Anyone else find reading pretty draining?

velocitygirl

Yeah, it's weird because when I'm really tired or something (which I have been lately) I don't do readings for AGES. I just can't seem to do it. And if I make myself do it, the readings are really bad.

And when I'm not really going through a time when I'm really tired, I do a lot of readings and they sometimes make me feel really exhausted.

Sorry if it's a dumb question or anything. I'm not wonderfully experienced in tarot, but I don't feel like it makes a huge amount of sense either. Could just be me.

cheekyminx

Ah huh, not a silly question. I am the same....it does drain you. You need to ground yourself before a reading....Im sure there is a thread somewhere on grounding or someone more experienced person will explain this to you. I don't ground myself, naughty naughty I know :)

Apollonia

Basic psychic hygiene works for me

I found I needed to ground and shield myself, before reading, to make an intention that I maintain neutrality as I read, to drink plenty of water during and after a reading, and, most important, to ground myself again after the reading, reclaim any energy I left with the querent, and return any energy to the querent that is still with me. Doing these things makes a huge difference for me.

SunChariot

I have part of that. I can't read when I'm tired. The readings are affected and their quality goes downhill. It takes a certain amount of focus for me. And when tired I'm likely to miss things that I would normally see.

Reading itself though does not tire me, and I do some really long ones. I don't read for others in person though. So, for me, I just stop when I get tired and pick it back up later when I feel better. Maybe that's why. Once the cards are chosen I don't feel obligated to finish the reading the same day.

I worked on the last reading I did over a three day period, a couple of hours a day (3 questions of 3 cards each--including some additional info on the subjects touched on in the reading taken from the Net--31 pp typed if you can believe that!). But I am quite happy with the end result. When my focus goes down, indicating I am getting at bit to tired to concentrate properly, I put it away, go rest, and come back when I feel more rested. So usually, I feel quite relaxed, content and fulfilled after a reading, but not tired.

Babs

a_shikhs

I too cannot do readings when Im really tired. I feel as if I dont have the energy to open the deck and read the cards. It does happen. Thus it is necessary to be fresh before doing a reading as a lot of energy goes in reading the cards.

Grizabella

If you give it some thought, you don't do anything well when you're really tired, do you? I know I don't.

Also, I get extremely tired and drained when reading if I'm being too intense and trying too hard over it. It's much better when I relax and just let the reading flow. Then I'm fit as a fritter when I'm finished and don't feel drained and exhausted. Of course, if I'm reading for hours, then I'm going to feel more tired at the end than if I've only done one or two readings.

Maybe you should just take a moment to relax and calm yourself and trust the process before you start to read. I guess that's what's meant by "centering and grounding", though, huh? That would be the same thing.

Umbrae

a lot of new readers post this question sooner or later.

I'd suggest doing a search.

advice: Hydrate - and 'ground'.

Barbaras Ahajusts

I follow my bio lines and watch Mars when its about to approuch retrograde.
It may sound silly to some, but it has always worked for me.

I can't read for 5 days now. If I do, I take the chance of my energy that isn't safe to deal with (anyway) and it will reflect upon the cards. No thank you! I want to be as clear as I can be!

That would be like doing readings in public, in the middle of a rest room after a bad chili cookoff! To much energy being directed everywhere!

Rest, rest, rest. Hydrate like Umbrae said and REST after a reading unless your intuitive is high and recharged!
Then if everyone is blowing hard core energy everywhere, you will only be attuned to your own hard core intuition! So, reading in a bathroom after a bad chili cookoff is ok to deal with! ;)

:heart:Barb

Tarotphelia

I find that usually it's not the actual reading that tires me , it's the thought of reading . The thought of getting close to people and their problems , getting inside their lives - yish ! The responsibility to try to put things the right way , and hopefully have everything correct and making sense sometimes seems like a whole bunch of effort.

Usually once the reading gets going and I raise enough energy to deal with it , I can actually end up feeling rather invigorated and buzzy .

SarahRose

I read my best when it's the end of the day and I've lived the whole day out, actually. Interesting. It seems that I get the most intuitive then. :)