ok,
so i got my first tarot deck.
got a book.kept them aside.
used my cards my way.
then i read the books.
then i read even more for everyone.
then i tried card pairs.
then i read on philosophical issues.
then i started to mix my oracles and tarot.
then i came here to AT.
first i browsed...and browsed.
and then i did readings by the dozen on the exchange (and still doing them!!).

now:
i still want more people to read for.
i still want more radical ways to play with my cards.
i still want to read more for myself but i'm running out of "issues" ;)

so what do i do next?

a refresher.
something that'll take me to a whole new level.
play with them in a new way.

what? did you ever get to this point?
what do/did you do?
tell me your ideas.
or just tell me you're stuck too (its consoling :D)

just talk to me! lol.

m.

p.s. not sure if this belongs is using tarot cards or here but its more conversational and more like brainstorming so i thought i'd put it here..feel free to move it if its out of place! :)

Skysteel

Hi, mahimaisme. Have you tried reversals yet?
- :D

Maybe you could try to combine the cards with some other form of divination/spiritualism? Try spreads in the shape of runes, or arrange the cards according to astrological signs, or something. Or you could do dream-work - concentrate on the skill of lucid-dreaming and see what happens when you step into the cards in your dreams.

mahimaisme

been there done that

:D
skysteele!
yes, i've done reversals...altho i still don't use them very much for readings except for questions which are specifically asking about "inner" situations.
i do elemental dignities with great enthusiasm- i love them! lol

"Try spreads in the shape of runes, or arrange the cards according to astrological signs"
ahh.... now there's a "eureka" moment! thank you... i will do this today.
actually, i looked through a book on the history of geisha last evening and made a HUGE spread to match the layered details and intricacy (and beauty!:)) of the geisha costume. i loved it :)

m.

Dwaas

Hello mahimaisme,
You've read on philosophical issues. And what about not so heavy matters? Like pet-animals or things? Last time I asked my TV-set how it felt I got the four of wands so I will not start saving this year for a new one. :laugh:
And what about stepping a bit aside from the consulting thing and find out how the game tarot is played?
You can find some info here http://www.pagat.com/tarot/
Perhaps if you find it useful you could learn more about kabalah or astrology. Or about the history of tarot. AT is a never drying well for such matters.
Are you artistic? What about painting or drawing one or a few cards? What about making your own deck??
Maybe you would like to make your own new interesting spreads?
Write a play or poetry with tarot characters involved more or less recognizable.
What music goes with what tarot character?
And sometimes I find it very refreshing to leave the cards for a while and go outdoors enjoying friends, nature, sports, theater etc.
Or get yourself a new deck with a different perspective which you have start studying fresh })
Blessings

mahimaisme

dwaas!
thank you!
tarot, the game...yes...i've never thought of learning much more about that!!... altho i did learn to read tarot cards without having your deck by throwing dice and finding corresponding cards in your mind (that, btw, was FABULOUS!!). maybe the game is similar? anyway, i'll have to have a look at the site you mentioned. thank you.
drawing my own cards...hmm...its occured to me but i've never been able to get myself to do that because i have soo many ideas i simply wouldn't know where to start!!!
i do draw my own 'versions' os cards tho, containing only the main thing that stands out to me about the card at that particular time and how it related to my question...that's interesting too :)
get yourself a new deck.....hm. that's my favourite! :D
thank you!
you've given me more ideas to think about, learn, and do! :)
m.

coeur

I'm always looking for new ways of using tarot (and of course testing it). It might be because I'm a chaote and everything I do has to be experimental and cutting edge and at times maybe even a little dangerous (my motto in magic: getting punched in the gut never gets old!).

I am somewhat scientifically minded (well as much of a scientific mind as someone who reads tarot cards and practises magic gets), so I am constantly looking for accuracy. I think we can all agree that tarot without accuracy is worthless. Then they'd be nothing more than a deck of playing cards with pretty pictures. What I'm interested in is accessing the highest degree of accuracy I can achieve (I'm sure we'll all have failures) and what technique is best at achieving this.

I experiment with different environments (television on? off? people around me? quiet? loud?) and different visualization rituals (lesser banishing ritual of the pentagram? relaxation rituals? visualizing the expansion of the universe?).

At this point I'm interested in honing the tarot's yes-no capabilities. Of course, there are plenty of means of divination that provide better yes-no capabilities...but I'm really only interested in testing tarot. I intend to apply this to the stock market since they offer daily drops and increases which will be easy to monitor. All I'll need to do is turn on the television or check out the Internet to know. Plus, the stock market is in working order most days of the week!

What I want to do is to make tarot a reliable system of conference. I don't want to have people come to me for readings and think: "ehh...well it's just a tarot reading...it's probably not going to be true...." I think that this sort of thinking ultimately defeats the point of tarot, which is serious advice and insight. If you don't take the insight and advice seriously then why are you even consulting to begin with?

mahimaisme

coeur,
yes, accuracy is one aspect. i'd love to hone that skill too but so far i've had accurate enough results using intuitive methods and i'm too busy looking for more ways to develop personally with it and sometimes this accuracy testing thing gets a little side lines.
i've been meaning to do a reading for a current event and check the actual event the next day or whatever foir accuracy but i haven't gotten around to that yet....i've ben too busy thinkinf of how to talk to the images in my cards, for example! :D
yes-no questions are ones i usually use a pendulum for (if its for someone else- when its for me, my mind makes it go whichever direction i want! :p).
i always take the advice of the tarot seriously, but yes, it would be great to have an exact sort of system!!
m.