Questions we Ask of Tarot

euripides

I often do rather vague, intuitive readings, but I need to work on my skills a bit more, so I'm making a list of things to consult the tarot about. I suspect there's a thread here for it - maybe I didn't do the search right. Here's a few ideas so far, some of which I've found mentioned elsewhere on the forum. I've put them all in first person for consistency. Got any more? (hmm... guess the Spreads forum might be handy too.....)

What is the lesson for today?
What should I focus on today?
What/who should I be wary of today?

How do I feel about this person/situation
Which way should I go? Which choice should I make?
Have I made the right choice?

What does this situation mean?
What should I do about this situation?
Is this person/situation as they appear? Are they hiding something?

Who should I listen to? Who should I turn to?

What is the most important consideration in this issue?

What will happen if I continue on this path?

How can I improve this relationship/friendship?

How do I overcome this obstacle?

cheers,
Euri

Zephyros

I think that you can ask Tarot anything in the world. Thats the whole point, after all. I rememeber one member once asked whether to put mushrooms in a certain dish she was cooking. The cards told her yes, and from what I heard it turned out delicious:)

The important thing is never to be dogmatic in terms of what you can or cannot ask. You can ask anything, unless you feel that you can't.:)

tarotbear

closrapexa said:
The important thing is never to be dogmatic in terms of what you can or cannot ask. You can ask anything, unless you feel that you can't.:)

Yes, closrapexa, but the question then becomes 'should you ask questions you don't deserve to have the answer to?' Should one pry into other's privacy merely because 'you can ask anything.' There's the rub! :smoker:

Zephyros

tarotbear said:
Yes, closrapexa, but the question then becomes 'should you ask questions you don't deserve to have the answer to?' Should one pry into other's privacy merely because 'you can ask anything.' There's the rub! :smoker:

I think there is a difference between "can" and "should." Technically I can go out now and kill a person. That does not mean that I should do that. Or if I do, that I won't have to pay the consequences that such an action entails. And as to the age old question "Should you read for other people without their knowledge", I have always said that such knowledge somehow protects itself. You may not get the answers that you want to see, or see answers that apply specifically to you.

For example, if I read about an ex of mine "Will he want to come back to me" most probably the answer will be "Get over him, this isn't doing you any good." Tarot is not a surveillance method. (I wish it was:))

euripides

ok, yes I understand all that.... I'm just looking to brainstorm.... maybe I've missed something important. I'm not debating what you can and can't ask. Just gathering ideas.

And I don't htink anything in life is truly trivial. I've asked a question about that some time ago, asking the tarot about minor stuff... but you know, sometimes those trivial, unimportant decisions can turn out to be life-changing moments. And all those little everyday moments can add up to big things, too.

catlin

Some of querents all time fav questions are:

- will xyz come back to me?
- is xyz faithful to me?
- will I get that job?
- shall I move to ....?
- what will happen if I do soandso?

One of my all time fav is:

- how will ......further develop?

skinofthesoul

I like that developing question, catlin, will make a note of it. One question I asked only recently for someone was, "what is the best way for her to deal with this?"

I like your collection of questions, too, euripides, they make me think. :)

skinofthesoul~

Crowqueen

euripides said:
And I don't htink anything in life is truly trivial. I've asked a question about that some time ago, asking the tarot about minor stuff... but you know, sometimes those trivial, unimportant decisions can turn out to be life-changing moments. And all those little everyday moments can add up to big things, too.

Casting a vote is a trivial event. Yet a few votes in the right (or wrong) place, or even being "too busy" to vote at all, can make a huge difference in a general election.

Also remember that our questions - as seasoned tarot users - are going to be much different to those that normal people (who see tarot as fortune-telling) want to know, and it is "normal people" who essentially pay for our bread, butter, and new Thoth decks :)grin:). I don't think there are any "right" or "wrong" questions, but the querent has to be prepared for the answer. Even on the Reading Exchange forum I've had to be the bearer of bad tidings, but I suppose anyone here is hopefully mature enough to listen and heed warnings rather than stomp off because they didn't like what they heard.

tarotbear

I remember a few years back a newbie asking if she could ask her Tarot deck if Vampires were really real or not...

I have to agree with Crowqueen that us 'seasoned' people do not ask the same types of questions as 'normal people.' We realize that the Tarot is NOT the 'One true answer each-and-every-time super-duper just ask me anything oracle.'

Crowqueen

tarotbear said:
We realize that the Tarot is NOT the 'One true answer each-and-every-time super-duper just ask me anything oracle.'

Well, it is, in the sense that the cards only lie to you (or muddle things up) if you keep asking the same question, but then again you might not like the answer, so you should be wary of the question, and a responsible reader will help the querent focus on what they need to know. I've felt awkward with a number of spreads I've done, but I suppose if they felt they needed to ask for a reading, they need to know the answers.

The vampire question is just daft (although there have been cases of people murdering others and drinking their blood...so the idea of vampirism is a realistic one) but tarot is a mirror, and if you are having a bad hair day it's not sensible to look in it, nor is it sensible or appropriate to rig it up to use it to reflect what's going on in the bedroom across the road, because there are no curtains for the others to draw.

I'm reading a book by the British Rabbi Lionel Blue, and he mentions that he was going through a rocky patch with his lover - he is gay BTW - when he was given a tarot deck as a gift. What is interesting is he doesn't condemn it out of hand, but when he describes "playing the game", as it were, and drawing the Death and Tower cards in the context of his relationship with his partner, his own interest in tarot was pretty much dead in the water, because although they had been playing - and presumably asking a fair enough question - they weren't prepared for the answer.