soap-nut tree

catlin

http://www.garrysun.com/ritha.html

Currently lots of German ecological stores and supermarkets sell soap nuts from soap nut trees.

The hazel nut shaped fruits of this tree are rich in saponine and are apparently not only good for washing your clothes but it is also recommended for washing pets because it is said to be very gentle to the skin and to be free from additives.

I have not tried it out myself but I have a sample of the soap nuts at home.

huredriel

Glad you mentioned this, these were recently advertised in the June issue of Spirit & Destiny magazine in the UK ...... and I meant to order some to see what they're like!!! Must go and dig the mag out again for order info!

catlin

huredriel said:
Glad you mentioned this,

LOL, I am not able to grasp Mingbop's pic for the Photo Excercise but I get your shopping list :p

skinofthesoul

soap nuts

They're brilliant, I use them for my washing :) very eco-friendly, almost free from tensides, easy to use and I just think the nuts could so nicely be used to make a shekere, or maybe a sort of marbles game or something. Haven't got round to that yet, though.

skinofthesoul~

catlin

Yes, I also think it is a shame to throw away the kernels/seeds of the soap-nuts. So I will try out my sample in the next washing.