Do you name your decks?

Mitchichen

Just out of random curiosity, has anyone hear given a name or nickname to their decks?

anyways, i'll start it off with mine:

Haindl - I named my first deck "Pandora." It was sort of a multiple meaning type thing...since when pandora opened her box, the only thing left inside was hope...and my deck lives in her box. So if she's in her box - Pandora's box - Then she's hope XD

Thoth - My thoth recieved the nickname "Jack" when i discovered that it seems to liek to play tricks...like if you ask a question and ask for a card taht neither court nor trump...he'll give you every single court card, then a trump, it's hillarous, but frustrating XD

m other decks havent been read with much, and still ahve not been given nicknames. I choose my nicknames based on feelings i get off my cards. :3

the_surfacer

I haven't named any of mine yet, although I do tend to name things. It's only a matter of time, I suppose.

I do, however, generally ask my decks which gender pronoun they'd prefer I use to refer to them.

catlin

Breaking in my New Orleans Voodoo tarot requires naming it, but I have to admit I want a true African name with a meaning and I still have not found a good one.

Sophie

catlin said:
Breaking in my New Orleans Voodoo tarot requires naming it, but I have to admit I want a true African name with a meaning and I still have not found a good one.
I named my New Orleans Voodoo - and gave it dinner too ;). Since there is also Santería in the deck, I chose a Spanish name that has meaning to me. But if I should come across the same name in a West African language, it will also be its name :).

Mitchichen

catlin said:

dunno if what you meant was something with a good meaning in terms of etymology or something special to you, but if it's the first, you could try www.behindthename.com

they even have different sections of names based on origin

September Pixie

Nope never have. :) It's never even occured to me to be honest :)

rachelcat

I've never named my decks either, but I always seem to thing and speak of them with "My" at the beginning. So my decks are named "My Thoth Mini," "My Visconti," "My Vachetta," "My Crystal," etc. And then there's "Nigel," MY Nigel Jackson/Medieval Enchantment!

(So do you think I'm a bit possessive?)

Mitchichen

rachelcat said:
I've never named my decks either, but I always seem to thing and speak of them with "My" at the beginning. So my decks are named "My Thoth Mini," "My Visconti," "My Vachetta," "My Crystal," etc. And then there's "Nigel," MY Nigel Jackson/Medieval Enchantment!

(So do you think I'm a bit possessive?)

nope, sounds more to me like you care enough about them to label them as yours and yours alone, making them special :3

Brock Johnson

No. I think of them as tools, not as people. They get our energy from us. When we say, "oh, this deck has personality", the deck is really showing us a part of us that comes out when we use the deck.

Brock

rachelcat

Mitchichen said:
nope, sounds more to me like you care enough about them to label them as yours and yours alone, making them special :3

Hey, thanks for the positive spin!

I do care about them, and I put some effort into MY collection to keep it reflecting my interests and tastes.

I love how tarot is personal and universal at the same time!