Which Wiccan...

NightWing

...Cards by Lo Scarabeo are people here into? There appear to me to be two distinct decks. One is sold in a green box entitled "Wiccan Cards" and subtitled "The Dance of Life". The cards have a light green back design.

The other, with very different artwork as well as packaging, comes in a kit entitled "Wiccan Divination Kit", with black backs featuring a large yellow pentacle.

I've seen both online, and wondered what the strengths and weaknesses were of each. I've also wondered why LS published two oracle decks with the same theme. Or am I missing something here? Please enlighten me if you have further information on these decks. Thanks.

catlin

NightWing said:
...Cards by Lo Scarabeo are people here into? There appear to me to be two distinct decks. One is sold in a green box entitled "Wiccan Cards" and subtitled "The Dance of Life". The cards have a light green back design.

Hi Nightwing,
This one is the pack Chatriya and me have created. Only a card deck with a LWB and that is the one most ATnetties are talking about.

WooMonkey

I recently got both decks. The Wiccan Cards have 33 cards, and the Divination Kit has 45. There are a number of similar card topics--elements, sabbats, god & goddess.

The Divination Kit also comes with a 158 page book, that includes card meanings, but devotes a lot more space to rituals that can be done with the cards. The book has been translated into English (from Italian I think), and feels a bit choppy at times. There are frequent reminders to "remember" and "not forget" various things, and to follow certain rules. For example, from Card #11 (The Lighter):
"It is important that when lighting (candles, incense, and burning notes) you use a lighter and never matches." "Let's also remember that, as with all magic tools, you should always pay with exact change and never bargain over the price. Even if the lighter you choose is particularly valuable...you mustn't forget you can use it only and exclusively for your Wicca rituals!"

I am not an expert on Wicca, so I can't attest to the accuracy of either book or LWB. While they have the same themes, the art and feel of the cards are very different. If you got both of them, you wouldn't feel that one was a repeat of the other.

I'd say that the Wiccan Cards have the better artwork. The lambs on the Imbolc card alone, are worth the purchase price!

:) Woo!

redflash

I have the Wicca Divination kit & unfortunately it's not for me. I am awaiting the Wiccan cards in the mail from a trade with catlin. I'm so excited, the scans I have seen online are lovely. I will be pouncing on the postman tomorrow to see if he has them for me ! I wonder if many people on here use the Wicca Divination kit ? I knew as soon as I opened the cards that I wouldn't take to it, & I was right, I didn't.

Lillie

"It is important that when lighting (candles, incense, and burning notes) you use a lighter and never matches." "Let's also remember that, as with all magic tools, you should always pay with exact change and never bargain over the price. Even if the lighter you choose is particularly valuable...you mustn't forget you can use it only and exclusively for your Wicca rituals!"

Yeah, right, I almost died laughing.

Cheers. I'll avoid those.

redflash

Lillie said:
Yeah, right, I almost died laughing.

Cheers. I'll avoid those.

Wish I had avoided them ! I have tried to trade them on here 2 or 3 times & I have put them on ebay 3 times, not a sniff of interest. I'm stuck with them I think !

MareSaturni

redflash said:
I have the Wicca Divination kit & unfortunately it's not for me. I am awaiting the Wiccan cards in the mail from a trade with catlin. I'm so excited, the scans I have seen online are lovely. I will be pouncing on the postman tomorrow to see if he has them for me ! I wonder if many people on here use the Wicca Divination kit ? I knew as soon as I opened the cards that I wouldn't take to it, & I was right, I didn't.

How interesting...who are the authors of the Wicca Divination Kit? Just out of curiosity.

BTW, I have the Wiccan Cards and it is, indeed, a lovely deck i definitely don't regret having in my collection. I must say i still do not know how to work properly with them, specially because the cards are divided in 'groups' and i don't know how they work together in a reading. Besides, the LWB, as all LWBs, isn't very complete. But the deck is definitely worth getting!

Go for it without fear!

~Yuko

punchinella

How lovely to discover that the spontaneous purchase I made tonight at Borders, and flipped through excitedly in the car before driving away, pleased as punch with, was actually created by an AT member! It is a beautiful deck. (The green-backs one, of course :) )

redflash

miss_yuko, it was created by Fedora Feltrin, Maria Caratti, and Peter O'Neill.

I have Maria Carattis latest deck, the Universal Goddess Tarot, & it's lovely, I'm using it every day. But lots of people have found the Wicca Divination Kit to be great, it's just not my cup of tea. Each to their own I suppose !

Sophie

I don't know the divination kit, so I can't comment. But I've had the Wiccan Cards for a month now, and I love working with them. They do need some more research if you are not familiar with Wicca, but that's not a difficult task. The LWB is a good spring-board. It's also blessedly non-directive, allowing also for more intuitive readings.

I just love those cards :)