What crystal is this thing?

Wisp Wings

I have that question, what is it? I bought some quartz, which I have so many of, from many different shops. Well I had bought some more and some other crystals too and the person insisted that I get some of this one stone. I left with three of them. I gave the other two away and so I am left with one.

Here is what throws me. I know, at least quite well what tumbled and polished what Rose Quartz looks like and I have many of them. This stone isn't tumbled and I was told that what these were is Rose Quartz and the attributes are exactly as what I know it is.... well for Rose Quartz. I can't hardly believe that the look of Rose Quartz would change so much from rough cut to tumbled!!!!!! ????????

The best way to describe this stone doesn't do a vegetarian any good. Okay, it isn't the various shades of soft to medium pink that the tumbled stone is. This isn't like turn up the volume on the pink either.......well. Okay, here goes, but I hate typing this....... it is like looking at a stone trying to look like a morsel of meat in a raw state....raw and left unattended so long that almost all the blood has drained from it. So you are left with not the strong red of beef, like a roast to be made, but an fleshy orangish look rather than the fresh red of beef. It truly does make me think of a bite of uncooked roast beef. It even has the marbling that meat would have. This stone is HIGHLY GLOSSY! So glossy that it even looks wet. Could this be some sort of marble? I think it is translucent, just the thickness prevents more to be seen. My stone is a little more than an inch or so. It sits rather diagonally and is marked with marbling in this some diagonal direction that it sits. The marbling is a clearish light pinkish white. The widest line of marbling on mine does have a rainbow within it. What the heck is this? If it is some marble stone, what is this? It isn't opaque. It looks like anemic meat, pale dark fleshy pinkish-orange like! Orange probably isn't right, but pink isn't either. Just think, drained, anemic, high gloss meat. YUCK, I know.

Okay, please help me out here Rockhounds, what is this morsel of meat turned to a high gloss stone??????? And sorry follow Veggies out there.

Leleii

Could you take a picture of it? I am very curious.
Guessing, Maybe a rhodochroscite-that is pink with white swirly things in it.
Leleii

BodhiSeed

Could it possibly be carnelian in the rough? I have some rose quartz in the rough and it doesn't look anything like the description you gave of your stone!

Many blessings,
Bodhran

Kyrielle

If it is very glossy and translucent then it could be some sort of naturally-occuring glass, something like obsidian, which is a volcanic glass, but obviously with different mineral inclusions to make it that weird color.

But it is hard to tell without seeing a picture.

Wisp Wings

See the stone

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=rs9p37r.ol18ybr&x=0&y=-k8v3r9

You don't have to sign in to view these. Just double click onto the album with the Quartz Crystal on it. Sorry, there is two albums there and the unknown stone is the second one. So if you don't want to go through 21 pictures of this crystal, you can once in the next page scroll to the bottom and there is a link to click on saying Browse all albums (2). After clicking on that is a pop-up of both albums to choose from. "What is this stone?" is the one I made for this, so all can view it.

Wisp Wings

Added Info

I meant to tell you all that these pictures are all just the actual stones laying directly on my scanner. So they aren't photos. The color of the unknown shows much more amber colored than it really is. My husband when I asked him, "If you were to describe this stone to someone, what would you say?", he said it kind of made him think of salmon, except salmon is more lighter and pinker. He definitely agreed that it looked like a piece of meat to him too and especially after I read to him the opening thread.

I wonder what this would be good to use for metaphysically.

MCsea

HI,

I think it is actually calcite - Id actually call this orange calcite, from the photos - but if in real life its more pink - its pink calcite, the GLOSSY nature of your description gave it away, also it should be pretty soft, you could make a scratch on it with your finger nail or say a quartz crystal..

IF its HARD - ie does not scratch you have a type of orange quartz.

Hope its soft!

MARINA

Leleii

Orange Calacite

I agree, it looks like orange calcite to me to, definetely not rhodochrosite.
Do not put the stone in water, it could melt if it is orange calcite.
From the book--Love is the Earth by Melody.
The mineral releases electrical impulses when placed under pressure and is
an energy amplifier. It helps the mind and body to remember--the mind to
remember information brought to bear during astral travel and channeling.
Placing calcite, of the appropriate chakra color upon the chakra, clears the
chakra.
Hope this helps.
Leleii

Wisp Wings

I think I now know what this is.

Please read to the end of at least this post, if not the entire thread.

Thank you for your replies to my quest in finding this stone out. Thanks to you I was sent off with a path at finding this. It isn't soft. I can't make any markings on it. Whichever stone it is, it is made ever time due to carbonated water running over the rocks/minerals. I have for over two hours looked at hundreds of pictures. Literally 50 pages of images once I thought I've found the correct one. Well this could be red cerussite. Which you don't see many of them. However I really think this is Wulfenite. This stuff is the strangest stuff, as it has several different looks, textures and colors. I've saved about 12 pics that look similar to mine. I don't want to get into it with copyrights, so here is a link or two. Go down to about half and also a bit more down, like three-quarts down to see the ones like mine.

http://irocks.com/edd1.html

http://www.mindat.org/picshow.php?id=36469

I did see a few Red Cerussite that looked like this somewhat too and there is an Orange Quartz too, but this stone doesn't have the sides to it really that you see with all the quartz.

Thank you all for your help. If you find or know of something that more fits this, let me know. Also, with all that hunt, another rock shop in the small communities I got it at had a site with Wulfenite on it. I really tend to think this is a Wulfenite. WRONG! IT IS A CALCITE AFTERALL. IT IS A RED CALCITE. Not meaning to shout, just editting to let all know it is not Wulfenite, but a Calcite.

skygreen

It really looks like Calcite to me