Desperate for relief

PhoenixLuz

Hello all,

I suffer from incredible sinus headaches, migraines actually. The pain was so bad today that I was actually in tears. Can anyone suggest a crystal or an herb to relieve some of this pain? I would be forever grateful.

Thanks so much.

Princess_Lucy

Hey PhoenixLuz

I don't know an awful lot about crystals, but some good herbs to try are:

Feverfew
Passionflower
Peppermint
Whitewillow bark

Around 2 tsps total (any combination) in a generous cup of boiling water will make a tea to relieve headaches.

Love

Lucy

SilverCloudedWolf

I haven't tried this with migraines as I don't get them often, but when I have headaches I find gently rubbing a smooth piece of turquoise over the sight of pain helps.

Silver

catlin

Hi PoenixLuz,
I am not sure if that also works on migraines but for normal headaches I usually place a Blue Lace Chacedon on my forehead and on the temples.

In case you are allergic to salicylic acid (same stuff which is in Aspirine), don't use willow bark tea.

Netzach

Migraine can be a pig. But I've known people get rid of them for good through seeing either a medical hypnotherapist or an acupuncturist.

geministar

Like Princess_Lucy, I dont know which crystals to use but I do know a couple of herbs which may help: Goldenseal clears the mucus membranes and also I think marshmallow may be another one. If you are getting it so bad that it drives you to tears I would recommend seeing a naturopath/homeopath.

midnightmerry

Sugilite! According to the Crystal Bible:

"An exceptionally good pain reliever, the manganese in Sugilite clears headaches and discomfort at all levels..."

I hope this helps; migraines are really horrible. I've only had one in my life; it lasted 3 days and landed me in the emergency room for a shot of demerol. Ugh.

LadyMedusa

Try inhalation to shrink the swelling in your sinuses.

Bath salts with combinations of camphor, eucalyptus, menthol, or any of the mints, will help. Run a comfortably warm bath and get in and soak. You're not aiming for steam like when you try to break a cold, as the heat can increase the swelling in the sinus cavities. The vapors from the mix are what you're after. Wet a cloth in the bath mix and lighty wrung it out. Put it over your face and breathe thru it. Use both mouth and nose breathing, close off one nostril, anyway you can get the vapors in. Refresh the cloth as the vapors fade.

I sometimes carry a small amount of the dry mixture with me in a baggie or jar and sneak a few deep sniffs when I feel the pressure starting to build during the day.

LadyMedusa

Sophie

A simple sea salt water nose wash - you have to learn the trick (not that hard), and you use it with a large syringe: inject the salt water up one nostril and put your head back and sideways until the salt water comes out of the other nostril. Do that every morning for 1-2 goes per nostril. It's possible to do without the syringe, with something like a sauce pourer, but it's a bit messier.

Camphor is good, but not while you have the headache - it can actually worsen it.

For the headache/migraine, I have found that hematite (large tumbled or palmstone), applied to the place where the pain is most acute, for 20-30 minutes, is most helpful.

You have my sympathy. I suffered from much the same throughout my twenties.

Nevada

midnightmerry said:
Sugilite! According to the Crystal Bible:

"An exceptionally good pain reliever, the manganese in Sugilite clears headaches and discomfort at all levels..."
Thank you for that suggestion, midnightmerry. I have a beautiful piece of sugilite my husband gave me. I'm going to try that. I have a piece of lepidolite that I also find soothing. Hey, maybe it's a purple thing. ;)

PhoenixLuz, I feel for you, since I've had migraines nearly all my life, and I'm nearly 50 now. Mine also affect my sinuses. Sometimes they also make me quite moody or depressed. Mine have varied over time in frequency and between severe and mild. A few weeks ago I had a rare four-day bout, stayed in bed most of the time. It started suddenly after a day spent shopping. That severity is rare for me these days, thank goodness.

Mine seem to be triggered by weather pattern changes (barometric pressure, humid to dry, dry to humid). Summer is the worst, for me. I've never fared well in hot weather. Certain foods and beverages trigger them. I also tend to get more migraines when I've been under certain kinds of stress. Usually they're worse after a stressful event, once I begin to relax after the crisis is over. Also strong odors, flickering lights, noise, and garish colors bother me, and I'm not sure sometimes if they're the cause. I also find I get migraines more frequently when I'm trying too hard to please others, feeling unfocused or pulled out of my center.

What's worked for me?

Sinuses: I've found the saline nose wash routine helpful, but what I do is mix a little salt with warm (body temp, not hot) water, a very mild solution, and just hold it cupped in my hand and sniff a few times, first one side then the other. As Helvetica says, this is messy, you have to hold your face over the sink. I also take goldenseal in capsules, when my sinuses bother me a lot, and keep that saline nasal spray around, though it's not as effective as the wash.

Food: I try to be aware of what I eat and in what combinations, and if I wind up with a migraine within the following period. For a while I kept a diary of everything I ate or drank, the weather, and so forth, and tracked when I got migraines. This can make you feel a bit like a hypochondriac, but if you learn something useful, why not?

My attitude: I sometimes wonder if migraines are all about adaptability and balance. Sometimes I get too set in a mode of thought, or I feel pushed around emotionally. If I stay focused on my own purpose, centered and somewhat flexible, and not overly sensitive, things go better. If I let myself get angry, or if I let someone wound me emotionally, or control me, pull me off course, that tends to upset my balance. Learning to let things slide off my back helps. That's an ongoing learning process. I'm not really sure if this helps reduce migraines, but it helps me deal with life in general and migraines in particular.

Sleep: I need regular sleep, but I tend toward insomnia. Caffeine is a wonderful quick remedy for migraines (it's in nearly every over-the-counter and prescription remedy), and I like my coffee and tea, as well as chocolate, but if I have caffeine late in the day I don't get enough sleep. So I'm careful never to take those foods, beverages or remedies with caffeine after a certain hour, or (the remedies) for too many days in a row. Otherwise I can get into a vicious cycle.

I hope some of this helps in some way.

Nevada