Crystal Ball Qualities?

westsidegirlygirl

I have been looking at crystal balls online and am curious if I am guessing the descriptions right.

"Rainbow inclusions" probably mean areas in the quartz that act as prisms?

"Inclusions" (without the word rainbow) - is this the same thing?

"Veiling" - areas in the quartz that are darker or more solid?

"Phantoms" - areas inside that look like mist?

"$300.00" = "forget the idea of buying a crystal ball?" (lol)

I'm looking at the huge selection at phoenixorion and thinking I just might pick something out...

Acadia

I can try to help you out, though keep in mind, I've seen people mix/match terms, and use them to things it doesn't really apply to. For example, I've seen phantom used to describe inclusions, veiling to describe phantoms, etc etc etc.

No they aren't right, but that's what they do. :D

So here are the names and their meanings as I know them (along with links to pictures from one of my favorite sellers to show you an example):

Rainbow inclusions- There are inclusions in the crystals that create a rainbow, or there are little prisims in the crystal that create a rainbow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...sPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

Looking at the large picture on the bottom of the page, you can see some rainbow inclusions very easily.

Inclusions- Regular inclusions are generally just the same as rainbow inclusions, only they may or may not be rainbow.

Here is an example (scroll to the bottom big picture):

http://cgi.ebay.com/Outstanding-Pol...6621949305QQcategoryZ3226QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Note that INclusion and OCClusion are two different things, usually.

Veiling- This is a term many use with no idea of what it means. Generally, and I mean very generally, it is an area generally in more or less of a line, where a misty-looking occlusions or inclusions divide one side of a crystal from another. However, one man's veil is another man's inclusion/occlusion.

Phantoms - A phantom is cool. A phantom is when you have a crystal that looks like another crystal is growing inside of it. It's like a ghosty-light looking crystal inside the big crystal. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brilliant-Polis...oryZ3226QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

"$300.00" - INSANELY overpriced. :)

My Crystal Ball is good sized, and I paid $60ish for it (I think, at most $75), and at the time I thought that was a lot. :)

westsidegirlygirl

Thank you so much! The crystal ball I was looking at was about 5 inches in diameter, over 4 pounds, so I figured that was on the large size for balls. They have 2 inch crystal balls for much less.

I'll keep looking and comparison shopping. In the meantime, your descriptions help a great deal.

I'm going to keep an eye on this seller of yours, as well.

How large is the one you mentioned that you got for a decent price?

Ruby7

I wouldn't buy any crystal without actually seeing it in person. Sellers use descriptive terms incorrectly (sometimes on purpose to be deceptive and sometimes out of ignorance) and a picture can be enhanced or just not showing colour accurately. You need to see a crystal, hold it in your hand, move it around and see how the light hits it etc.

All the best,
Ruby7

Acadia

westsidegirlygirl said:
Thank you so much! The crystal ball I was looking at was about 5 inches in diameter, over 4 pounds, so I figured that was on the large size for balls. They have 2 inch crystal balls for much less.

I'll keep looking and comparison shopping. In the meantime, your descriptions help a great deal.

I'm going to keep an eye on this seller of yours, as well.

How large is the one you mentioned that you got for a decent price?

Oh, I got mine a few years ago (June 14th, 2004). It weighs 11.1 oz, and 8 inches all the way around. It's full of inclusions, rainbow inclusions, etc. I can't remember how much I paid (strangely, I documented everything about it, except the cost, I'm such a goofball. :D). My mother thinks it was $50-60, but I thought it was $65-$75, but she insists it was between $50-$60 (I'll trust her since she's the one who bought it for me) and hers was $65-$70. Hers was more expensive, despite the fact that it was considerably smaller (hers is about 6 inches around) because it is a Smokey Rutilated Quartz (really light smoke to it, just beautiful).

Truthfully, it seemed like a lot at the time, and the rational part of me still thinks so, but it really wase an awesome spiritual/magical/metaphysical/crystal investment. The store we happened to buy from was just expensive, period. But my mother and I were so drawn to the Crystals, we just weighed the extra cost versus our connection to them, and decided that our special connection to them was worth the price difference. :D

Generally, I see them in the size I got from between $30-$80, depending on clarity, etc. I've noticed the clearer it is, the more it tends to cost, but that could just be my observations. I like mine with it's cracks, inclusions, and flaws. I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

I would usually agree that buying crystals online is a dicey business, but I have some good friends I've met over the years and I've come to trust what they sell. And you can always tell a rotten seller from a good one. The woman I linked to (TopazSpirits) is a great seller. There have been a couple of times I've bought and just not "felt" anything from the stone. She'll take it back and refund everything but the shipping, no questions asked (she says 7 days, but I find that she's really great and will take it back even after that). There is another seller, LexieWolf, who has the same promise.

Sorting out the good ones from the bad ones takes some seeking (stones and sellers), but when you find them, you stick with them. :D LOL

tarotbear

Remember, no 'natural' crystal ball over 3-4 inches is going to be 'crystal clear'; that is the work of Hollywood. Natural stone had natural flaws .. which in no way detract from their beauty. One on my crystal balls was cut from where two large crystals grew together, so the ball looks cut in half! It is about 3 inches across and cost me all of $40 17 years ago. It is full of rainbows and inclusions and is so cool! IMPOSSIBLE to scry with, but cool just the same.

westsidegirlygirl

tarotbear said:
It is full of rainbows and inclusions and is so cool! IMPOSSIBLE to scry with, but cool just the same.

I would have thought that the inclusions would help with the scrying - but I don't have that much experience with either crystal balls or scrying.

catlin

@ westsidegirlygirl: most of the crystall balls sold nowadays are highly overrated! Maybe you want to start with a simple clear glass ball to start with before spending way more on a good crystal ball and then you find out that scrying in a crystal ball is not your cup of tea.

I don't buy crystals online because I want to see the stones, I want to feel them. Same goes for a crystal ball (at least for me).

sharpchick

catlin said:
@ westsidegirlygirl: most of the crystall balls sold nowadays are highly overrated! Maybe you want to start with a simple clear glass ball to start with before spending way more on a good crystal ball and then you find out that scrying in a crystal ball is not your cup of tea.

I don't buy crystals online because I want to see the stones, I want to feel them. Same goes for a crystal ball (at least for me).

The only crystal sphere I've had any luck with scrying with is my black obsidian sphere. Seems my scrying ability is limited unless I'm looking into darkness. I've had the best luck with scrying in the surface of the water of my pond on a moonlit night.

catlin

sharpchick said:
The only crystal sphere I've had any luck with scrying with is my black obsidian sphere. Seems my scrying ability is limited unless I'm looking into darkness. I've had the best luck with scrying in the surface of the water of my pond on a moonlit night.

A black obsidian shpere is still my dream, but prices here are a nightmare. So far, my other spheres and a pool of black ink have to do.