Question on reading

aquanesha

Is it better to start off with 1-card readings and then progress or to start with spreads?

This is of course, after you've gotten key words for the cards. :)

Thanks.

a_shikhs

I feel that tarot is a step by step procedure. After you've learned the keywords of the cards, you can start off by doing one card readings for yourself to see how the cards connect to you. Once you are familair with that, you can progress to 3 card spreads and then larger spreads later on.

firecatpickles

The jury is still out of this. Yes, you should be familiar with the meanings of the cards. Yes, tarot is a like-long learning process.

But personally I disagree with the "start small" theory. Analogy: A pianist doesn't learn music by memorizing the names for each note. Neither do they learn by playing one note at a time, but a bunch of notes interplaying with one another; in other words, a pianist learns music by playing the music, not memorizing music theory. I feel that memorizing key words, indepth study into symbology is well and fine, but why not do this as you go along? Why limit oneself to one or two or three note pieces of music?

I learned both music and tarot similarly, slowly and with lots of music.

Even if you are slave to a book to decipher a Celtic Cross that seemingly has "too many" cards, and there are intricate meanings in the associations with the cards therein, you still gain experience reading large spreads.

My first spread was the Celtic Cross. Sure, I struggled, but this was part of the learning process. It wasn't as if I were reading professionally for another person, it was all in fun and in practice.

I definitely would not attempt large spreads reading for someone else. I feel this is the point at which you should stick with one or two or three cards. But reading for others is also crucial practice.

Everybody has their own personal methodologies, but I am definitely in the minority on this one --not saying anyone is "right" of "wrong," just giving my two cents' worth.

KK

Fatima

I beleive in both.

I find the daily 1 card the best way to:
1. Learn meanings of individual cards
2. See how meanings in cards actually translate in actual life

But people should also do bigger spreads, even the full blown ones (such as the 36 cards lenormand) because:
1. You have to start learning at some point so why not right away, you get more experience
2. You get the feel, you develop the skill for bigger readings, i.e. seeing the forest not the trees type of skill.
On a question basis or weekly is good for Celtic-cross sizes. Full blown once a year or once a month.

F.

Aoife

My advice:
Start by ditching this 'keyword' business. Keywords restrict.
For the minors think instead of how the suit affects the number, or how the suit affects the role in the case of the courts.
What are the best aspects of the card.... the worst characteristics?
Imagine the card as a faceted diamond..... what shines out... what lies in the depths?
In other words, explore the cards.... and your thoughts and feelings about them. That way you'll arrive at your own unique understanding.

Then, take two cards.
Those two cards give you the two concepts embodied in each
and
that which lies between the two cards.... how the two cards interact and affect each other.

Sulis

Aoife said:
My advice:
Start by ditching this 'keyword' business. Keywords restrict.
For the minors think instead of how the suit affects the number, or how the suit affects the role in the case of the courts.
What are the best aspects of the card.... the worst characteristics?
Imagine the card as a faceted diamond..... what shines out... what lies in the depths?
In other words, explore the cards.... and your thoughts and feelings about them. That way you'll arrive at your own unique understanding.

Then, take two cards.
Those two cards give you the two concepts embodied in each
and
that which lies between the two cards.... how the two cards interact and affect each other.

I'll second every word of advice from Aoife.

Keywords do restrict.

When I started with tarot I went out and bought Joan Bunning's Learn Tarot book and began to learn the keywords - how I wish I hadn't bothered - it took me ages to get past those keywords.

Keywords are ok but in my opinion you need to know HOW someone has got to a certain keyword, what method have they used to work out their key words?
Anyone can learn a load of keywords and parrot them off, not everyone can read what the message of a tarot card really is.

Now I use number and suit as well as the image on the card. I also link each Minor card to it's numerically corresponding Major card.
I have a system so that I can work out exactly what a card is trying to tell me - much better than random keywords.

As for one card versus spreads - I think it's probably best to do both....

The best way to learn to read (in my opinion) is to do it but I would suggest that you keep the spreads small so as not to get confused.
You can answer any question with just 3 cards.
I'd stick to 3 - 5 card spreads if I were you (I very rarely use more than 7).

Niti

Well different learning methods suit different people, but personally, I started with the Celtic Cross and it was great for helping me learn card meanings.

For one thing, I don't think I would have been nearly as interested in Tarot if I spend the first few months doing one-card spreads. By starting with something like the Celtic Cross, I found myself always intruiged by the many aspects of the situation the cards covered, plus, I was able to trust my cards more as I saw how accurate they were in the "past" section.

True, the celtic cross is more complicated than a single card alone, but by puzzling over the cards and trying to put all the pieces together for a whole answer, I was able to learn the meanings of the cards much more quickly. Many people relate reading tarot to reading a story, and really, you are more likely to remember certain aspects and images in a story than the meaning of a single word you pull from the dictionary.

If you find yourself overwhelmed by the celtic cross, I would reccomend a 3-card spread. I often find that 3 cards are good for a solid answer, and you do have to put a bit of time and thought into putting the three together. Also, it could help to start a tarot journal. I find that I learn things fast when I write them down several times, and it can be interesting to review your results in the future.