In love with my deck or just obsessed??

Galatea

I have this embarrassing problem... I seem to be obsessed with my favorite deck. I already own two copies of it, and everytime I see it available for purchase the thought comes across my mind to buy yet another copy. It is like I love the deck so much that everytime I see a copy of it I want to buy it again because it reminds me of how happy I am to have this deck. Or if it is that I don´t completely trust that I have this wonderful deck in my possession, and therefore feel the pull of buying it again. What stops me from buying more copies of this deck is that I don´t think it is fair to the copies I already own to purchase any more, as if that would actually lessen their spiritual value, nor is it fair to other people who are potential owners of this deck to remove their possibility of getting it.

I also feel like I should get rid of the second copy I have of this deck and give it to someone else who could also enjoy it and that that would truly be the best way of multiplying this joy I have, sharing it with others instead of hamstering by myself. I am truly embarrassed that I have this tendency!!!

I know this is a really crazy problem, but the bottom line is that I just truly love my deck so much, I love tarot so much, I am so happy about all these things. How can I honor this joy for my wonderful deck better than engaging in more commercial activity, how can I be stilled in this joy and instead multiply it by sharing and showing gratitude??? Any suggestions for a tarot-ritual of gratitude or something that I could do?

Umbrae

Easy answer.

Listen to yourself. From within the voice of your own wisdom comes your folly.
Galatea said:
What stops me from buying more copies of this deck is that I don´t think it is fair to the copies I already own to purchase any more
Fairness to bits of cardboard and ink? That is not love. You are justifying behavior. That’s obsession.

Many professional readers own two copies of a deck. Under professional use, a deck may get worn and battered over the years. Should it go out of print, then we have a replacement.

Diminish their spiritual value? Spiritual value comes from your heart, my heart – not cardboard and ink.

star-lover

hi there

perhaps if you like the deck so much you could get art prints for some of the cards to put on your wall? don't know which deck it is but i've seen quite a few on the internet that you can buy posters and prints to frame for the cards

just an idea

tmgrl2

Good suggestions so far!

I do have three copies of the Morgan Greer. One is a 1979 Waddington Press deck, which I use for readings. One is a new version that I keep in my home office (I carry one with me in the car)...and one is in a photo albums, four to a page, with all Aces together, all two's, and so forth.

So that's three I have for those reasons...But simply buying more decks doesn't make sense as it pertains to the Tarot.

I happen to have two IJJ Swiss Tarots...one is from the 1970's. I like the "oldness" of it when I read. The other one was the first one I bought.

Otherwise, I have a single copy of other decks.

terri

Grizabella

I went a little nuts over the Gilded tarot like that for awhile, but I got extras to give as gifts. I did get an extra in case the first one wore out and went out of print, though.

But you know what? The frenzy died down after awhile, the obsession moved on, and I recently even traded off my second copy for something I wanted more. :p I realised that the Gilded isn't one that's likely to go out of print any time soon and besides, I started using my other decks again and my current favorite is the Robin Wood, so the Gilded isn't getting so much heavy use and not in danger of wearing out soon.

Spend your energy learning your deck, get a second copy if you think you must in case the first wears out, and soon another one will come along that you want to get a second copy of------maybe. Or maybe by then you'll have learned that there's no need to go crazy because there will always be another new deck to get passionate about.

memries

I think the word you are looking for is "scrupulosity". It does happen. I do not mean to be insulting but have had that happen to me in another area.
You just have to get every little thing right and nothing is enough ?
It passed is all I can say. And it did not last very long. I think spotting the concern is half the battle.

The art prints sounds like a super idea.

blackstormhawk

tmgrl2 said:
and one is in a photo albums, four to a page, with all Aces together, all two's, and so forth.

That is an excellent idea!! I have to do that myself!!!

I just have to figure out which deck to do that with ...

tmgrl2

Welcome, blackstormhawk...

Actually, I did this with a number of decks when I first started reading Tarot...I still have 4 albums with decks set out this way...small, inexpensive photo albums...I have the Hadar, Morgan Greer, RWS, Conver, Dodal, Noblet...a few more....when threads come up about particular cards, I find these really helpful.

terri

ravenest

Galatea, maybe you are the Imelda Marcos of Tarot (remember her and her shoe collection?) :)

The idea of the posters are good. I knew someone who 'loved' the Thoth deck 2 of cups card. When they were travelling in India a merchant harrased them to buy a carpet, any carpet ... I will even make one to your own design.
Okay then, try this.
Now the guy has this beautiful 2 of cups RUG hanging on the wall.

Abrac

Galatea said:
Or if it is that I don´t completely trust that I have this wonderful deck in my possession, and therefore feel the pull of buying it again.
I can relate. There are some decks I love so much that every time I see it the thought crosses my mind to buy it.

There are a lot of good reasons I can think of for acquiring multiple copies of a deck. I have no problem with that. But consuming to alleviate fear isn't one of them. Only you can decide for yourself if you've crossed that line.

What stops me from buying more copies of this deck is that I don´t think it is fair to the copies I already own to purchase any more
About the only thing that can stop me is my bank account. :(

Abrac