When is it time to move on?

snowy_owl

I have been reading for a short time (less than a year) with one deck. I only read for myself and am still a novice. I have been getting less than stellar readings and was wondering if it is just "me" (as in "I still have a lot to learn") and should keep studying this deck or should I investigate a new deck?

When is it time to move on? I theoretically know the response, as "only you can know for sure"......but I was wondering what others have experienced?

What I mean by less than stellar readings is that I can not usually find any relation to my daily draws with my own life.

ArcanoMáximo

Which's that deck?
What is Tarot at the bottom?
someone will tell you that if you cannot read with one neither with other, but the truth, at least for me, is that there are decks with the ones that one vibrates more than with other, and that is something that many here have felt (name us "compulsive buyers", lol!).
I believe that you should see other decks until fell that has to see more with you at this time, because the Tarot is more than the sum of all the existing decks and by existing, there is not why to use an only deck to deepen your relation with the Tarot.
Just my 2 cents!

a_shikhs

Hi snowy_owl,
i started of with RWS tarot and read with it for quite sometime. I then got bored of the images and knew that i needed something more challenging and exciting to strengthen my intuition.

Its time to move on and buy a new deck when you get bored of your old one and know that you need a good change. :)

huredriel

How do you feel about your deck ...... like it, hate it, love it? Do you stick to book meanings or go by what the card brings out of your feelings? These things do make a difference I believe. Also how about practising on others? There are several groups running now ...... I've always found it helpful :)

x Huredriel

snowy_owl

More information

I am using the Robin Wood Tarot. I like the deck in many ways but am having a hard time with the court cards when they come up (I have Robin's book & Anthony Lewis's book) but only look at them well after I do the reading to see if there was another approach I could have taken with the cards.

Certain cards seem to work out well and I know instantly what they mean for me. For example, yesterday I drew the 10/Cups. I felt that would mean a cessation of arguments and family harmony........which is exactly what happened that day.

On the other hand, I keep drawing cards that talk of dynamic change (say 8/Wands) or new beginnings (Ace/Wands) or King of Wands while my life just keeps rolling along.

In daily draws, can the time frame be more than a day? The Wands have been appearing in the last week alot.......but that is just an example of my confusion.

I suppose I should just jump in and participate in a readers exchange but I really am quite unsure of myself right now. I am a Queen of Swords type person and this is an uncomfortable feeling for me. I do not like being unsure.

Fatima

I know the kind of questions I am going to ask are really not popular but:

- Have you studied your meanings, the symbology etc. well enough?
- Have you taken the time to build a sound theoretical foundation?
- Are you sure you are not relying too much on intuitive-get-the-message-from-out-of-the-blue techniques instead of what the cards are really saying?
- Are you sure (and I mean no offense, everybody is guilty of it) you are not BS-ing yourself, especially in love relating readings?
- Do you keep your reading in writing to go back to them after time has passed? Sometimes readings do make sense only months after... Once you are able to step back and see the forest and not the trees.
- Do you keep asking the same questions over and over? I have found it the best way to get nonsense answer from cards.

While connecting with one's deck is essential, any deck that is yours (i.e. properly consecrated to you) will answer. Of course, the more you like it the better the answer but it is not true to say that some decks don't answer.
Otherwise it would be the same as saying that a phone won't work because you don't like the design, or that a pair of socks can't keep your feet warm because you don't like their colour.

F.

huredriel

LOL Queen of Swords is my chosen significator too!!! I think everyone has a problem at one stage or another with the courts ...... I still do, although I've not been reading for much longer than you .......

Aces can be seeds ...... potential ..... but to see them grow means that you have to put work into them ....... so benefits may not be seen straight away .... 8 wands could just be that the time seems to go quickly .... or even that you are wanting the beginnings (aces) to move quickly (8 wands) ..... King of Wands is a tricky one for me ..... on a personal basis, can mean anything from an ex, to an aspect of self, to someone I may bump into ..... even down to a lesson I need in being an individual!!! Hence why I asked how it made you feel. If the wands are appearing a lot ..... then I would ask, are you extremely motivated at the moment or needing motivation/energy etc.

