Invoking

clbzkl

I suppose this is the proper area to post a subject such as this, forgive me if this isnt. I am in dire need to find a higher power that governs over the tarot( God/dess, Angels, Spirit) any such thing would help!

TheOld

that's your choice but there is a couple of great choice
1- you can use the cards to contact you own Divine Higher Self

2- You can can invoke Pythia, the Divinities of the divination/fortune telling

3- you can invoke Symbolon, The divinities of the Remembrance

or any other divinities can be use as you wish :)

have fun
Omeada

April

I just did a quick search and found these dieties of divination (I think you'll be hard pressed to find anything specifically Tarot).

Tages (Etruscan)
Olomila (Benin/African)
Egungun-oya (Yoruba/African)

I would also say maybe Odin (Norse), since he invented/discovered the runes.

Something new I learned today :): Apollo gave the gift of divination to Calchas.

I think you could also invoke deities based on intention.

Peace,
April

ZenMusic

IMHO, Best choice is HGA (holy guardian angel) which is really your higher Self.. and very much the spiritual point of Tarot.. the wisdom comes from within you.. not from the cards themselves

ALSO.. (in addition)

The Egyptian god .. Thoth ....>>> Egyptian moon god. Over time, he developed as a god of wisdom, and came to be associated with magic, music, medicine, astronomy, geometry, surveying, drawing and writing.

this is a better choice than Fortuna .. tarot is not a game of change, but a reading of energies of life.....

getting to know about Thoth will deepen your connection with Tarot, and deepening your connection with Tarot it become part of your spiritual path , one point (one stage) of which is communication with your HGA..

Tarot can be a profound spiritual path...

greycats

Clear vision

One might consider the Roman Sibyl, also, though this was a prophetess, not a goddess. The person who held this office knew how to determine whether a vision was true or false. One might apply to the ancient Sibyls for help in recognizing the truth in the Tarot.

Abrac

Hey clbzkl

You might try invoking a Spirit that corresponds to the subject of your reading. This works pretty well for me.

-fof

NightWing

Invocation

On another recent thread here on AT, a number of people have been rapidly filling out the mythology of Taroke', a sort of goddess figure who personifies the underlying spirit of tarot,...if I have it right. They have a lot of ideas already for shrines, special days, and so on. So that is one more possibility.

My own personal invocation before every tarot reading is addressed to Hagia Sophia (Holy Wisdom), sometimes described as the feminine persona within God; this is for me and my illumination, and not for the cards themselves, which are after all just lovely printed images on cardboard. The invocation often takes the form of a sort of litany, such as below.

Holy Wisdom, enlighten me.
Holy Wisdom, guide me.
Holy Wisdom, surround me.
Holy Wisdom, infuse me.
Holy Wisdom, protect me.
Holy Wisdom, teach me.
Holy Wisdom, illumine me.
Holy Wisdom, bless me.
Holy Wisdom, quieten me.
Holy Wisdom, speak to me.
etc. with various additions as seem appropriate.

I find it very useful.

What is important is that a person explore approaches that arise from and make sense within the context of their own particular spirituality and worldview.

Sophie

The Goddess Taroké, of course! We have just celebrated her Day. She brings together all wisdom, all fortune and all compassion and brings them to the reader who invokes Her.

But I do like to invoke my namesake too ;) (Sophia)

tarotbear

clbzkl said:
I am in dire need to find a higher power that governs over the tarot( God/dess, Angels, Spirit) any such thing would help!

There isn't a higher power that governs tarot, I hate to disappoint you. That would be too easy if such a thing could exist ~ and it would immediately destroy the practice of tarot as we know it because being under the influence of a 'higher power' would make it a religious object and practice and that is not what Tarot is all about.

If, in your personal practice of Tarot, you would like to call on your favorite deity to help, guide, or protect you ... you are free to do so; however, they would not be governing your cards (whatever exactly that means.)