How Did You Learn To Read?

MacMorrighan

Simple question, n'est pas? What meathods did you use in learning to accurately read the Tarot for others? And, what was your percentage of success as a result?

I was considering starting a Tarot Journal as a meathod of learning the Tarot and being able to use it as a Divinatory Tool (and ditching the book that comes with the deck). For example, I will draw a Card each day, note it down in my journal, and then that evening write about what happened that day. Then, after a while, I can go back to see what-- if any-- themes pop up and are worth noting. I feel that such a meathod may refine itself over time.

Does anyone have any pros or cons re: such a meathod as described above?

Why do you believe that your meathod is so successful for you? (Yes, I'm WAY too left-brained, some times!)

FireRaven

Learning to Read

Hey MacMorrighan,

Using a Tarot Journal as you described is one of the most time honored ways of getting to know the cards -- just make sure you leave space (or can add pages) for your impressions over time, because they will certainly grow as you work with the cards!

I now have journals for my primary reading and meditation decks, plus one that's just for reversals -- and I'm still learning. Honestly though, I didn't start out that way. My first deck, which will always have a special place in my heart, was the Hanson-Roberts. I literally took a quick glance at all of the cards, mixed 'em up on the floor of my college dorm room, and started drawing. I interpreted on the fly, "reading" all of the cards upright based on the images/colors/textures on the cards.

Nothing like jumping right in, you know? I kept loose records of those early readings, and as I studied the cards, I realized I was pretty close to the "official" meanings. My head wasn't clouded with other people's interpretations, which helped a lot during my early experiences with the cards. I was less afraid of "getting it wrong," and more confident in my intuition. Sometimes I can be too left-brained, focused more on analysis instead of simply letting the cards tell a story.

Enjoy the process, jump in, and just play with your cards! You'd be surprised at how accurate you are from the start!

Blue skies and blessings,
-FireRaven/K

SunChariot

I started learning through a free online course. They sent a new lesson each week, homework...Honestly, it was a wrong path for me. And I am sure most newbies hit upon a few wrong paths until they find their right one.

My first deck was the Haindl. It was not the "traditional" kind of learning deck, but I would not have changed a thing about that. If I could start again I very much start again with that deck.

The thing is that the online lessons did not correspond very well with the deck I had. They were sending me the meanings of the cards to learn. And I noticed very very quickly that the standard meanings of the card they were giving me were not at all what the cards in my deck meant...the images were not comparable either, especially in the Minors.

I think for me this gave me a healthy skepticism of preset meanings and keywords. Now, for others memorizing meanings ....may be their path, but it was not mine and I beleive that the universe always sends each of us what we need when we need it to find our own right paths.

And my Haindl also mentions a lot about chakras....all kinds if things I never had heard of, so that sent me off to study up on them....all were useful to me. And It has I-Ching symbols, Hebrew letters and Runes too. I guess that was were I started to get interested in the I-Ching and Runes as well.

Also my Haindl is a very environmentally conscious deck. Much of it's philosophy embodies caring for the environment and helping fix it. I think that taught me a lot of how I feel now about the connection to the universe and our planet that I have always seen Tarot as bringing into my life. I think maybe that was one of the things that helped cement my connection between the two in my mind as I was staring to learn to read.

Anyway, since the meanings in that course and in my deck differed so, I started reading about how important book meanings where, when it was alright to discard them...And now, honestly I hardly use thebook meanings at all, because all this lead me to learn how to read intuitively and not follow the books.

Ok, I guess you can tell that I love my first deck. And I honestly believe the best learning deck is the one you feel drawn to...doesn't have to be what someone else suggests, just follow your heart. Of course I love all my decks now, all 24.

And that was the best thing for me. Yes, it works very well for me. And I adore doing it. It's magical.

Oh and yes, my journals have been invaluable. You wouldnt beleive how much I have written and copied and pasted from web sites. All of it's been useful and I still read it over often. It taught me so much about Tarot and about myself as well. My readings I have kept there and read over have changed my life, very literally and in deep and wonderful ways.

Personally, I like you idea. I wouldn't throw a book out. It could happen you want to look something up years from now. But basically I find that books on technique and how to read can be invaluable, but the book meanings do not mean as much as meanings you find within your self and your heart and soul. I rarely consult book meanings at all. I do for two of my decks....The Osho Zen Tarot and the Tao Oracle. This is because these decks embrace and build on Zen and Taoist philosphies, both of which I currently know nothing about and reading the texts teaches that. But otherwise I ignore book meanings.

Babs

Poetic_Pirate

the way i learned could be considered odd...i never read the little books unless i had to, i never had a journal and i never practiced readings on myself. i just did it. i would envision myself doing a reading in my head while shuffling the cards, then put them away without doing a reading. i know it makes little sence, but it seemed to work quite well for me ^_^ but to each thier own

cybercat

MacMorrighan said:
Simple question, n'est pas? What meathods did you use in learning to accurately read the Tarot for others? And, what was your percentage of success as a result?

