SG-Crystals, Gems: Lapis Lazuli

cjtarot

Hi all,

Have to leave for a few weeks so I thought this might me one to think about (as usual, my info comes from Encyclopedia of Crystal, Gem and metal Magic by Scott Cunningham)

Lapis Lazuli:

Energy: Receptive
Planet: Venus
Element: Water
Deities: Isis, Venus and Nuit (ohh a ladies stone..lol)
Associated Metal: Gold
Power: Healing, Joy, Love, Fidelity, Psychism, Protection, Courage

Magical/Ritual Lore:

Lapis Lazuli has timeless associations with kings and queens. In ancient Sumer the stone the stone was closely associated with the dieties in general. Carrying it, its possessor bore the potent magical power of a diety, for the stone contained the force behind all divinity. Some said the stone contained the soul of the deity, who would "rejoice in its owner".

Magical Use:

Lapis Lazuli is a rather expensive stone, it healing and it soothing. Simply touching the body with his stone improves your mental, physical spiritual psychic and emotional condition.

It is used to specifaccly to alleviate fevers and desiese of the blood. Lapis lazuli strengthens eyesight of habitually worn. Held in the hand during healing rituals, or placed around blue or purple candles, the stone helps to magician focus energy towards the magical outcome.

There is more in the book. Take a look and then let us know if you have any info on this beauty.

Blessings,

Cj

jema

Lapis Lazuli was used to make a blue colour in the past. they would grind it down into a powder and mix with a medium.
it is said that they used this stone to dye the clothes of the royals in the old days.
(one can imagine it was very expensive)
clear red and blue clothes were very rare in the past since the only way to achieve them was so expensive.

napaea

i don't have more information than what was shared, because I forget what vibrational level it is.

but i love lapis a lot. this stone is so beautiful, and since it is connected to Isis, it is one of my faves.

jema

i too love lapis lazuli.

if i ever got a fortune i would make a mosaic in my bathroom in moonstone and lapis lazuli.
my card for today was Aeon from Thoth!
with the lady Nuit stretching the heavens...

my stone is just a little sliver shaped like a stave. but i keep it right here by the computer in a bowl with other stones i want to be close right now.

catlin

I also love Lapis Lazuli a lot. Ancient Egyptians not only used it for dying clothes but also as an eyeshadow (like Malachite). It was and still is often imitated, eg by Sodalithe.

Another virtue of Lapis Lazuli is that it helps when you suffer from back aches or strains in your neck and shoulders.

Kyrielle

I've heard that this stone won't be available (at least in the US) for a while because a lot of it is mined in the Afghanistan area. So any stones that are here now are it for a time.

-- Kyrielle

the hermit

Kyrielle said:
I've heard that this stone won't be available (at least in the US) for a while because a lot of it is mined in the Afghanistan area. So any stones that are here now are it for a time.

-- Kyrielle

You're right, the majority does come from Afghanistan. Smaller finds from Siberia and Chile will probably be coming in, but they're not as fine as the Afghan stones.

The scientific name is Lazurite with the Lapis Lazuli name generally applied to finished and polished decorative and jewelry stones.

Many Lapis Lazuli stones have been found carved into the image of the Egyptian hippopotamus-goddess Toeris.

It is these stones that the ancients called "sapphires" the gems of Venus. It was believed to be a cure for melancholy and helped with firmness, stability and preservation. They also believed it was representative of the blue sky of heaven and thus wearing it would counteract the wiles of spirits of darkness, while procurring the aid and favor of the spirits of light and wisdom.

As well as being used by the ancients as a dye, the ground powder from this stone is what the old painting masters used to make "ultramarine".

starfish66

I love Lapis! In fact, I've recently purchased a necklace (I'm waiting for it to get it - impatiently waiting ;)) that i've had my eye on for some time.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread. I'm learning so much in this group study.

(I'm going to try and attach a photo).

:THERM Starfish

Attachments

• lapis necklace.jpg
    lapis necklace.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 189

catlin

Wow, Starfish, where did you find this beauty?! Pleeease let me know!

starfish66

catlin said:
Wow, Starfish, where did you find this beauty?! Pleeease let me know!

Actually, on eBay! But I have emailed the seller to find out where another one can be purchased. I will PM you any details they pass on to me.

I can't wait to receive it! Now, to pick out a lovely silver chain to wear it on ;)

Blessings -

:T10C Starfish