story. And sometimes it's like something's blocking me, and it gets harder to read for the person. How about you?

major_minority

All my readings feel different, but I think that may have a lot to do with the fact that I'm not proficient yet, but I'm getting there... I know what you mean, though. every reading has a different energy, so each one will have to feel different.

Heia

I feel like it depends on my relation to the person I'm doing a reading for. Sometimes I feel a little fear of failure, especially if the person is familiar with tarot readings himself. :D

Apollonia

For me, the reading flows most effortlessly when the querent's energy is open to the reading. I love to read for other Tarotists, for mediums and Druids, etc. because there isn't all that "this is a lot of hooey" blockage going on. It's exhausting for me to have to push through the resistance to give a reading to those who aren't open to the experience.

billv

My readings over the past few weeks have just been dismal. Of course, they were accurate - I've had a really rough few weeks - but it was getting to the point where I didn't want to do a reading because I didn't want to be depressed! This weekend I did some readings tho that looked more positive. I was really glad to see that!!

I think the hardest part of Tarot for me is that they are just brutally honest - they tell me what I need to hear, not what I necessarily want to hear. That's both a good and sometimes a frustrating thing. The time I spend with the cards is supposed to be enjoyable, yet sometimes the readings are definitely not. Lately I've tried also not to just do a reading that turns out negatively and put them away. I've tried to continue working with the cards, sorting them or doing a book exercise to remind myself that this is supposed to be fun as well as good self-development!

Bill V

full deck

Josipa said:
. . . I mean do you always feel comfortable while doing all the readings? . . .
You know, for me, reading reminds me of when I'm doing a performance with a different rhythm section where one of the players is not quite as good as me and the bassist (for example). The gig becomes a lesson in how to make good music despite the limitations of the drummer. If I were not flexible and listening, I would keep playing and not change how I'm playing and it would not sound as good. It never gets really comfortable, except for some occasions where favorable circumstances come together and that is not too often.

Each reading is like that, the situation is different. The only thing that is the same is my neutral, almost don't care mind that I keep as a starting point and I react to what is there, keeping an even focus upon the whole thing. I've kept small notes on readings so that I could remember the context for how I was working (mentally) so that over time I've learned more of the "what" and sometimes "why" of when I'm reading. The "why" part (why something worked better) is all hindsight.

Zephyros

I am the Omnipotent Tarot Reader! All my readings are good, and I am always right!

Just kidding. Of course:) Reading is just like anything else that you do in your life. Sometimes it goes well, at other times, no so much. Perfectly natural. You wouldn't ask yourself why sometimes you are concentrated on the book you are reading, and sometimes you feel like watching television instead, would you? You woudn't tell yourself that you have lost the ability to read a book;) So it is with Tarot...

catlin

My readings normally are smooth, but I prefer doing readings for ppl who are open to them and not for the kind of "I-want-to-see-if-she-can-really-do-it"ppl.

Josipa

Thank you all. Yeah, I guess it has to do with a lot of things, me, the others, etc. But I think I'll start listening to that feeling of mine a bit more, because I sometimes exhaust myself trying to do a reading for someone, when it just doesn't feel right.

starrystarrynight

catlin said:
My readings normally are smooth, but I prefer doing readings for ppl who are open to them and not for the kind of "I-want-to-see-if-she-can-really-do-it"ppl.
Agreed. Why is it, I wonder, that people spend hard-earned money on being read, yet seem to spend most of the initial time trying to stump the reader?

Okay, to answer my own question, I can see that even though they presumably believe in the process, else they wouldn't be there getting a reading in the first place...they want to be sure that you, as the reader, is competent. Yes, I get that--if they haven't "used" you before.

However, what of those first-timers who come to you because you were highly recommended by their friends? They still waste a lot of time testing the waters.

I guess I just get frustrated because of so much useful time being spent on these initial games, and then just when the reader gets to meat of what the client really wants or needs to know...TIME'S UP!

</rant over> :neutral: