astro chart and psychic opening

BrightEye

I was reading a story today. in it one of the old women draws an astrological chart on the main character’s chest, and this drawing of the chart leads to some kind of psychic opening of the character. Can it do that?

dadsnook2000

Symbols come in many forms

Sybmols. The astrological chart is a symbol, often used as a personal symbol when the chart corresponds to one's time and place of birth. A powerful symbol indeed. Many cultures use face and body painting under many social and event occurances to signify a change in the person involved. When a celebration or a ceremony occurs, it involves many people in addition to the focus person. All of this energy is directed to, and often welcomed by, the recipient.

It would seem more probable that the drawing of ones chart upon ones chest would signify a re-alignment, an affirmation, a dedication to one's purpose. This would be a powerful moment. Can you tell us more? Dave.

Note to moderators: I believe I inadvertantly posted this response as a new thread. Could it be removed as a new thread and the response left here?

MCsea

Hi BrightEye,

I remember reading (somewhere) when I first started studying astrology that a natal chart - just viewed in its circle and lines and star signs can open the person to 'realising' their potential, much like an unconscious - subliminal re-awakening, that the interpretation talks to the conscious mind and ego.
I agree with dadsnook2000 the ceremony of the paint would be very powerful too.

MARINA

BrightEye

dadsnook2000 said:
Sybmols. The astrological chart is a symbol, often used as a personal symbol when the chart corresponds to one's time and place of birth. A powerful symbol indeed. Many cultures use face and body painting under many social and event occurances to signify a change in the person involved. When a celebration or a ceremony occurs, it involves many people in addition to the focus person. All of this energy is directed to, and often welcomed by, the recipient.

It would seem more probable that the drawing of ones chart upon ones chest would signify a re-alignment, an affirmation, a dedication to one's purpose. This would be a powerful moment.
that's exactly how it is in the story. the drawing of the chart ushers the character into an experience of initiation and re-aligns him with his 'purpose' as you say.

MCsea said:
I remember reading (somewhere) when I first started studying astrology that a natal chart - just viewed in its circle and lines and star signs can open the person to 'realising' their potential, much like an unconscious - subliminal re-awakening, that the interpretation talks to the conscious mind and ego.
yes, it's very much an 'unconscious' thing. the person descends into the 'underwaters of the self'. what he fails to do is to translate it to the conscious mind. you wouldn't, by any chance, remember where you read that?

thanks to the both of you. that was very illuminating!

MCsea

Sorry bright eye, since reading your post I have been trying to remember where I heard/read it, I know it was about 20 years ago at a course I did - introduction to astrology, but apart from that I cant remember, but Ill keep thinking... but that 'theory' has been firmly entrenched in my belief system and I think I relied on it much more than I previously thought I did.. I do produce charts and laminate them for gifts - and have done for many years with the card saying -- just seeing your natal chart can help you move forward... hmmm

thank you for the thread..

MARINA

TenOfSwords

Reminds me off something

Reading the thread really reminded me of the veil concept in gnosticism where every person has an associated symbolic representation of him/herself on the veil between this world and the original divinity. Passage after death consist of a search for this symbol accompanied by a psychopompos (I'm simplifying a lot).

I haven't read gnosticism for years, so the terminology I use might be a bit off (my memory isn't doing too good either lately) but I'd be a bit surpised if there wasn't something connecting this.

Does it ring a bell with anyone?

BrightEye

TenOfSwords said:
Reading the thread really reminded me of the veil concept in gnosticism where every person has an associated symbolic representation of him/herself on the veil between this world and the original divinity. Passage after death consist of a search for this symbol accompanied by a psychopompos (I'm simplifying a lot).
could be. in the story it's an old woman who draws the chart on the boy's chest. she's like a spiritual guide to the community, so she could be a psychopomp.

the story is actually set in the caribbean and there are lots of references to voodoo and obeah, but i wouldn't be surprised if gnosticism also came into it.