Tarot readers with no technical understanding from studying books etc.

WhiteWizzard

Recently I started a relationship with a Lady that has been doing Tarot readings over the phone for years, she claims to have regular customers etc. I thought she must have a great deal of knowledge. To my surprize when I asked her to expand on the meanings of the cards she admitted to not having any knowledge of the Rider-Waite deck she was using. Her technique was just looking at them, subconscious impressions forming in her mind. Telling me that if I read any material on the subject it was useless and contradictory. When I mentioned 4 of Cups for example, she could not even describe what was on the card, let alone tell me how it related to others in the deck. Is this common, readers out there practicing and being paid , with Zero technical understanding of what Waite and those that followed have written.

Satori

I have only read one book by Waite....and that would be his and Pixie's Tarot deck. })

Is it a problem for you that she hasn't studied?
Are her readings accurate?

Umbrae

I began reading Tarot in 1972.

I read my first book on Tarot in the mid-1990's.

I journaled, took notes, developed my own skills.

I've known some other readers from the same school.

And if you may want to read this thread here to discover about reading with carpet samples and altoids. Follow more links on that thread and discover toothpicks, raindrops, the bones of a dead cat...

The key here is divination, and recognising that Tarot is nothing more than a tool.

:smoker:

WhiteWizzard

No problem with a reader not having technical knowledge.

She claims to have success with what she does , however what amuses me, is that she derides the notion of bettering yourself by studying what others have to said or have written. Including Waite, the man that designed the deck she reads from.

Grizabella

**When I mentioned 4 of Cups for example, she could not even describe what was on the card,**

I can accept a person not having read any books and not knowing the history of the deck they use, but the above statement really put me off. If she can't describe what's on the card, then there's something odd there, if you ask me. Is this someone you know in person? Or is it someone you just deal with on the phone? If you just know her from phone dealings, then I'd wonder if she's even using a deck of cards. Surely a person using a deck could describe to you what's on a card that's in front of them.

Abrac

Hi WhiteWizzard-

This woman sounds more like a psychic than a tarot reader to me. Personally, I prefer forms of divination that involve the interpretation of signs as opposed to psychic visions. There are pros and cons to both methods, but this woman, if she advertises as a tarot reader, is being slightly misleading, imo.

-fof

WhiteWizzard

In conversation with the person face to face, I mentioed for example 4 of cups, thinking that if she had been using the cards for years. A visual image would have to come to her mind of the cross legged man sitting against the tree being offered a cup from the cloud, she was not able to recall what was on the card. Then I actually picked out the 3 of swords asked her what it meant to her, her answer-- symbolic of hard work. To me 3 of Swords is one of the strongest and most obvious images in the Rider deck. In her opinion all cups are good positive cards, Swords being negative. She was rejecting the idea that 4, 5, 7, of cups could be seen as less than positive.

Edge

Whitewizard said:
Is this common, readers out there practicing and being paid , with Zero technical understanding of what Waite and those that followed have written.

Not sure how common I do know this, you can sell ANYTHING. These days practically anyone can start up a web site and start selling regardless of age, experience or any real knowledge or understanding of their craft, product or trade. Buyer beware. That said, if I am going to sell any product including tarot readings I'm going to make every effort to know my "product" inside out. For two reasons, one so I don't look like a fool and two out of respect to my colleagues.

I don't believe any book can replace actual experience, but on the other hand, as a STUDENT (and I stress that word) of tarot I personally feel it is important to understand the history, symbolism, and other related details of the tarot. That said, I know their are many reliable and ethical readers "out there" again I would say "buyer beware". :)

minimonster777

I had read somewhere that a good exercise for the beginner is to read "from the gut", without any reference material...just going by the images on the cards for a few weeks before actually reading books on the subject. I decided to put it "to the test" and asked my boyfriend (who has no knowledge of the tarot whatsoever) so read for me.

After I had explained what a spread was (I said that he had no knowledge about it!) he proceeded to draw six cards and arrange them in what he called the "Diablo Spread" (which I may post later) and interpret the cards for me.

He wasn't too far off, funnily enough :D

I am of the belief that if a card means something to YOU, and it isn't the same as something you've read in the books, then that is what the card really means.

However, having a paying clientele and not having any background knowledge of your tool of choice does sound strange, unless she is an honest-to-goodness psychic and found her focus in the cards, I guess :)

Rosanne

I bet that made you stop in your tracks WhiteWizzard! I find it hard to believe that someone who has been using RWS for years(even over the phone) could not bring the description of a card to mind. I have no problem with intuitive readings and no book learning- there are many great readers out there who read that way. They still need the the card or they are not Tarot readers- as Fools Fool said she probably is psychic- shame she claims to read Tarot. Enjoy your relationship- it should be interesting :p ~Rosanne