I was considering starting a Tarot Journal as a meathod of learning the Tarot and being able to use it as a Divinatory Tool (and ditching the book that comes with the deck). For example, I will draw a Card each day, note it down in my journal, and then that evening write about what happened that day. Then, after a while, I can go back to see what-- if any-- themes pop up and are worth noting. I feel that such a meathod may refine itself over time.

Does anyone have any pros or cons re: such a meathod as described above?

Why do you believe that your meathod is so successful for you? (Yes, I'm WAY too left-brained, some times!)

The way I started was out of a book called easy tarot guid by marcia masino. It is actually a course book formate. It is a good starting place and helped alot even though my deck did not follow to code the RWS meanings. At this time I have taken 2 online courses. I am in one now which I am finding interesting. So with that said I will say I am still learning to read tarot.

Now I have done reading for others and what my feedback was surprise. Reason is I was hitting it on the head with stuff I knew nothing about. Also in one of my readings that I did not revel the outcome for a friend because it was something they were hoping for and it was not working as it should. I saw it falling apart on the buying of the home that was being built. I did not tell them but did tell them to reread their paper work and keep on top of it. Well it feel through because they did not like what they saw and what the company was doing.

Even with these experiances I feel I need to learn to read better for I did have to refer to the LWB in both these cases. Some cards I have problems with just getting the meaning I guess.

I too have started a journal and it has helped for I can look back on thought and ideas. I try not to look in a book to get meanings unless I am stumped. On those cards I will research them till I get a ket word meaning. Like just recently I am working with another deck Tarot of Dreams the keyword for me on 2 of swords is indecision. In my other deck I have the keyword is different it is balance or testing. So each deck is differnt in its meaning so we relearn when we buy a new deck. This is where journaling helps alot.

cybercat

Evaliana

Hi! Reading Tarot is so fun and rewarding..especially when your predictions start coming true.
I just bought my first deck about four months ago from Barnes and Noble, and bought the "idiots guide to tarot" and starting reading.
After LOTS and LOTS of practice, you start to "feel" the cards..and start to gradually know the meanings to each card without having to consult your book.
I also rented out numerous books on tarot at my local library, and just reading about it helped my intuition too. The best book I got from the Library was some book called "Learn to Read Tarot in 2 hours" or something similar. It REALLY helped me out. It just told you to say the first thing that jumps in your head when you look at each card. Kind of like telling a story.

I noticed you said you were very left-brained. Well with tarot, you really have to utilize your right brain a bunch. Try to just let go of having to memorize each meaning, and instead, learn how to 'feel' the cards.
it's so hard to explain!!

As for what I have experienced with my readings and what I have seen for others..well there are just too many numerous things. Try just looking to see which posts I have posted hehe:)
Above all, don't worry. It will all come to you, especially if you use your tarot on a daily basis.
Oh, I also started keeping a tarot journal too, that helped a bunch.
Good luck!

ana luisa

I agree that it may sound more reasonable to find a method to read the cards the "right way'... Keeping a journal is an excellent start. I never had a journal as such but loose notes and writings all over the place. (you can tell I´m not very methodical). To me, the downside of assigning meanings to cards is that, as has happened to me, as time passes, the meanings change . Sometimes the meaning of a specific card can change 3 to 4 times a day depending on the person I´m reading to. So, my advice is, go on with the journal but try to free yourself from too many constraints and enjoy the freedom of interpretation. Don´t see it as a mess but as a gift.

blackroseivy

My way was rather embarassing! :| My sister received a set from our odd uncle 1 Xmas, I was more interested than she was, & the upshot is that I used the set - but focused primarily upon The Sexual Key to the Tarot!! As I said, embarrassing! :| (It was the RWS/Eden Grey set from the '70's.)

But I got a feel for how to assign meanings to cards; how to apply them to a situation; & have a good background now to read on relationships!! :p

Umbrae

I learned to read by reading Tarot for others live face to face.

I journaled.

I read no books until I had two decades experience.

Although it is not a path that is right for everybody – I do believe that everybody should try it.

:smoker:

TemperanceAngel

Umbrae said:
I learned to read by reading Tarot for others live face to face.

I journaled.

I read no books until I had two decades experience.

Although it is not a path that is right for everybody – I do believe that everybody should try it.

:smoker:

I am very similar to Umbrae, although I started reading books after a decade.
Tarot is a journey, whatever is appropriate for you works. But, one must learn the cycles of Tarot in conjunct with life if they really want to read or consider reading for others.

Umbrae, now I realise why we get on so well, and remain passionate about how we think one should "learn" the Tarot, for wont of a better word ;)