I would definitely say, jump into the exchanges, there's the newbie exchange, COS, Intuitive Tarot ....... a great way to expand and discuss ideas that arise during readings.

Hope to see you over there :)

x Huredriel

snowy_owl

Fatima said:
I know the kind of questions I am going to ask are really not popular but:

- Have you studied your meanings, the symbology etc. well enough?
- Have you taken the time to build a sound theoretical foundation?
- Are you sure you are not relying too much on intuitive-get-the-message-from-out-of-the-blue techniques instead of what the cards are really saying?
- Are you sure (and I mean no offense, everybody is guilty of it) you are not BS-ing yourself, especially in love relating readings?
- Do you keep your reading in writing to go back to them after time has passed? Sometimes readings do make sense only months after... Once you are able to step back and see the forest and not the trees.
- Do you keep asking the same questions over and over? I have found it the best way to get nonsense answer from cards.

While connecting with one's deck is essential, any deck that is yours (i.e. properly consecrated to you) will answer. Of course, the more you like it the better the answer but it is not true to say that some decks don't answer.
Otherwise it would be the same as saying that a phone won't work because you don't like the design, or that a pair of socks can't keep your feet warm because you don't like their colour.

F.

I am only doing daily 3 card readings for myself. I am not asking "hard questions" that require any particular action. I am asking "What do I need to know for today?"

I have been studying and have a good feel for the individual cards and their meanings......but only the straightforward meanings, nothing esoteric or insghtful (at least not insightful to me).

I don't think I am BS-ing myself with regard to love relationships. I have been married for a long time and it is fairly happy & successful marriage.

I do keep a journal with all my readings, my study notes and ideas. I do go back and review my readings. In fact, it is the recent review of my readings that have me mumbling to myself that I don't know what on earth I am talking about.

Apollonia

With a daily spread, I find that the card meanings are usually far less dramatic than for readings done less often. In my daily readings, the Ace of Wands can just mean that I feel especially energetic and can get a lot done, Eight of Wands may signify several phone calls or a lot of time emailing, etc. The important thing is to decide after the day is done what the cards mean for you, and write that in your journal or right in the book you are using.

I have found Anthony Louis's book to be excellent overall for meanings, and I still use it frequently, but I just couldn't read as well with the Robin Wood deck as with others, and I ended up giving it away. I have some decks I only use for certain types of readings, like for me the New Palladini is absolutely gorgeous, but the readings I get from it are extremely concise one-word answers without detail, whereas with the Universal Waite I could go on and on for paragraphs while looking at just one card. And some decks I have tried say nothing to me at all.

Since your profile indicates that you have quite a few decks, how about doing parallel daily readings for a while with another deck you are considering using, and see how the two decks agree or contradict each other? Or you could have a deck for Mondays, a different one for Tuesdays, etc. Have some fun with it, and see what ones work the best for you.

Sulis

snowy_owl said:
I suppose I should just jump in and participate in a readers exchange but I really am quite unsure of myself right now.

Hi Snowy Owl,

I would urge you to be courageous and join one of the newbie or intuitive reading circles.
A couple of years ago I felt just like you do - the only readings I was doing were for myself and for fictional characters (good pracitce if you feel you need some).
I was absolutely terrified of reading for anyone else (especially here on ATF :)) but I decided to take the plunge and joined a reading circle - it was wonderful... Such a confidence booster.. and I haven't looked back since.

Oh and as far as trying another deck - why not just choose a deck from your collection and give it a go. The Robin Wood deck is based on the RWS so you should be ok with any other RWS based decks you have.
You may find that a change is just what you need.

That 8 of Wands - I wouldn't necessarily read that as change, more fast movement.
I relate the 8s to Justice and think of them as a time to put things right after the upheaval of the 7s. Decisions need to be made, things need to be sorted out.
The 8 of Wands to me says that things are starting to come together, things are still up in the air but you're getting there, the goal is in sight.

Go on, join one of the reading circles - everyone's very friendly and most are in the same boat as you - you won't regret it - I didn't :)