Coloring decks

SphinYote

I had an idea about coloring decks that I may try if I hav the time, but I thought I'd post the idea in case anyone else was interested.

I'm thinking about scanning one of my decks that I like, or simply looking for an already digital equivalent on, for example, trionfi.com in the card museum, and then enlarging and fading it in photoshop so that the design is visible, but not strongly. Just enough to make out the image.

Then I'm thinking about printing it out and coloring it my own way, just using this version as a guide (maybe just a few of the cards, maybe the entire deck, but it should be interesting).

I was already thinking about ways to take this further, and if I wanted to in the coloring process, depending on what I used to color, I could possibly add symbols or take them out. Or, I could color and decorate it very densely, and then rescan and start the process anew with a new printout of the faded image, when the old one got too filled up, colored, whatever, to work with easily.

Could also print out multiple copies of the same base card and color it different ways.

Or, if I really got motivated (or anyone else on here who thinks this might be an intriguing idea), I could use this idea to create my own deck, ever changing as one keeps rescanning and fading and recoloring or redrawing/decorating the image.

I'm in the process of moving right now, so if I start on this at all, it's not going to be for several weeks, but if someone else wants to toy with the idea, they're welcome to. The idea of an ever-evolving deck is intriguing to me, and this seems like an interesting way of mixing digital media with other artistic media (the only thing I'd be careful about is to try to use some kind of coloring media that wouldn't mess up my scanner should I decide to keep repeatedly rescanning it).

SphinYote

Crowqueen

Sounds fascinating.

The Sharman-Caselli deck has a workbook attached to it which I got through Amazon UK: it provides outline pictures of the cards to colour in so part of the work would already be done.

If you could get it at a reasonable price you might be able to use those outlines as a basis (cut them out of the book since the images are all on one side of the page as it is open) and not have to go to the trouble of trying to manipulate the images in Photoshop to get down to the outlines. But on the other hand it is not an intense deck so if you are looking for good imagery it might not be the ideal deck to use. (However equally, the lack of intense imagery might facilitate the project since you could add to the cards' pictures as well.)

I keep meaning to colour mine in but never have enough time.

starchild

the mythic workbook also has each card on a page where you can colour in. i found the idea interesting but never got around to coloring them in. i still have the book now and its still in black and white.
i did though take my vision quest cards and drew them as best as i could and then coloured them in. the experiment didnt work though as i love the colours in the vision quest deck so much i just ended up coloring in the same colours.
i used pastals and it was lovly adding all that pink and lavander skys.